Archinect
anchor

Cool, Affordable Laptop Bags or Backpacks

monkeyboy

Now that i have purchased a tank of a laptop (Inspiron XPS-Gen2). I need to get a bag for its transport. I think i will be having a heafty commute for gradate school. Can anyone recomend some nice bags that wont put me in more debt. I am open to messenger mabs but am wondering if the backpack is a better idea due to the commute.

Jul 7, 05 3:07 pm
sure2016
www.manhattanportage.com
Jul 7, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
sarahjane
www.tumi.com

Good quality stuff.

Jul 7, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
dragonfly
www.chromebags.com

messengers, laptop cases,etc

Jul 7, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy
http://www.axio-usa.com/site_home.html
Jul 7, 05 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/2909426/c/3.html
Jul 7, 05 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
sunburntkamel
timbuk2

their commute bag is awesome. and water repellant.

Jul 7, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Spire packs rock...I have owned the laptop backpack for years.

http://www.spireusa.com/

Jul 7, 05 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood
www.booqbags.com
Jul 7, 05 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
somer
Acme Made
Jul 7, 05 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
somer

ah, but for an awesome backpack, try:
Mountain Equipment Co-op
www.mec.ca
...excellent durability, Canadian made, and in Canadian funds, so you will definitely be able to afford it

Jul 7, 05 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Got a great Backpack w/ a pull handle & even wheels @ WalGreen's for $19.99. Still working 4 yrs later, although I overloaded it one too many times & broke the handle. God Bless the People's Republic of China. We're gonna be their 51st state one day!

Jul 7, 05 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

I second sunburntkamel's suggestion of timbuk2. The commute bag completely rules, comes in cool colors (mine is orange and yellow, BRIGHT), and is basically indestructable. Another awesome feature is that there is a rapid-adjust clamp on the shoulder strap that allows the bag to be converted from a regular shoulder bag to a bike/messenger bag; it's a brilliant feature I use all the time. Also, there are about a billion pockets and storage places, not to mention plenty of space in the main 2 compartments. GREAT BAG.

Jul 8, 05 12:13 am  · 
 · 
rabbits

Oh and it also dosent look like a "laptop bag", making you less of a theft target. I don't know if that's important to you, but it's a must in Chicago.

Jul 8, 05 12:15 am  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

Brenthaven used to be the best on the market for protection, they make ones that fit apples now, I got one for my pc in '98 so Id guess that the still make them

Jul 8, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
e

i have a freitag. it waterproof, expandable, recyclable, and no one has one exactly like mine.

Jul 8, 05 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

My in-laws bought me a laptop as a going back to school present. My partner and I were looking through this thread last night because I need a case, and she pointed out that the ones I liked cost almost 1/2 the price of the laptop. I might have to go w/MysteryMan's contribution to the discussion.

Jul 8, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

i use one of those canvas shopping bags from trader joes ($5) and a memory foam sleeve ($20).

Jul 8, 05 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
the power pizza
Jul 8, 05 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
earthgirl

check this out http://www.ebags.com/shaun_jackson_designs_inc/laptrap/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=9444

Hey, how do you make a link active?

Jul 8, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
earthgirl

nevermind, i get it now..

Jul 8, 05 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
earthgirl

also, google UPRIGHT VERTICAL BRIEF (couldnt find a good link). Not exactly "affordable" but definitely awesome. I've had this bag for a year and I love it. Has pockets for everything, including file folder pockets in back. Plus, you can carry it as a backpack, a shoulder bag, or by its handle. If you shop around online you can find it for around $130...wish i could remember the site I found it on, some obscure site..

Jul 8, 05 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

Earthgirl...really you like that bag? I thought the idea was good but it misses the mark. Plus Shawn Jackson is a pompus ass from all acounts i have heard and the few run ins with him in the hallway etc (he is art school faculty at Umich)

Jul 8, 05 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

John Jourden, that is the best link ever. I might make one for myself JUST BECAUSE.

Jul 8, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
db

waterfield designs: www.sfbags.com

Jul 9, 05 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
o+

www.chromebags.com

had mine for 3 years now, looks like new

Jul 10, 05 2:39 am  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

so far.. i am really dinging the boblbee bags, but i am not sure if any will fit my new laptop.

Jul 11, 05 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

what i am afraid of is dropping any bag i have and the boblbee bags seem to be able to withstand any shock. soft shell bags dont seem to be able to protect the laptop in the event it slides off your shoulder or desk or something.

Jul 11, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i just saw some cool ones at mandarina duck this week....oh but yeah i missed the "affordable" part

Jul 12, 05 4:45 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but I just bought a Michael Graves laptop case for $29 at Target. I honestly didn't know it was his design when I picked it up, it just seemed very cool. Hyper sturdy handle, and removable sleeve, which is what I wanted because sometimes I just want to slide my laptop in my backpack. The front pocket is kind of weird, but otherwise, I really like it. It looks like it will take a lot of abuse. We'll see.

Jul 16, 05 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

I love my Everlane backpack. Very minimal. Sturdy materials. Unique. Great value. https://www.everlane.com/produ... 

Feb 7, 18 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Not really a laptop bag but I have to give a shout-out to my Christmas gift to myself:

https://www.seallinegear.com/i...

Fully water-proof commuter bag with a simple roll-top closure. Pricey but 100% worth it, I had another nice bag but it just got destroyed by simple commuting. UK weather is brutal sometimes.

Feb 7, 18 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've been rocking one of these bad boys for 5 years now. http://recycledseatbelts.ca/product/courierbag-4

Feb 7, 18 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Those look great. Living in Halifax, there was a company somewhere on the coast that repurposed old sail-boat canvases into a similar thing and sold them at the local markets, they were incredibly hardy and durable.

Feb 7, 18 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've seen some of those around as well. I'd certainly get a bag like yours above if I would bike to the office...

Feb 7, 18 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
aiaiden

MATEIN and Mancro have charging backpacks for daily commuting. If you want a lot of padded laptop cases, check them out. I stuffed a dress there, and then used this MATEIN bag for a day trip by plane.

Mar 30, 20 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: