Archinect
anchor

Albuquerque Architecture - What to see

chupacabra

yeah...new mexicans like to refer to santa fe as "fanta seh"

there is a nice modernist power plant between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Tent Rocks is awesome.

If you have time I would head out to the VLA...nothing like seeing 20 some odd dishes more than 10 stories tall sitting out across a landscape.

Also, west of Albuquerque there is the Acoma Pueblo which is pretty amazing...definitely worth a visit.

Apr 10, 10 12:04 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra
Apr 10, 10 12:05 am  · 
 · 
azcue

How does one get to those satellite dish formation?

Apr 10, 10 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

u.s. route 60

Apr 10, 10 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

They actually don't look that magically from being there as there is a lot of "government trash" scattered about the site.

Apr 10, 10 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

I'm waiting for those lawyers to get sued for causing a trucking accident on I-40. It'a such a "WTF?...(screech!, crash!)" building - they're using architecture to churn for business.

John Gaw Meem is a great mention: the reading rooms at Zimmerman Library on UNM campus are worth checking out (<pun).

I've also heard "Santa Fake" referring to the Disneyfication of the place. It's so funny to see the "adoboid" Walgreens on Cerillos Road with the vigas coming out the walls. Then there's the cartoon characters on the freeway overpasses heading north out of Santa Fe (brought to you by Whitener Law Firm - I suspect).

Albuquerque is a city you need to know how to use. Like a bargain store, you may need to dig a little, but you keep your discerning eye open and you'll find some major bling.

Over and beyond architecture, see if the Harwood Studios are having an opening and lookup NM Jazz Workshop's calendar.

As for NM food restaurants I'll put a vote in for Monroe's on Lomas (east of Old Town). ABQ comrades: how's the food at El Pinto these days?

Apr 10, 10 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

el pinto is a tourist trap - john mccain's bus stopped there. nuff said.

the VLA is in the small configuration right now - good time to see it.

i'd recommend mary & tito's on 4th st nw. they just won a james beard award for regional cooking - their carne adovada is pretty sublime.

Apr 11, 10 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

Also of note, per Vado's recommendation: An interesting read on the town of Madrid, written by an architect.

"Anarchy and Community in the New American West: Madrid, New Mexico, 1970-2000"

It's the story of the rise - which included the company sponsored super fireworks show and christmas parade - and fall of a company mining town, how in its decline and later desertion it was parceled and sold for pennies or squatted on by hippies and intentional communities and of course artists, to how the town's survival depended on using that reputation as a haven for hippies and intentional communities and of course artists as a schtick to increase tourism, and how that resulted in the community recently beginning to see develoment as an ABQ bedroom community, and the problems that naturally flow from that. It also includes the part about kicking out the natives by force, and how the hippies that hate the yuppies.

It's a thesis paper, which means it's dry as a Utah Saturday night, but somehow it ends up a compelling read.

The scenic route from ABQ to Santa Fe passes through Madrid. I felt that the town had a curious space of place, thus the nerd in me appreciated this book.

Apr 12, 10 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

the VLA is off US60, west of Magdalena. One of the "arms" crosses the road, so you cant miss it.

Apr 12, 10 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
azcue

Just got back from Albuquerque. Unfortunately, due to the poor transportation system and lack of time/funds, I was unable to see most of it. Then again, I did see Nobb Hill, Historic Old Town, and UNM....so maybe I did see all of it.
Not impressed. Although the Octopus Carwash on central and the converted gas station called Kelly's looked like interesting retrofitted throwbacks (both of gas stations), overall I wish there was more interesting things.

Apr 19, 10 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Alexi

*sigh

Apr 19, 10 11:05 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

veni vidi vici

Apr 19, 10 11:17 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

New Mexico is one of the most interesting places there is...immobility aside. It's wonder is in its expanse and solitude. If you did not get to experience that, then you really missed out.

Apr 19, 10 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

yeah - you saw it all.
nothing to see here - move along.
what an ass.

Apr 19, 10 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Poor transportation system?

(Hate on me for saying this... but almost all of New Mexico exists in the Rio Grande Valley.)

And guess what runs parallel to the Rio Grande for at least half of it? The commuter train! You could have easily seen half of New Mexico on a 4 hour train ride.

If you want to see poor transportation systems, go to Florida.

Apr 19, 10 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

@azcue: i think what's disheartening is, given the wealth of suggestions posted here, that you were unable to see anything suggested but still willing to declare that you 'wish there was more interesting things' and that you were 'not impressed.' Hopefully you'll have a chance to visit NM again, with more time and with a rented car.

Old Town, Nobb Hill, UNM?...hmmm... wait a minute...i think i know what happened...Azcue, did you take this trip with your parents?

Apr 19, 10 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

I will say that public transportation in Albuquerque is a joke. Without really planning out a route (and backup plans) it's fairly hard to depend on the buses to get you anywhere. The most annoying thing is the lack of route maps at bus stops... how are you supposed to plan connecting routes without a map? But common sense solutions don't always catch on here.

It sounds like the real problem was time and money (although I am not sure what funding has to do with it since there was nothing on the list that required entrance fees). Also if you had mapped these places out beforehand, you would have seen that everything on this list is pretty dispersed around town.

If you were expecting an architectural landmark at every turn, well all I can say is go to Dubai or something.

Apr 19, 10 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

the city of albuquerque has an online bus route planner that works pretty damn well.

Apr 19, 10 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

^true. But if you are like me and still use a cell-phone that doesn't have internet, once you leave the house you don't have much to navigate with.

Apr 19, 10 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
azcue

I still can't believe how many New Mexican defenders are out there and how many posts this thread has received.
All valid points. Next time, I'll rent a car.
Or actually.....next time, I'll go someplace else.

Apr 19, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
azcue

On a side note, I did eat at the Frontier as vado suggested. Not bad, I'll give you that.
I also have a great photo of a bum sleeping in front of Predock's building. So maybe it wasn't a complete loss.

Apr 19, 10 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Considering a fair portion of the country doesn't even know New Mexico is part of the US we have to work extra hard to defend what we have...however little it might be.

It could be worse. It could be Phoenix.

Apr 19, 10 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

Naah-haah! April fool azcue! You fell for our elaborately coordinated go-visit-Albuquerque con - suckuh! Well played archi-comrades!

Apr 20, 10 1:39 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Good thing you didn't go to the Jemez. You might have wanted to stay.

Apr 20, 10 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

And on a side note I just started watching Breaking Bad. Pretty funny how they include all the ABQ lingo..."505" south vs. north valley, etc...awesome show.

Apr 20, 10 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

chupa - i did a remodel & addition to captain cook's original house (the one in the country club area).
i love that show.

Apr 21, 10 10:17 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

public transport in albucrackee is tough. but why take a bus ride that might last forty five minutes when you can drive to the same locale in ten. (if you have wheels that is.) that town is spread out. it primarily exists to haul people around who are below the poverty line, have had too many dwi's etc...that said i lived without my own car in abq. from 86 to 96. i did have friends though with wheels.

Apr 21, 10 11:05 am  · 
 · 
go do it

"Or actually.....next time, I'll go someplace else."

see ya you don't belong

Apr 21, 10 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

El Jeffe. I know the house...very cool.

Love the references to Nob Hill, Meyerland...all the shots from the heights...Los Alamos and the whole science research world...wraps a lot of the New Mexico contemporary state into one show...and does it well.

Apr 22, 10 9:57 am  · 
 · 
stiletta

Graciousness! Thanks chupacabra. A refresher and a reminder that Albuquerque is not for the ungracious.

Apr 25, 10 12:57 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

look, the west is not for everybody. the sheer sense of desolation alone will frighten most urbanites, as will the lack of sense of place in most of the cities. albuquerque is the worst of both worlds, being elevated just high enough on the sandia mountains to see the endless wasteland to the west, plus it is pretty spread out and not a lot to do. i still like it though. when i'm living in the west, i live a different lifestyle. i don't sweat having to drive everywhere, and i go hiking instead of going to the museum. albuquerque is also cheap and has a very high quality of life. time seems to slow down in general in nm. in a way i could say the same thing about phx. you have to know where to look in these places.

Apr 25, 10 11:13 am  · 
 · 
SC New Urbanist

My post is very late, but do not miss La Luz. This compact development by Predock was a prototype for developing in ABQ while maintaining the beauty of the landscape. Across the street is a small development that wonderfully retained the native vegetation as well, and focused on the views.

My leaning is naturally toward city planning rather than building monuments to myself, so I urge you to look at some remarkable pre-historic inspirations in the ABQ area for how to build beautiful neighborhoods that became a part of the environment: Acoma and Pueblo Bonito, Taos Pueblo....not within the city limits, but ABQ is at the center of these and other wonders.

ABQ is one of my favorite cities for ignoring the possibility of its own vernacular. The most ironic views are from the Petroglyphic Park overlooking the new slurbs of ABQ. Anything goes. Yet all around are great examples of how things could be. Hell, I would be OK if they just built some new (feasible) walkable neighborhoods that had some mixed use components and DEMANDED only adobe vernacular. Would that be faux? OK, but what if you updated its style and maintained its privacy, community and passive solar characteristics. But aim it to the everyday buyer, not the very rich or the very student.

Are we not all looking for authentic places? Santa Fe victim is a cartoon of adobe architecture. Taos was authentic not so many years ago. Not sure where to go now except for the abandoned settlements.

The colors and materials of scattered homes in ABQ are remarkable....hidden gems. But anyone who flies into ABQ gets to enjoy an airport terminal that speaks of local charm more than any I have seen. Sure it is a replica, but it makes me feel great everytime I pass through it.

Sep 26, 10 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Albuquerque is architecturally doomed. Go to the top of the Sandias and look in every direction and you will see what almost all architecture within 30 miles dedicates itself to - it is kind of like if you could stand over that meteorite in Mecca and look out over the praying masses at prayer time. A thousand foot tall building is an awe inspiring thing in New York. One rock - a single rock up there. Predock has devoutly respected the radius throughout his career - most of his work within sublimates itself existentially into a prayer posture with great orthodoxy.

Oct 2, 10 3:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i found hatch chili at the local grocery here in looziana and have been roasting it and have made some kickass rellenos and green chili chicken enchiladas!

Oct 2, 10 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: