Archinect
anchor

Steel Post Frame House

Hi. Been looking to buy a house in Cincinnati, OH for some time now, but am endlessly disappointed by the market's offerings, so have been looking into building a very simple, unfinished and inexpensive structure to live in. I've become very interested in post frame construction using steel, particularly because there are so many companies who build these structures (which means competition should have prices fairly close to cost). To give you an idea of the aesthetic, something a la

but rectangular (roughly 30' x 60' depending on what lot I decide on) with a mezzanine second floor covering about 2/3-3/4 of that space and a single pitch roof. It would sit on a radiant-heated slab.

My question is, has anyone here had experience with designing/contracting these types of structures? All my research points to them being very cheap, but one never knows unless one has done it. Any information on price, ease of construction, things to look for, related technologies, similar alternatives, web links, case studies, images of others like the one above, et, et, et, would be well received. Call me crazy, but I think I could do it for less than $100k if I leave the interior mostly unfinished and centralize all areas that require plumbing.

Thanks.

May 15, 05 4:11 pm
vado retro

its just a pole barn so its very cheap to do. depends on your detailing etc. as does everything else.

May 15, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, I know--a sophisticated pole barn is exactly what I want. Anyone seen this done?

May 15, 05 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

I have experience with the wood pole barn variety- just keep it simple and straight forward- can't go wrong.

May 15, 05 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

jbirl--was your experience residential, or just pole barns? if res, could you post pics or email me more info?

May 16, 05 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the only difference here is that you will be finishing the interior differently than most pole barns are done. just find a contractor who builds these things and you'll be fine. do you need a stamp in ohio for an 1800 square foot residence?

May 16, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

You'd need to check with local code officials as to whether this will be approved at all for a residential occupancy, and if so how it must be detailed for minimum fire ratings. We have had problems with getting similar structures approved as residences in some jurisdictions.

May 16, 05 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

I have no reason to believe that there would be code problems in my case--I have spoken with several licensed local architects.

Vado--I expect the finished interior will look something along the lines of the average 'industrial loft'--well crafted exposed elictrical and duct work, nice TIG welds--not sure of the best way to insulate it. may go with SIPs.

eeaye--projects similar in what way? do you have pictures/more info? What kind of fire rating issues could a steel structure face?

Anyone seen case studies for something similar to this, other than the eames' house?

May 17, 05 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

coinkidink five- we are having a seminar on post frame buildings on thursday. free lunch from subway!!!

the problem may be with local officials in that since most pole barns are either ag or commercial a prejudice may exist. also, you have to do the right calcs for loads etc.

are you doing a pole barn with metal siding? or a rigid frame metal building? we may not be on the same page here?

May 17, 05 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

cuz i am sure that pic is pole barn construction

May 17, 05 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

it will be a steel pole barn, just like the picture but shaped and dressed differently. pole barn = post frame as far as I have heard. should I post more pictures to give a better idea?

so how was the lecture? (where do you go anyway?) anything to report? any links?

May 19, 05 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually it was a sales pitch from a company that produces pre engineered wood post frame construction. i got free lunch and a coffee cup. in your other post i suggest just finding a contractor who has done steel buildings, show him what you want get yourself a permit set (do you need a stamp on residential in ohio?) and go design build with your contractor.

May 19, 05 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: