Archinect
anchor

Why you should sign up for the LEED exam by March 31st

On the fence

Holy crapola. I don't even need the AIA letters at the end of my name let alone the rest of that nonsense.

Mar 31, 09 10:11 am  · 
 · 
binary

i will be paying my 400 tonight.... even though i haven't worked in a firm since 2000 and currently not working in the arch field, i mine as well try to get other certificates/letters that i can. i dont see myself gaining IDP anytime soon either so who knows.

Mar 31, 09 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I registered a while ago and at that time I was a member of the council which would qualify me for the discount. Now I'm not working for the firm anymore but when I logged in again I was able to go through the registration and still get the discount. Do you think that would have any affect on me?

Mar 31, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
eranthis

I think I know what everyone is doing on their lunch hour.... the website keeps timing out.

Nothing like the last minute or two.

Mar 31, 09 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
knock

"That said, for me the LEED AP certificate takes a back seat to the one saying I'm a registered Architect. "

I see firms looking for LEED AP as a requirement more often than Registered Architect here in SF (for people with 7-10 years experience). Seriously.

Mar 31, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Our USGBC chapter sent out an email indicating that registration would be extended for another day due to server problems.

Mar 31, 09 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
binary

Apr 1, 09 12:15 am  · 
 · 
houston_arch

A person in our office who signed up today said that his credit card was charged right away.

Registration is extended until midnight tonight.

Apr 1, 09 10:48 am  · 
 · 
rockandhill

LOL, a dead server and instantly processing credit transactions... sound mildly like LEED-- no real infrastructure and cash up front please!

Apr 1, 09 11:06 am  · 
 · 
ihearthepavilion

"no real infrastructure and cash up front..."

Thanks for my morning laugh!

Apr 1, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

This stuff is mandated at least make sure one person on your team gets AP so you can get the point when you work on a project.

Apr 1, 09 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

poop - I'm guessing the reason you were still able to get the discount price is b/c the LEED contact person has not removed you yet from their "roster" . Take full advantage of it while you still can. Know the CIR process, the application process... surfing the website will really help.

As for LEED, I'm not entirely 100% gung-ho on the USGBC, but like Hasselhoff says architecture is a business and it's driven by the client. If more and more clients want to go the way of getting their building certified then they are probably going to be more likely to go with a company that has LEED APs on staff.

I do think it's kind of a crock that one has pay so much for the reference guide material and for the exam, but than again the exams and study guides for the ARE and the NCIDQ are a hell of a lot more expensive. I was fortunate enough to have it all reimbursed by the firm. But you know what, even if they hadn't reimbursed me for it, I probably would have done it anyway, as now with the economy the way it is, my accreditation status makes more valuable than Joe Schmoe sitting next to me that isn't. I can potentially bring money in with all those letters behind me name.

Apr 1, 09 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

I skimmed through parts of this thread and noticed that there was a lot of misinformation about how current LEED APs will fit into the new system.

1. You have to agree to the CMP program and sign a disciplinary policy. As far as I know, it is unavailable at the moment.

2. 30 hours (6 hours of LEED) for the CMP program in two years. The period runs from January 2009 to December 2011. You can count your AIA hours towards this, so if you are strategic about it, you don't have to do more than you already have to do as a member of the AIA.

3. You are done.

4. If you don't want to do this, then you can keep the LEED AP title, without the extra letters or symbols, but if you want to transition later (after 2011) into the new system you will have to take the exam again.

Agreeing with the GBCI and USGBC is entirely different. I have mixed feelings, but I do think it is the best thing there is now. If the building code, forced architects to have "greener" buildings it would be even better, because it would be a default like ADA.

Apr 1, 09 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
sahar

Here is a link that may make the process clearer.

GBCI

Apr 1, 09 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
houston_arc: 'A person in our office who signed up today said that his credit card was charged right away.'

it could be a pending charge - as in it lowers your maximum credit limit but isn't actually charged until the day you take the test. i could be wrong but that's how mine is right now ..

i'm takin' this sucker june 27th! and my New Construction & Major Renovation Reference Guide (Version 2.2) is in the mail!

Apr 1, 09 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
onerous

That was the word I kept thinking of while I spent two weeks memorizing information for the 2.2 exam.

All of these new requirements bring that same word to mind:

onerous

Apr 1, 09 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

so if you sign up today.. you still have to put in hours later on to keep your certification?

Apr 1, 09 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

no! (at least, until they change it again ..)

Apr 1, 09 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: