Archinect
anchor

Aggregate Chicago

evilplatypus

I think its one of the top 5 best sports jerseys ever made. I really am bothered by the current jersey

Mar 19, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

This is by far the best Sox Uniform ever:

Mar 19, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable
Mar 19, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

dude those bad boys were from when they had that dumb clown - can anyone say Disco Demolition?

Mar 19, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Coho Lips:
Disco Sucks

Mar 19, 08 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

xrt sucks...a friend of a friend used to work there and had to give fashion advance to the unattractive fashion no nothing boring on air personality that does that breakfast with the beatles show...

Mar 19, 08 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I like XRT - I dispise the Beatles. Its an uneasy love. At least XRT is the last station left in Chicago thats not a corporate conglomerate with the same station in every other city accross America. Oh wait - it was bought out? SHIT!

Do you remember when Chicago Radio was the coolest on the planet?
WTF happened?

Mar 20, 08 9:14 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i hate radio...

all radio sucks evil. no exceptions beyond college stations and npr.

its the same old lowest common denominator shit that gets played on every corporate station, in every suburb, in every city... its one big commercial... force feeding lazy consumers little doses of advertising dressed up by 'artists'. I despise radio.

if you want 'this summers hottest jams' listen to the radio.
if you want to hear 15 different people sing the exact same song, then hear that song once an hour... listen to the radio.

if you want to hear music, make an effort and go find it people...

i hate radio.......

Mar 20, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

lletdown - how long have you lived in chicago? Radio here used to be awesome - There were punk stations, metal, House and techno stations doing street mixes at least 4 or 5 times a day - underground, there were indie and college stations. It was unique and local bands like the Pumpkins or Veruca Salt could get a live show at a bar broadcast to the region, get critical mass and then blow up accross the country - really - there was a time when Chicago radio was awesome.

If you go back to the 60's it was like the National center for radio - local garage bands could go from Berwyn to the top of the charts in 2 days through radio networks like WLS

I really think theres a plus side to the medium of radio that the internet cant yet match - the shared experiance. Its not that the radio medium is crap - its just theyve turned it into crap and wonder where did everyone go?

Mar 20, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Blair Kamin from the chicago tribune has started an architecture blog.
for anyone interested, its been going about a month or so now...
he tends to write more expansively more often than lynn becker does, and also has access to more information... it would seem...

there are some cool videos on there as well. Tours of Teng's Waterview tower, studio gang's aqua tower and calatrava's spire construction sites.

Skyline

Apr 2, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

we had one of those stryofoam balls that you put on yer attenta that was for wcfl. that's old school. the 60s also had great bands like the shadows of knight, the buckinghams, the ides of march back then as well...

Apr 2, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

as for radio... yeah of course all the stuff evil says... maybe thats so, but its not the 60's...
the late 80's is as far back as my memory goes... and radio has been horrible since as long as i can remember. it is what i said it is... just like the bears

Apr 2, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
postal

are you saying that radio stations are who you thought they were?

and you let 'em of the hook?

in other chicago news... it's freakin' gorgeous today... took a while huh?

Apr 2, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
postal

oh and in regards to my favorite jersey...

though i like the blue and red '71 roads too.

Apr 2, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

dude... i sorta look like a young robin ventura? wtf!

Apr 2, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

only difference between robin and i is that i have kicked nolan ryans ass successfully.

also i suck at baseball...

Apr 2, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
WlUw

iz pretty good.

Apr 2, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

the radio situation here is about as bad as its ever been - i cant name any station that it isnt a Texas, Calif. or NY conglomerate anymore

And worse anywhere I go in America its like the same bad station is following me

Apr 2, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl
The Power of Cook County

In the race for the most popular votes in the Democratic Party's presidential primary contests, Sen. Barack Obama's lead over Sen. Hillary Clinton is about 711,000 votes -- not including Florida or Michigan -- according to Real Clear Politics.

Of Sen. Obama's 711,000 popular-vote lead, 650,000 -- or more than 90% of the total margin -- comes from Sen. Obama's home state of Illinois, with 429,000 of that lead coming from his home base of Cook County.

That margin in Cook County represents almost 60% of Obama's total lead nationwide.

Interestingly, Sen. Obama's 429,000-vote margin in Cook County alone is larger than the winning margin of either candidate in any state.

Chicago Dems still know how to support their candidates better than anyone else in the country...
Apr 3, 08 11:21 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Did you know the only district he lost in cook was the bridgeport / near S.W. Side? Go figure.

Apr 3, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the scrubs are off to a good start. god after watchin barack"bowl" i hope he's not out there throwin ceremonial first pitches.

Apr 3, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The Cubs are turds

Apr 3, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

give geese a chance
Apr 3, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
postal

"chin music for vado"

Apr 3, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Im surprised the Children's museum's to Grant Park hasnt come up yet - what do you guy's think? Im on the fence - I want to say no to uphold precedent and the park is already looking crowded imho. I always thought Millenium Park being raised up 10-15' was wrong, and the new Piano addition to the art inst looks sort of boring and is rather large - but with all the new structures do we need another?

renderings

Apr 11, 08 9:20 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

...."forever open and clear"

I know its a vague statement but thats the law - and as old rail and mfr property became available it was deconverted to fit the law so should we set new precedant?

Apr 11, 08 9:22 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

I think the more dangerous precedent being set is the further extension of the mayor's power. If he is able to force the override of an alderman's veto, that sets the kind of precedent that only extends daley's power. This is coming from a fan of the guy too... but there has to be some limit to his power, its just too bad that the children's museum has to get caught in the middle of a political fight like this. The alderman fighting for their relevance, and the mayor fighting for total dominance.

as for whether or not the museum should be there, i have no problem with it honestly. That section of the park is rarely used, and there is lots of open area left. Im not terribly worried about setting a precedent that will eventually lead to the building up of the lake front parks. If it can be concentrated at the very northern edge, i actually think it can be a benefit to all the city, becoming a second museum campus type situation bookending the rest of the park.
Plus, any reason for talented chicago offices, in this case K/S to get significant work is a plus in my eyes.

Apr 11, 08 10:06 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

blair kamin has a bunch of new info on the project

here

Apr 11, 08 10:36 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Really I like the concept - the museums nessessity to begin with is another story - but this will be a blow to a sacred Chicago right - the park to forever remaine open free and clear is it not? There are exceptions in covenants on land - once broken, forever broken.

Apr 11, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

So, around 430 this morning im laying in bed asleep when i start to shake. I wake up and sit up a bit, scared out of my mind cause i think its ME thats shaking so much... i think "What the hell is wrong with me???"

I collect my thoughts look around the room and then realize that thats my BED thats shaking. And the tv on my nightstand, and my computer desk.

"oh, just an earthquake" i think to myself, as i lay back down.

Apr 18, 08 9:59 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

how is the economy holding up there

May 2, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

as far as i can tell le bossman its pretty cautious right now. my office which had been on a hiring spree over the winter has slowed down on the hiring, though we haven't been forced to let anyone go. I have a friend who was laid off at his office, but generally architects i know are not losing their jobs, and are about as busy as they have always been.

Though, unfortunately im not really an expert on this... as im young, renting, have no car, buy food for only one person, and generally have very little responsability...

May 2, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Its slower but not slow. I have'nt heard of major layoffs or anything like in other place. The residential boom here wasnt as spectacularly over inflated as the coasts so although its pulled back it hasnt crashed. Theres quite a bit of Hotel business around. Residential is still OK - Retail so/so comercial I hear mixed results - theres a bunch under construction now. Vacancies are near decade lows so it would seem to be could but the money is probably waiting this thing out.

Could be worse.

May 2, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

spectacular day in chicago today...

the sun coming down onto the north side of the river was stunning...
unfortunately i have a horrible camera phone...
if i had a wide angle shot we could have seen the whole strip...

tribune tower
wrigley building
trump
IBM
Marina tower

beautiful strip of buildings... and yes... i officially like trump tower

May 21, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Spectacular but cool - is it me or is this year just been straight up cold?

May 21, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

it has been chilly, but thats fine with me 58 and sunny is about as ideal as it gets as far as im concerned

May 21, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

ya that sky today is the deepest blue ive seen in a long while - it was surreal at lunch - blue, cool, the neon green leafs - spectacular to say the least!

May 21, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

ha. i'm thinking of going skiing this weekend...

May 21, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

whats everyones take on the trump tower...?

i have to be honest, when it was 1/3-1/2 way done i was really really displeased with the proportions and the quality of the glass...

now that its nearing the top with maybe only 10-12 floors to go i have become much more happy with the proportions. I really like the way the final set back seems to stretch so far. The slimmest portion of the building is almost double the height of any of the other part and it really gives the building a sense that its stretching, almost uncomfortably high into the air... im really like it and think it will be a solid addition...

as for the glass they chose...all i can say is i hope the form will distract people from noticing how ugly the CW system is...

May 21, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

well, i think it is fine. like a cross between the lipstick building, or maybe lake point tower, and the sears tower. it looks like a chicago high rise.

May 21, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i think you got the best angle in the pic

May 21, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it reminds me of an electric beard trimmer/nose hair trimmer combination. but most tall buildings do.

May 21, 08 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

The site is incredible - view corridors in nearly every direction. When it's seen in the wacker drive context the setback relationships are understood and it actually seems like a good project...but when the view is framed (ie. looking north up State Street), the contextual relationship to IBM, Jewelers, Wrigley, etc. that drive its form is lost and is far less impressive.

May 21, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The best view is south down Wabash or Rush, preferably when its getting lit from the west - its amazing looking south from Gold Coast at it at dusk

May 21, 08 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

It annoys me because it is so cheesily conceived... "oh, let's fill up the site, but round off the awkward angle... ok now let's fill up the body to the setbacks... now let's pick a glazing system... oooookay DONE!" The design must have taken about 2 weeks.

The best I can say is that it's ok. I think the very top-most part fills out the skyline nicely (although any other tall building in that spot would have done the same thing) and I'm glad Daley didn't make them put a hat on it. That's about it.

When I contrast it to the elegance of the Hancock, the Aon, Marina Towers, and yes, even the Sears... sorry, but the design is just dull. And that CW!

So... it's ok.

May 21, 08 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The building is deceptively simple. Fist the slenderness ratio has got to be near 7 or 8 to 1. Near immpossible just a couple decades ago. Second the structural system utilizes the concrete outrigger method, the same as the Burj Dubai and infact they were developed by the same architect at about the same time so theyre sort of sisters structuraly. And they advance the structural pioneering efforts of Fazular Kahn who concieved of the outrigger concrete method back in the 70's and only now are we getting around to building it. As for the curtain wall - while I think the glass could be better, the simple verticle stick framing is classic Chicago. Its the basic curtain wall for tall buildings. It does the job and is honest - no faceting for faceting's sake, no hole nessessary for shock value. Just a true machine-like building "proud and soaring" - like a nose hair trimmer

May 22, 08 10:23 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
no faceting for faceting's sake, no hole nessessary for shock value. Just a true machine-like building

...except for the gratuitous random curves, I guess. Oh and the gratuitous HEIGHT...

It will be interesting to see--once they clear all the crap away--how it meets the pedestrians at the street. Still, BORING

May 22, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

gratuitous random curves like the ones that soften aerodynamic pressures like vortex shedding? Or the curves that allow higher unit costs so people have more views available? Please explaine.

May 22, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Big, awkward and ugly...

But that's just my opinion. Compare Trump's shaft to Peter Land's student work that I saw at IIT and you'll understand.

I am glued to the internet this afternoon for Patrick Fitzgerald's news conference.

Which Project Manager down on the 9th Floor gets indicted today?

Predictions, anyone? Seven City employees were arrested in the last 48 hours. The only one identified was a Plumbing Inspector.

;-)

May 22, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

make, i always asumed you didnt like peter?
true though, those high rise studios develop some beautiful stuff

May 22, 08 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: