Archinect
anchor

i fought the law...and i won

vado retro

while takin a sunday cruise this morning i came over a rise doing about twenty miles over the posted speed limit. and of course, there in the highway median sat an unmarked state trooper. i wizzed by a cursed aloud. i saw in my rearview that his backup lights went on meaning he was turning around and coming after vado. i saw a side road gunned my ride and took it. it was a dirt road and flew down it like a freakin duke of hazard(and i had just washed my ride) i thought for sure smokey would see my dust trail and follow me, but he didnt i drove on some back farm roads for awhile until i found a parallel highway to take me to my destination. quite a rush woohoo.

May 15, 05 6:12 pm
driftwood

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaaaawwwww!

May 15, 05 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
ideo

i'll catch u next time.....:(

May 15, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

nice work. thats the kind of thing that I always want to do in those situations, but never, NEVER are there good back roads and alleys to speed off to.

May 15, 05 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

consider yourself lucky with the smokey. if you were in los angeles, that would have been your last project..
200 rounds on a driver in compton by coppers couple o days ago.

May 15, 05 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Whats with LA and car chases? Whenever I watch one of those wonderful "Worlds Worse Police Chase" a good chunk of them (all viewed from helicopter) are from LA. Are they a regular occurance there?

May 15, 05 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

tv stations even have commercial breaks during hot pursuits.
don't touch that dial, stay tuned for what happens on burbank exit...

May 15, 05 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

Crazy! I just watched Smokey & The Bandit last night and had to explain to my girlfriend what a smokey was!

May 16, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i'm 16, it's a friday night. two friends and i are riding around town with nothing to do. i mean we are bored. we're in the neighborhood of my old elemenary school and i decide what the hell i'm gonna take my '82 ford ranger up over the curb and do a few doughnuts around the playground. we get into the second turn and from out of no where this white pickup with 'city schools' written on the side starts chasing us. i haul ass and manage to shake the guy in the network of streets around the school. well we are all fired up at this point, so we decide to go to the 'other' school entrance and try it again. well sure enough we get halfway through the first doughnut and here comes the security guard in hot persuit. we are in stiches and having the time of our lives. this goes on for about 30 minutes until we finally we decide it's about time to head home but want to make one more pass just to see where the guard is.

we're creeping along with lights off staring down the long street when out of no where this car comes screaming around the corner. i manage to flick on my lights at the last second which the car sees and has to swerve to miss me. the car passes... it's a fucking cop! well needless to say i hauled ass again. i figure he's going the otherway pretty speedy and i'm in a dense residential neighborhood so i might be able to give ditch em. well i get about half a mile down the road and sure enough here he comes but his lights are off. so i'm trying to put a little more distance between me and him and am slow rolling through stop signs left and right. after about 7 or 8 stop signs he guns it catching up to me and my 4 cyclinder in about 4 secons flat. lights are on so we decide the chase is up.

i pull over to the right and sit there thinking he's gonna come up to the window and give me a real tongue lashing.. well from over the police loud-speaker i hear "driver turn off the vehicle, take the keys from the ignition and drop them out of the window" well this is not what i expect but i do as he says. next it's "driver, roll down the window open t he car door from the outside and step out of the vehicle and face toward the front of the vehicle." i do as he says and am standing there (my friends are wide eyed looking straight forward still in the truck not moving a muscle) the cop tells me to face my truck and put my hands on the vehicle but do not look towards him. so i do as he says but as i'm doing it i steal a glance back at the cop... well i nearly shat my pants.. he's got his gun pulled, legs spread (in an extended arm stance like you see in the movies) he yells at me in a crackley voice almost like he's as scared shitless as i am. so i do as he says, he comes over, handcuffs me and takes me back to his car. by then there are about 3 other cops cars that have pulled up with lights and sirens blazing.

well to wrap it up. when we were doing doughnuts in the school yard the security guard, for whatever reason, thought we were trying to break into the school. so he called the cops and tells them this. so the cops basically pulled me over thinking we're some school robber. it took quite some convincing and pleaing that we were indeed not some criminal trying to break into my old elementary school.. the cop ended up calling my folks and it was this big huge mess in my house hold for about a month because the cop ended up giving me a wreckless driving ticket, running stop signs and driving without my headlights ticket. he said had i been 18, i would be in jail for quite some time. so lesson learned at an early age... don't run from cops..

May 16, 05 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

You're not as cool as vado.

May 16, 05 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I got pulled over for doing 108mph on a 65mph. Similar police procedure. I hear over the loudspeaker to get out of the car, not to look towards the driver, and put my hands on the dash. He tossed me in the back of the car with cuff all tight. I had to wear long sleeved shirts for the rest of the summer because the bruises were so bad, and I dd not want my parents to find out. Those cuffs hurt like hell! Definitely the last time I want to feel those.

May 16, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
form64

1987, 3am , central Arizona desert BFE, 110mph. Flew past a trooper hiding in the median srcub bushes. He lit it up instantly as I was passing his spot. I'd bet his beeping radar woke his ass up!

200 feet ahead was an off ramp in the midddle of nothing. (God sent it to me, LOL) I braked then dove for it screeching all 4 tires, killed the headlights, did the round about back under the freeway into a tiny white trash trailer park, which looked like something right out of a movie.

I zig zagged through the park in the dark as the trooper followed me in then went up and down each lane with his spot light as I was about pissing myself. I snuck back to the park entrance as he was at the rear.

I slid back onto the elevated highway slowly and could still see him below scanning for me. I kept my lights out for a mile up the highway as I escaped a sure lockup had I been caught. He never knew where I went and was too stupid apparently to call up the road to nail me. Or didn't care?

BTW students, this was 18 years ago when I was just out of university. Thought I was a bad ass in my new fast car. I do NOT condone this behavior. (Unless you have good escape routes planned or a REAL fast car!)

May 16, 05 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
ether

my dad had a client that owned a a 1990 bonneville that was all suped up - engine, suspension, etc. he would enter it into the land speed races out in nv/salt flats. the thing would do 220+. he would take it out onto the interstate between birmingham and montgomery (int-65) around 3 or 4 in the morning and test drive it to check on the fine tuning. he never was caught (he might still be doing this) but could you imagine the cops reaction when that fucker flew by?

May 16, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Last summer on my way to a site visit out of town, about a nine hr. drive, not really sure of how long it should take, so I am driving fast.... like 140-150 k (2002 Audi ) pulled from one small highway on to a larger highway just out side of a town and changing about three lanes at a time, so happens I pass a cop in a ghost car, pulls me over, asks how fast I thought I was going, I had no real idea so he told me. The speed limit is about 90K I told him I was out of toen heading to a meeting and just plane enjoying the drive, which I was with the stereo cranked and didn't notice the speed, he believes me and let's me off. Tells me to buy him a donut next time I'm in town. totally cool guy need more of them. I wasn't driving dumb just fast.

May 16, 05 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

Good job vado. I've pulled this one a couple times, but on the freeway. Last minute lane changes in dense traffic and an immediate exit from the freeway makes it almost impossible for anyone to follow you....

oh wait! that wasn't me... a friend of mine just told me this story.... honest!

May 16, 05 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

(!!!obnoxious post warning!!!)

Jeepers - all I had to do was let the cop pull me over (in my then-boyfriend's Porsche going 65 in a 25 at 1 AM), smile at him, say sorry, and get off with a warning.

Sorry, guys, you get a raw deal when it comes to cops.

May 16, 05 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

yes, yes we do.

May 16, 05 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

whistler, you are talking in kmph, right???

May 17, 05 2:15 am  · 
 · 
3ifs

ether = resident archinect outlaw.

May 17, 05 9:45 am  · 
 · 
whistler

Sameold.... Yup! Its Kilometers on the Canadian roads.

May 17, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

abracadabra -

the whole incident was bad. but to boot...

the cops fired something around 120 rounds from several officers surrounding the suspect. they were (from the video shown) between 20-50 feet away.

in the end the suspect was hit only four times. that said. with guns drawn, they're only gonna hit just barely 3% of the time?

May 17, 05 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

don't try this, and I am not proud of it, but I made a quick left hand turn from the right hand lane cutting off a cop who I didn't realize was in the left hand lane all the while making the oncoming traffic slam on brakes to avoid me. On my way home from the bar! I barely remember a thing (I was well over the legal limit I'm sure), except getting off with a warning. Chicks do have the advantage here.

May 17, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

my husband goes 34mph in a school zone and he gets a $40 ticket (a few weeks ago)

May 17, 05 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

quote = strawbeary, "Chicks do have the advantage here."

we are going to need photographic evidence... ;)

May 17, 05 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Cloutier

my cousin always got tickets for speeding through stop signs.

so... he and his friends stole all the stop signs on his regular route. as the city put the signs back up, he would steal them again (they got almost 50 signs) made it in the local paper. they never got caught, except years later when their parents found their stash of signs.

May 17, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
whodamantom

I hate the police, I enjoy the ideal, but despise the people. Here in colorado (my temp home) the whole system is demented. I was stuck behind a police marathon today, while trying to rush to a client meeting, and fianlly just broke out "Fuck the Police" on My ipod and blasted it through my stereo, I received a few affirming grins and waves. It was great.

I wouldnt try to run, those bastards will take any excuse to shoot you. I saw a guy tazed by three cops at one in Boulder last week, he wasnt even resisting arrest.

As for speeding, how is ~70 in a 15mph school zone while the buses are unloading; no ticket. Its great to speed, but Ive found that it just isnt worth the thrill.

May 17, 05 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Tim DeCoster

stealing stop signs?

55 over the limit with kids nearby?

That's way over the gray line, IMHO In my home town, someone was killed at an intersection because the stop sign was stolen...

May 17, 05 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

yep, sounds pretty stoopid to me.

May 17, 05 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

police and thieves in the street
scarin the nation with their guns and ammunition.

well after telling my brother of my getaway
i was informed that his daughter got a ticket in the same place.
she is cute pregnant and showing and was going to her husbands graduation ceremony. now that sucks.

May 17, 05 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so after driving through strip mall land to get to the tractor supply store to pick up a new carhartt, and then driving back through strip mall ville and the five thousand associated traffic lights and then driving through a vacant downtown where every light was red, i finally reached my limit and sped around some guy and then turned left into the grocery store in front of him and guess what it was an unmarked cop. who i didnt even notice had pulled in behind me. well i figured great heres a ticky for me, but instead he just berated me as if i was a little boy and then got back in his unmarked car and drove away. woohoo!

Feb 28, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mdler was hangin out one night in the apartment when he heard some chopper activity above...wtf??? he asked himself...turned on the TV and saw the car chase that was going on outside his window

Feb 28, 07 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

hurry!!!!...sport the elephant thong and run around the streets...

Feb 28, 07 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dammson,

you're a sick fuck

Feb 28, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
n_

the only - let me repeat, only - time i have ever been pulled over by a cop, i had the head traffic court judge's daughter in my passenger seat.

when i was pulled over, my friend called her pops up on her cell so that when the cop meandered his way to my window, i just handed him the cell phone and said "judge ___ would like to speak to you."

the cop got off the phone, apologized for bothering us, and humbly walked back to his car.

classic, absolutely classic.

Feb 28, 07 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i was 16 going to a club and was radared going 60 in a 45 while i was going down a steep incline hill...wtf..... i seen po-po turn around and i turn down a dirt road...wtf again.... well, he turned and flipped his lights...i stopped......... he got on the speaker and told me to get out of the car.... he had his door open and gun drawn and pointed at me...wtf.... it was still day light..about 7ish......

another time
i was followed by a po-po leaving a local hangout...... i knew the cop was on my tail so i had on the seat belt and radio off...... he pulls me over in front of the po-po station and gives me a ticket for noise pollution/tinted windows and tried to give me a seat belt ticket..... i asked why for the tinted window ticket he said he couldnt see in the car.... then i asked why for the seatblet ticket (i had it on)..he said i wasnt wearing one...wtf... then i said if my windows were tooo tinted to see in then how can you see if i didnt have my seat belt on...haha........ plus why for a noise pollution ticket when i had my radio off...i went to court and with my luck, there was about 20 kids in there for noise pollution tickets.... so i didnt win which was bullshyt and i paid 400 bucks 4 points and on probation for 6 months.....wtf.... i told the prosecuter that i should have earned my points and told the cop to fu-k off and maybe ran a few lights and did some donuts in the street or something.......

i got pulled over in my vette a few times because the po-po wanted to check it out...haha....... the detroit cops are better than the suburban cops....... detroit cops only care about drug busts and chases....

b

Feb 28, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

My friend and I decided to go down to a popular illegal streetracing location, just to have fun and watch. We got there, and there were a few cars already there. So we were just hanging out, waiting for them to start, when a bunch of cop cars show up. All those little rice rockets started taking off, so we followed, ending up somewhere in the middle of a pack of about 20 cars, racing down potholed back roads at about 80mph. We could hear the cops on their loudspeakers, "PULL OVER!" But we just kept going until we hit a highway junction and all of us took off like roaches in different directions. We ended up getting away. I think the cops ended up pulling over the guys who were in the back of the line.

Mar 1, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
user09
Mar 1, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

All LA cops must be gay. I have NEVER gotten out of a speeding ticket. I have argued, cried, flirted, apologized, lied, made crazy excuses, and have never gotten a cop to budge an inch. I even had a cop tell me that if my ticket ended up costing more than $200, I could call him and he would pay the remainder. But he still gave me the ticket. By the way, I know what you are thinking, and I am fairly cute, so it's not that. But do other LA women get out of tickets? If so, how?

Mar 1, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

mdler, my roof was on tv during the oj chase.

Mar 1, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

nevermind, I WAS DRIVING THE WHITE BRONCO!
...word,
OJ

Mar 1, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Why can't they run like O.J.?

Mar 1, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

good lord please tell me i'm not the only one reminded of costanza right now...

"was it what i said about her sister??...if she's getting speeding tickets..she's not that good looking!"

a friend was in a cab here in chicago once and the cabbie got pulled over for turning right on red before 7 pm.. (we have that kind of pointless law for those unfamiliar..signs at most intersections) he told the cabbie why he pulled him over and said do you see what time it is...the cabbie looked at his watch and said umm..7:30.. the cop quietly left.

Mar 1, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I made a left hand turn from the right hand lane with a cop in the left lane (in my blind spot), this was after about 7 or 8 beers at the bar *disclaimer, do not drink and drive, please!* The cop pulled me over, asked me for my license and registration, to which I slurred, "What's that?" while my passenger whipped open the glove box, grabbed the registration; then reached into my purse to grab my license to hand to the cop. The cop went to his car to run my license, came back and told me to have a nice night.

Mar 1, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
dia

One night, when I was a 1st year architecture student, I consumed a few beers at a party. Unwisely, I needed to drive home across Auckland City about 25km's to get back home. All was going well until I was going down a busy 4-lane highway where there was a series of hills and crests surrounded by houses. I wasnt too far gone, but would have been over the limit.

I spied as I was coming over a crest that in the next dip, about 250m away, was a major police booze bus and breathtesting squad. There were no turn-offs, and I was visible to the squad. So I quickly pulled to the side, calmly parked on the side of the road [where you could park at that time of night], got out of my car and pretended to walk up to a house.

Out of sight, I walked past some houses up a walkway and into the houses beyond. I walked around that part of town for about an hour, and by the time I came back, the police had gone, I had sobered up, and I drove home. Very scary, and I have never done that again.

Mar 1, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

wfih- i'll send you a pic and you can judge for yourself.

Mar 1, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I will share this story with everyone cause it might be useful to someone visiting the United States if they get pulled over.

A friend of mine of French decent, married an American and ended up in Arizona. Her mother was the President of University in France and she was in the United States for a conference on the west coast so she made an effort to travel to Arizona to see her daughter. Upon arrival she ask her if they could go to the Grand Canyon. So my friend said sure, piled her mom in their full sized Chevy Pickup and headed North from Tucson. Cuising down the road well over the speed limit a State Trooper put on his siren and chases her for a while before she realizes he is even following her. She sees the flashing lights and slows down and pulls to the side of the road. The office comes to her pickup door and ask her for her drivers License and registration. She turns to her mother and point blank ask her for her passport in French. Her mother digs out the passport and hands it to her and she inturn hands both her mother's passport and her passport to the Officer. He takes one look at them and hands them back to her. Then he does the little hand motions of slow down by pumping his hands up and down to the slow drawn out words:
s l o w d o w n. Gets back in his car and let them go on their way to the Grand Canyon. Funny thing is my friend spoke a few languages and would have been able to understand that she was speeding in
a number of languages.

Mar 1, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

Vado lets see pics of the sweet ride...I was picturing something like the General Lee but you don't seem like the Bo|Duke kinda guy. I'm suspecting an MG 164 special or austin martin?

archasm kinda cute? Hmmm...

Mar 1, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

This did not involve me driving

I was dating a lovely lady who happened to be a motor head. One night we got into watching some illegal street racing from a gas station. Around 2am the police and a camera come out of no where, and being of the "I'm badder than you" generation no one ran or anything. A few resisted arrest. I was cursing the camera crews loudly saying they were destroying peoples future by filming such crap.

Now bear in mind I was about 2 years out of grad school.

In a client meeting and the M&E pops me a smile for standing up for myself. I had no clue - turns out I was on the evening news wearing a univ. newcastle architecture t-shirt too.

Mar 1, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
z|o|o|m

Vado, I had a nearly identical experience. I worked in small town Idaho for a summer and would take drives down the farm roads in the hills outside of town when I couldn't sleep. One late night I was doing probably 20 - 25 mph over when I flew past a cop parked on the opposite side of the road at the base of a small hill. As I reached the top of the hill I could see in my mirror his lights turn on as he was starting to turn around. Just over the hill on the right I spotted a large potato cellar (barn) with it's doors wide open. I turned and drove right through the open doors, shut off my lights, and watched as the cop flew past on the road. I was so paranoid that he'd turn around come back that I closed the doors and spent most of the night in there looking through the gap in the doors--it was pretty spooky. Eventually I left and took a very circuitous route back home and never saw the cop again. To this day I have no idea why he was hanging out in the middle of nowhere at the time of night.

Idaho potato cellar

Mar 2, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
jjh

hmm, of the many experiences i have had with traffic violations the best is when i rear ended a cop car. the day all my final projects were submitted (i had a competition entry, final studio project, and a furniture design project all due with 10 days of each other - opps) i was on my way home and took out a cop car. he wasn't impressed and my bloodshot, sunken in eyes didn't help the situation. i thought he was going to give me a field sobriety test.

then the time i did have a field sobriety test. i had just bought a new car and some fool thought i should race him. the next thing i know i am counting to 45 standing on one leg while my buddies were trying to figure out how to bail me out of jail. somehow i passed the test. i will never do that again.

Mar 2, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 

warning warning warning

archasm is a hottie.

I repeat a hottie!!

this takes you back to your scheduled programming.

Mar 2, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: