Archinect
anchor

First Design Gig

Ms Beary

Where are you at with this? Are you putting together working drawings already? Be careful. I don't know Texas law, but maybe since engineers can stamp sets, you can get an engineer to help you, since you'll have to have one anyways. Then you can still be the designer and work through all these goodies yourself, without exposing yourself to liability.

I've worked on several rural projects that didn't have zoning code or typical plan review. The parking count and size was determined by the client and us. Usually 10' by 20' spaces with 24' drive aisles is good for a rural site. I would think rural Texas churchgoers probably have big trucks so those sizes would be good for planning, no smaller. As for how many, use Graphic Standards or find a similar project as a basis.

For plans review, since there was no local building department, I would send a set to the state fire marshall who would comment on fire code issues. I think there was usually a county building inspector for other code items. Call the county again, you can pretend as though you are a church member (so you don't have to worry about sounding super professional if that helps) and you are planning a building project, and want to know what the procedures are. Say you need to talk to a building inspector or plans reviewer if they are still lost.

Have you thought about utilities? Are they municipal or rural? Could this effect your preliminary design and site layout? Is the church willing to hire a civil engineer? If they really want to build this, I think you will have to show storm water management and erosion control, among other things.

Mar 24, 09 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Sarah, you might also ask if you need a professional's stamped drawing while you have them on the phone. Some buildings don't need stamped sets. Is this a metal building by any chance? (rural + church + broke makes me think it could be.)

Also, an experienced contractor could help answer these things. I think it is a great opportunity for you. If you and the client are a bit clueless, you can still do this with a good contractor.

Mar 24, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

It could end up a metal building, but I'm trying really hard for it not to be. No one really likes a metal building. I am still in preliminary design, but I'm trying to figure out just how much space I really have to play with. I'm worried that I will design this awesome thing, and then it wont fit, or it will fit, but I wont have space for parking, ect. I;m trying really hard not to get locked into an idea before I have all the information. This isn't school, its real, and so I have real things to deal with that I have never personaly had to worry about before. Its difficult. Just wait until I have to figure out a budget for this thing. Yikes!

Mar 24, 09 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: