Archinect
anchor

2010 Masters Programs in Europe...commiserate here!

revlis

Ive been studying 'Inside man'.

'dog day afternoon' proved to be a bad example

May 18, 10 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
pigeon

hey just saw this thread and letting you guys know that i just heard news (today) that i got into the EmTech program at the AA for next fall. not sure if i will go (questioning if the financing is worth it too). i also got the extended june 18th deadline. good luck to you all

May 18, 10 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
mapd

justavisual> I've visited both countries and the school in Helsinki, although it was during the summer so the place was mostly dead. My impressions are positive from both countries, nice people, architecture etc.
Will let you know if I do decide Delft.

May 19, 10 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
lyrabelaqua

Only found this thread now as I'm trying to decide as well (and for some reason I'm google-ing for the answer to my dilemma :( ) if to start a master course this year, and which one to go for as I got into TU Delft MSc Urbanism and into Oxford Brookes MA Urban Design.

I think TU Delft has a better programme and probably it's a much more interesting place to study as well...it's cheaper too...but it's a 2years course...which makes Oxford Brookes a 1year course easier to commit to. Another thought that daunts me, aside from not knowing which Master I should go for… is it worth taking a career break working as an architect and make a considerable financial effort to do a Master…will it pay off in the end… I have a passion for urban design and would like to dedicate some time to study this field in more depth, but I could do this from home in my own time…I won’t have the Master degree in the end… but wouldn’t I just be in the same position in terms of job prospects?
I’m just curious to know what your thoughts on this are, and what your own reasons for doing a Master are. I would truly appreciate any comments on this.

May 23, 10 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'm a bit behind on my forum use...

I was accepted into the EmTech program and managed to fly out for a visit earlier this week. Like pigeon and others I'm contemplating the financial burden of attending. I'm in the M.Sc. track so its only a year, but the cost of living in London is pretty intimidating.

Has anyone heard from the CAAD program at the ETH? They're supposed to be sending announcements out by Monday. I'm hoping it will be by email as if they're mailing out I doubt I'll know in time to make a decision on the AA.

May 28, 10 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
pigeon

pixel, I'm in the exact same spot waiting on the ETH for the MAS CAAD, but am feeling pretty good with my chances after the AA acceptance - though you never know. Leaning towards the AA i think mainly because of the environment and everything going on outside your individual program. All the lectures, exhibitions, ect at the AA seem amazing which i feel may be missed at the ETH (mainly b/c the rest of the school is in german).

What were your thoughts after the EmTech visit?

May 31, 10 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

Pixel, does the language barrier frighten you at all? ETH is on my list for next year, but am hesitant because of my lack for german. is the CAAD program 100% english, or is it like 80/20%?

Congrats in the AA sir.

Jun 1, 10 7:18 am  · 
 · 

pigeon:

I just got an email from the ETH (accepted) so you might want to check your inbox or try contacting Michael Hansmeyer. He mentioned that formal notices will be mailed out this week. I'm going to try to book a flight out to Zurich ASAP to visit the school.

My thoughts after the EmTech visit are that the program would challenge me more intellectually rather than technically, which I'm comfortable with. After talking to Weinstock it seems as if my coding skills are already where they need to be, which would allow me to focus on content which is always more important anyways. As you've mentioned all the extras would only add to the experience, but taking out the amount of loans I would need for tuition and living is a tough one even in the light of program.

iheartbooks:

The CAAD program is 100% English and they encourage the use of the language socially amongst students. From what I've heard about Zurich not speaking German isn't a problem as the populace is typically fluent in English and willing to accomidate.

Jun 1, 10 11:54 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Just to add, CAAD is 100% English tuition, but D-Arch and the ETH as a whole are still predominantly German-language institutions. Whether that's an issue or not is for you to decide. Just be aware that a lot of 'extra-curricular' activities ranging from lectures, seminars, guest-crits, pin-ups, thesis defences, gallery openings / exhibitions, and of course plenty of informal discussions / debates will be (partially) lost on you without a strong command of the language.

Additionally, as a native English speaker who moved to Germany with no knowledge of the language, I can attest to the general ability and willingness of most German-speakers to be helpful and accommodating with your lack of language proficiency. Just be prepared to find that the people you want to communicate with most (whether that be the fabrication shop steward.... or the cute brunette sitting next to you in the coffee shop), could very well 'spreche kein English'.

Things to consider at least.

Jun 1, 10 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
myungjung

Hi all, I just found out about this thread and I was wondering if anybody going to Bartlett for MArch AVATAR program. I have gotten accepted but I feel a bit dubious about it. I also got into Politecnico di Milano, i don't think many people knows about this school, but it was a good alternative option for me financially.

anybody have a thoughts?

Jun 8, 10 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

so anyone going to TU Delft this year??

congrats to all on acceptances

Jul 2, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
TED

I sort of have associations with three of the schools mentioned here - AA, Bartlett + TU Delft -

Delft stays within the discipline boundaries - if you are paying lots of $$$ or others - just go to the AA if you can do it - the shock of 'living in london' goes away quickly as one can control it - [flat share, biking, etc]

you get so much beyond the course your on -

AVATAR is a representational course so if your interested in drawing and rendering - go for it - but no content - agenda etc.

Jul 4, 10 6:42 am  · 
 · 
jakethesnake

It seems that the AA, Bartlett, ETH and Delft dominate the conversation here.

What about other schooLS?

Are there any other schools worth mentioning in Europe that have the same reputation as these guys?
Any schools worth mentioning in Spain? Portugal? Netherlands? Etc....?

Jul 5, 10 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
remus + romulus

I'm attending ETSAMadrid (Universidad Polytecnica de Madrid) in the fall to do the Masters en Proyectos Arquitectonicos Avanzados, hosted by the Department of Projects. The program lasts one year. It is in theory bilingual, but I think it will be taught in Spanish mostly. I talked to some students graduating this year and they seemed very pleased with the program. I'm looking forward to it. Btw, I got my B.Arch from UT Austin in 07.

Jul 5, 10 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
jakethesnake

Is the Dept.of Projects similar to say, the Public Works Dept?

Jul 5, 10 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Jakethesnake, just a few off the top of my head in the German speaking world:
Universität Stuttgart (ILEK and ICD specifically), die Angewandte Vienna (studio Lynn, Hadid, Prix), Staedeschule Frankfurt, and Uni Innsbruck (Patrik Schumacher/ Institute for experimental architecture).

ENSPLV in Paris, EPFL Lausanne, and IAAC Barcelona are another few in europa that automatically come to mind as schools worth mentioning.

Of course, many of these schools don't have the kind of traction or prestige outside of their region as an AA or a Harvard for example, but I think that's more a result of language than an indication of education / research quality.

Jul 6, 10 8:06 am  · 
 · 
agfe

I'm just staggered about finding this discussion, for days I've been clicking everywhere on European schools websites, and yes their efforts must really go into their programs, not their sites...they suck.

Now I'm starting grad schools applications for architecture, and its almost certain I'd rather conclude my scholar years in Europe. the cost benefit and the experience definately has no match.Yes, you could get a name degree from Penn, GSD and columbia but you will pay the rest of your life for it $$$...some argue its worth it, but we all know graduating in a hole doesn't sound right.

I have started applications for Delft, Bartlett and AA and would really like to hear impressions, positives and negatives from those already submerged in their programs. I've done a summer course at the AA and was fantastic, not to mention how rich and entertaining is London.

the more feedback the better.

Oct 22, 10 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

I got an admit from TU Delft...
I am even considering DIA @dessau and Oxford brookes.

What are your views on all these schools?? Is TU Delft a good choice, is it really worthed?? There specialization tracks definitely provides lot of flexibility.

Jan 15, 11 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

@ agfe :
Saving on the cost of edu is the #1 reason not to do another degree in the States. It's a huge waste of money.

AA, Bartlett and Delft are all very different. I cannot speak for Bartlett much, but I prefer their end of the year shows to that of the AA, also I feel they have better facilities. London is great, but consider if you're a student there it has a high cost of living, and you wont have much time for fun anyway.

Delft is in a tiny, semi boring town...which is good bc there's not too much time to mess around + Rotterdam/the Hague are nearby. That being said, NL is quite devoid of distractions or interesting things, so you will feel the urge to travel more. Also, the class size at Delft is much larger, and I find the work to be less interesting. So, its okay if you have your own agenda within the master...but do not expect to be "taught" too much in design studio. A lot of people I know are encountering issues with the randomness and seeming unfairness of the grading system. That being said every master is what you make of it...but Delft has less of a stamp to put on your education, though it is much more practical than AA and the Bartlett.

@ anurag
The specializations are the one thing TUD has going for it...its a major strength. There is an emphasis on technicality here, though...and I find sometimes it distracts from design and theory. Also, a lack of rigor as compared to the Ivy League (can you compare?)

So, if you're confident that you just want a masters, don't care too much about being taught but would rather learn for yourself and have some things you want to explore in an academic environment, its a perfect setting. A lot of ppl come into the masters with only 3 yrs of bachelors and no work experience behind them. If you have a 4 or 5 yr degree+work you will feel this discrepancy.

Jan 16, 11 8:14 am  · 
 · 

@ justavisual: Thanks a lot for giving an insight. That was really helpful and would definitely play an instrumental role in my final decision. I knew that TUD has a firm hold on practicality frontier(being a tech uni) though never knew it is such weak in theory and design. Definitely agree Ivy League is unmatchable...

Do you have any idea about the HYPERBODY and WHY STUDIO that are being conducted at TUD?? I was basically interested in these two specialization tracks.

How are DIA @dessau and Oxford Brookes??

Jan 16, 11 10:24 am  · 
 · 
justavisual

I dont know anything about dessau and oxford brookes...never knew anyone who applied or attended.

T?F (why factory) is essentially a research based uber productive studio, led by Winny Maas (MVRDV). Its literally a bit of a factory, but probably pushes you more...with a more interesting (less practical) outcome. Hyperbody is also more focused on research and design, way less "rigid" technically, much more fabrication based. Can you find some work online?

You can do both of these within your first year and pick a third if you want for thesis...the studio structure is quite flexible, which is a huge +.

I wouldn't say TUD is WEAK in theory and design, just that neither design, theory or technical studies takes a precedent. Its, just kinda...all in one, but none above the others. Which like I said, is okay if you know what you want and can choose your specializations according to that. Some will be 33/33/33 some will be more design or more research than technical.

If you have something you really want to do, check out Explore Lab. Its kinda make your own studio (ish).

I think I'd still pick TUD over DIA/OB. :/

Jan 16, 11 10:40 am  · 
 · 
ciao

from an London viewpoint,

AA end of year show was K.I.L.L.E.R. and theyre always a packed house. Barlett had a bunch of paintings, sure their 3d printing facilities are nice, but not the rest of the architecture school. The staff do your 3d printing, its like dropping off a prescription, so its not like you use those facilities. At the AA students have more space to work, and depending on the program youre in, its either group OR solo.

its usually AADRL vs UCL avatar, but additionally AA has post-grad programs that some would consider superior to the other post-grad programs at UCL.

Also AA is ALL architecture, so you will be architectured out with the public lectures and the energy of the place.

thats my piece of insight

Jan 16, 11 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

@justavisual: that was really quiet helpful.....thanks a million :)

Jan 22, 11 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
pzuro

greetz:

Last month I logged the hours and expenses necessarry for applying to your standard lineup of Ivy's. If I am admitted, there will be a brief moment of joy followed by the dread of requesting an $80,000 loan. So, I am considering application to these schools as an alternative. However, the websites offer only a limited view into the culture of the school, resources (access to wood + metal + rapid prototyping shops), and profiles of recent grads. Does anybody have the word on these programs?

TU Delft:Post-graduate Masters in Urbanism
Berlage's post-grad program
AA Projective Cities
ETH: MAS Urban Design

Here is my portfolio: http://issuu.com/p.zuroweste/docs/portfolio

If anybody that is familiar with these programs can comment on the relevance of my work to what's happening at these schools, I would be very grateful. Also, if there are other programs that I haven't covered, please share. Thanks and best of luck to all applicants!

Jan 24, 11 3:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: