Archinect
anchor

times new roman

Distant Unicorn

bwaahhh! I did it in 10 minutes. But good catch!

Jan 6, 10 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Ah, the good old days of yore. Helvetica, Palatino, Optima, Clarendon, Melior -- did post-modernism come to type early ? This was pre-1970, for cripes sake. Weird. . .

I find interesting faces (including numerals, obviously) in the chapter headings of fiction -- novels.

Alternatives to Times Roman: Goudy Bold, Baskerville, Bembo, Bodoni. . .? Caslon Old Style ?

oops -- gotta watch Judge Judy yell at stupid people. Take it. . .

Jan 6, 10 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

As architects and designers, I've always considered typeface choice important. The ones that have largely been mentioned so far are run of the mill fonts, except for DIN (<3 DIN!!). There are lots of great contemporary faces and families out there.

For example, FF Meta, Museo, Breur Text, Newzald, Marat, FF Utility... so many great choices!!

Yes, they cost money to buy and are not preinstalled on any computers, but worth looking at in my opinion. Typophile.com is a great forum on typography.

Jan 7, 10 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Typophile.com. Thanks ! I miss the old Ampersand newsprint tabloid (?) that one of the foundries used to put out. Huge format -- design and history, etc

Jan 7, 10 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Is that tattoo Bank Gothic??? Worst font ever! This thread should be about how we should leave Times New Roman alone and instead knee crotch people who use Bank Gothic. So bad.

Jan 7, 10 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
seajord5

Ever since an English teacher in college told us we could use any font we wanted, as long as the body was a serif font, I've used serif for long blocks of text, and sans-serif for titles and labels. He said he got headaches from reading sans-serif for long periods of time, and I am getting a headache reading this microscopic sans-serif font on Archinect.

Maybe architects like sans-serif because they don't read very much...

Jan 7, 10 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

in the past i have always used sans serif fonts for everything... however, now that i'm a phd student and doing a lot more writing and reading, i definitely prefer serif fonts for large blocks of text... i had a student turn in an assignment that was half a page of sans serif text oriented in the landscape direction... the combination of sans serif and extra long lines of text made it damn near impossible to read without putting a ruler under the line of text.

Jan 7, 10 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

(I shorten my lines by whatever means available when posting on full-page sites. I got one complaint -- maybe from somebody using a small screen ? -- who said the lines broke up long and short. He was right -- you can see it by narrowing your page.

And what's up with Yahoo's new e-mail default ?? What a mess !)

Jan 8, 10 12:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: