Archinect
anchor

Cancel Student Loan Debt to Stimulate the Economy

Mintern

I think that cancelling the student debt loan is an excellent idea.

Although I am from a wealthy family, I took out federal loans to cover the cost of my education at two very prestigious private universities. Of course, I could have paid cash, but I would rather use my offshore trust fund to cover the expenses of my boat & travels. The idea of the government cancelling student debt is very appealing to me as it would effectively mean that the poor taxpayers (suckas! ha!) have continued to subsidize my lifestyle.

And people wonder how the rich keep getting richer?

Feb 7, 09 11:58 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

douche

Feb 7, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I think he was joking BH.

Frankly, I like the fact that our first priority as architects is life safety. If your building fails at that, it fails at everything else.

Feb 7, 09 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

first priority, yes. only priority, no.

Feb 7, 09 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

apologies

Feb 7, 09 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
heavymetalarchitecture

Governor Patterson is proposing to raise tuition in NY by 14% as part of the state cutbacks. cutbacks? wierd i guess i don't understand what that word means with my SUNY education.

In Germany you are ranked nationally out of high school and get to choose where to go to University based on that ranking, and its free.
As with many countries.

Feb 8, 09 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

Jesucristo, the self-entitlement in this country is amazing. A rollback of the repayment period while the economy is down? Sure, why not. A bailout of your student loans? HELL NO! I only went for an undergrad BA (not BArch), worked 30 hours per week for 5 years on top of the typical, nearly-in-offense-of-human-rights demands of an architecture program, only had a choice of 2 schools in the first place, studied my ass off to earn grants and scholarships and still graduated with a 3.63 and a boatload of debt that took me over 5 years to pay off with zero help from my parents as I moved to a state that still allows BAs to take the ARE to work on a measly intern architect salary of $28K while living like a serb in the attic of an insanely overpriced coach house that should have been condemned and consuming not much more than ramen noodles and tap water and packing a sandwich every. single. day! The question to every one of these aforementioned items is why? Because I didn't have the money for any other options! I didn't choose a private school, I didn't choose Ivy League. I didn't have the money! It wasn't an option! Just like if you don't have the money or you can't find a similar way to make it work, then guess what? It shouldn't have been an option for you either. No doubt, tuition is out of control and needs to return to reality, but I'm sorry, that's just the way the world works. You could have worked in a warehouse a couple years to earn some money towards tuition first, joined the army for the GI Bill... anything. Did you stop to think for a second when you were applying you had no chance of ever repaying your debt? But now after I struggle to make it work for myself, I should subsidize your education too?

Feb 13, 09 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

yes

Feb 13, 09 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

wow, seriously, the people getting so worked up is incredible around here

IF this were to pass (which it wont) it would be the same as other stimulus checks given to everyone

lets get off of our high horses here if your student loans are already paid off
you are no better or worse than those who have student loans right now

my question to those who rant so fiercely against this proposal is this. do you reject any other stimulus checks you recieve? because dont you know that they are also not all equal, and you could recieve more than other people do

but is that ok because you would recieve some more than others, and with the case of the student loan debt, you would recieve less?
its pretty hypocritical

Feb 16, 09 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
age of the small

I think it would be better to have another constitutional convention than canceling all student loan debt. It's not just one issue, it's many issues.

Feb 16, 09 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

I

Feb 16, 09 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

I

· 
idiotwind

I

· 
idiotwind

Dammit, I am sorry. I do not have any idea why that happened. Carry on.

Feb 16, 09 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: