Archinect
anchor

the state of drawing in education

I'm not sure, but didn't Aristotle also speak of essences?

May 3, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

How mature of you, SMIB. You just confirmed all of my suspicions about you. And that's not flattery, though I know you're trying your hardest to be a troll and stir up shit just for the sake of being a dick.

Well done. I guess. Whatever.

May 3, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Slantsix, trying my "hardest to be a troll and stir up shit just for the sake of being a dick," would be a serious waste of my time, and you really don't know me at all. I have made several key contributions to this thread, based on experience and/or backed up with examples. I have also, at times, been allegorical. I have not made any subjective or conjectural statements regarding drawing, nor have I initiated speculation on the character of anyone here.

May 3, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Ive been quiet too long. I love hand drawing. Love render sketches. However hand drawing actualy in my opinion can be more misleading about the final product. Look at those rudolph sketches and other modernist sketches and renderings - now go visit some of those buildings and tell me they dont suck.

May 3, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Well, that would be a personal judgement not necessarily connected to the quality of some original office renderings, wouldn't it ? But you raise the question of whether hand drawings might be even less likely to convey the reality of a building design than would a computer rendering -- as I take it. If so, why ? I'd accept that the the perspective would be dimensionally and opticallly accurate, and the shadows (if present) would be correct (given the choices made by the delineator) in the CAD drawing.

Recent work by Ms Hadid is persuasively presented in office (?) renderings published in a recent GA Document. . . Quite impressive and tasty drawings.

May 3, 08 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
ZipGUN

As THE solution to this argument, listen up, chumps...
Not to foster any more feelings of inadequacy or anything (which by the way reminds me of my last physical in that cold, cold exam room) but this debate was all already solved about 8 years ago in an office I worked in...an aging partner unwittingly bridged the gap between the drawing camp and the computer camp -- by sketching with a sharpie pen directly on my computer monitor...! I turned in awe toward the old magnificent bastard with only one word: BRILLIANT!!!

May 5, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Death by Windex. Brilliant indeed.

May 5, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

And we're done! Thanks, ZipGUN, for finally wrapping all that up, good times.

Okay, next topic - AutoCAD's new menu layout: threat to civilization, or menace to society? I mean seriously, what's up with that?

May 5, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

yes, it is a menace to society and a threat to civilized existence as we know it.

Use "AutoCAD Classic" and RMB next to the big A (but not on the big A) and select "show menu" something or other to get all the menu pulldowns back…

May 5, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

OR...

May 5, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Gotta love that big 'A', right? I mean, is this a Vista thing, or what? Are we witnessing the end of the old 'File, Edit, ...' menu structure?

May 5, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

ZipGUN -- Love it. Leave it to those old bastards to cut to the chase. Reminds me of sophomore studio, one evening; I had something Baroque playing on a portable turntable-in-a-box, and Professor So-and-so marched over from the next cubicle where he was giving a private crit and pulled the plug. Served me right, I suppose. . .

May 5, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: