Archinect
anchor

Is there anyone here who is not American?

lewis bailie

Curious..
I'm from the UK.

Dec 13, 10 11:04 am
steadyeddy

Why do you ask?

Dec 13, 10 11:48 am  · 
 · 

born in UK, spent half my life in AU, and the last 9 in DE and NL.
not sure what i am, but it ain't american.

Dec 13, 10 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm an unamerikan amerikan.

Dec 13, 10 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Our top-10 visitor breakdown, by country:

1. United States 70.04%
2. United Kingdom 3.28%
3. Canada 3.25%
4. Spain 1.27%
5. Italy 1.15%
6. Germany 1.05%
7. India 1.01%
8. China 0.98%
9. Netherlands 0.91%
10. France 0.89%

Dec 13, 10 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I wouldn't count some US visitors as American since some of them seem to be anti American.

Dec 13, 10 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

wow, thats an interesting breakdown.
i didn't realise it was quite so US heavy.

Dec 13, 10 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

if you listen to fox news, i guess i'm not american.

...despite being born here, and voting in every election for which i've been eligible, and coming from a strong military family.

apparently one's beliefs can make them unamerican.

Dec 13, 10 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, only 3% UK - I would have guessed that figure to be higher. Also, no Japan? jump you need to post more!

Dec 13, 10 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
IHATEMARXISTS

"apparently one's beliefs can make them unamerican."

Exactly. You are starting to catch on...

America is not merely "a geographical construct" as so many idiots have allowed themselves to believe. It is this in part but it is much, much, much, infinitely deeper than merely where your body lives inside the borders of the US.

Like any definable civilization or society, the authentic America founded by the Fonding Fathers is actually, at the most fundamental level, about principles.

So, yes, if you do not know the principles and/or choose to reject them and/or are outright hostile to them and/or are subversive of them, to whatever degree that is the same degree to which you (or anyone else) is absolutely unAmerican.

Now, if you want to be part of the "new" "progressive" "fundamentally transform america" into something she was never intended to be (without principle and without root in self evident truth) then thats fine just know that there are two americas these days: One is the authentic, real deal, and the other is a marxist imposter posing as the real deal.

If your heart can remain indifferent and/or untouched by the communication of the beauties fo the sacred, eternal, self evident principles upon which the authentic America was founded, then NO YOU ARE NOT AMERICAN (even if you've lived here your whole life)

It might do well to ask yourself, "Do I really understand what this song is meaning to say in my heart", while you review the words and hear the music in your mind:

"O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for halcyon skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the enameled plain!
America! America!
Till souls wax fair as earth and air
And music-hearted sea!

O beautiful for pilgrims feet,
Whose stem impassioned stress
A thoroughfare for freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
Till paths be wrought through
wilds of thought
By pilgrim foot and knee!

O beautiful for glory-tale
Of liberating strife
When once and twice,
for man's avail
Men lavished precious life!
America! America!
Till selfish gain no longer stain
The banner of the free!

O beautiful for patriot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam
Undimmed by human tears!
America! America!
Till nobler men keep once again
Thy whiter jubilee! "

-America the Beautiful

Now, are you an authentic American or a marxist poser who thinks he might as well submit to the authority of some poser earthly king (be he Barry Soetoro or Bush I or II?

Dec 13, 10 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

um. No. Thoughtcrime is not yet illegal. Therefore, one does not forfeit one's right to citizenship by failing to align one's thought's with the official Fox-Republican Propaganda Channel.

Dec 13, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

urbanist - only through faith alone are you saved... but of course the rules keep changing like playing monopoly with a bunch of preschoolers...

Dec 13, 10 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

"...it is much, much, much, infinitely deeper ..."

i love prose that excels in saying everything and yet nothing.

Dec 13, 10 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

toasterover,

I guess that only Park Place and the other blue properties are gettin' those tax cuts...

Dec 13, 10 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

The turning of every discussion into republican vs. democrat argument making the founding fathers turn in their graves.

By the way I'm not American (but a proud American citizen) by birth so count me in.

Dec 13, 10 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Parad0xx86, you're the one who shifted the conversation in that direction when you tried to attach Americaness to ideology, above.

Dec 13, 10 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I am made from New Zealand.

Dec 13, 10 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

I never thought about or implied anything about politics when I wrote my post.If that was your interpretation then that's your problem.

Dec 13, 10 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Jesus fucking christ this conversation is an exactly encapsulated perfect example of why America is exploding into dazzlingly fragmented pieces. We can't have a single productive conversation w/o the views of some ignorant yahoo extremist warping the whole thing into reactionary flaming that gets us nowhere while the rest of the world giggles in amusement straight to the bank. For fuckssake.

Dec 13, 10 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Donna,

Come to NZ

Dec 13, 10 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Yes, Donna.. it's an accurate reflection of where things are right about now and it's only going to get worse. This nation is not whole now. To pretend that it is would not help anybody. I'm an eighth generation Californian. That's where my identity politics lie, I think.

ParadOxx86, you don't call "anti-American" an overtly political term?

Dec 13, 10 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

Pffftt not necessarily no. Republican vs. democrat...such a narrow minded view.

Dec 13, 10 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

just for to answer the thread, I was born and raised in the USA, was in the military service, what i did was Top Secret, and only citizens born in the USA, and who pass very thorough screening get to do what I did. I do consider myself American, my family emigrated from Mexico, many decades ago, and I did visit it as a kid, and it was really fun, being outdoors and all that stuff, that's kind of where I first started to get interested in building, and funny enough, I think it makes me a better American to also be aware of my families proud past.

Dec 13, 10 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm so over this talk radio inspired diatribe. the fucking founding fathers had very different views about amerika. the federalist papers was an argument against the bill of rights which allows me my right of free speech as an american citizen to criticize my homeland as much as i care or care not to. fuck. it also allows you to own guns in a not so well regulated militia. it also keeps the jack booted thugs out of your wife's lingerie drawer. it also allows me freedom of association which is great because i don't have to associate with morans (sic) glenn beck is ready for his handjob. get busy.

Dec 13, 10 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

diabase, I dream of it daily - just yesterday I asked my husband "Wouldn't you like to celebrate Christmas during the summer weather season?!" There's surfing in NZ, right?

Jeez, Urbanist, 8th generation Californian - that's awesome, and VERY rare.

Dec 13, 10 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yes,
There is surf

Dec 13, 10 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Non-American checking in: I'm Dutch.

Dec 13, 10 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
a mouse

perhaps we could switch the dem/rep shitfight to Australia v NZ.....

our surf is better....

i do love NZ though, being a 4hr flight from Queenstown's beautiful skiing beats the hell out of a 6hr drive to fake snow in Australia.

Dec 13, 10 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

When people ask me my nationality when I'm abroad, i say "Californian." Nobody's ever objected. I'm an expat in New York, from Cali. ;-)

Dec 13, 10 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
dia

a mouse,

We might fight, but we also have respect and a common love of the good things in life, like beer.

Dec 13, 10 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
a mouse

and rugby.

Dec 13, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

@ donna, i am so shocked my posts don't put japan on the map. ah well.

canada is only a few percent, eh? interesting.

Dec 14, 10 5:20 am  · 
 · 
huh

i'm an American living in Austria. I don't have a burning desire to go back TBQH, except maybe NYC if I suddenly become wealthy or back to LA when it's time to die.

Dec 14, 10 6:12 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

... I just like to mountain bike any place that has that I can live in

Dec 14, 10 10:55 am  · 
 · 

diabase that is a sweet photo

Dec 14, 10 11:36 am  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I'm proudly anti-American yet a proud 'United Statesman!'

To use a horrible analogy, I like gold lamé but I hate wearing gold lamé.

Dec 14, 10 11:40 am  · 
 · 
hansdampf

I'm German, but not really active here.

(And I never stop to feel vexed by the unconditional love that some people in the US show for their country, no matter what... Quite a brainwash)

Dec 14, 10 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Archinect's numbers are heavily skewed by the Jobs forum that mostly features US positions. Add a crippling recession on top of that...

There forums definitively have a distinct international flavor, even if still dominated by US users.

Dec 14, 10 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

USA, USA, USA!

Dec 15, 10 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

USA- number one on Archinect.
number eleventy in everything else.

I want THAT T-shirt.

Dec 15, 10 1:11 am  · 
 · 

LOL rusty! Seriously I'm giggling at my desk - I want that T too.

Dec 15, 10 8:52 am  · 
 · 
dia

I like how on a thread specifically created to identify non-americans, you get a bunch of Americans rocking up chanting USA!

Dec 15, 10 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I refuse to chant USA. Californian here.

Dec 15, 10 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

U-S-A! U-S-A!

Dec 15, 10 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm surprised with the numbers Archinect posted. I knew Americans had a large presence on this site, I just figured the next % would NOT be 3%.

BTDubs, U-S-A! U-S-A!

Dec 15, 10 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm surprised with the numbers Archinect posted. I knew Americans had a large presence on this site, I just figured the next % would NOT be 3%.

BTDubs, U-S-A! U-S-A!

Dec 15, 10 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

we're probably hogging all the internet

Dec 15, 10 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I think the salary poll probably brings the most traffic, and it is mostly US centered.

Dec 15, 10 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

keep in mind, one or two spammers can completely tip the scale.

i remember this thread use to get a crazy number of hits:

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=38925_0_42_0_C

ironically, a thread about spam, probably getting spammed from a single source. if that source is in the US, then there you have it.

and for the record, i am proudly american in the non-lee greenwood kind of way.

Dec 15, 10 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the dominance of America here reminds me of the 1984 Dream Team's dominance over Angola.

Dec 15, 10 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
headyshreddy

"I refuse to chant USA. Californian here."

That's probably because you're an urbanist.

Dec 15, 10 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: