Jun 24, 10 11:42 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Interesting article regarding a mega development on the south shore... here

signs of life?

Jul 29, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Someone commented that the buildings look so generic they could be anywhere. They are right! The developer responded with "Sour grapes!"

What do you think?

Jul 29, 10 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

yea,
Lately the AIA chicago website has been posting jobs for other cities, you guys think they are trying to tell us something?

Jul 29, 10 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
blah

There's not much happening here. I heard the guy from SOM who had the idea for the Skywalk thing at the Willis Tower moved to the SF office.

Jul 29, 10 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

You know its bad when you to your Alma mater and everyone is asking you if you are working, oh and to make things even more awkward, big shot owners are walking around you, in some cases the guys who hired and fired you, we are in such a strange time in architecture.

Jul 29, 10 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

correction:
You know its bad when you go to your Alma mater, and everyone is asking you if you are working.

i was referring to open house

Jul 29, 10 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
blah

At IIT?

Jul 29, 10 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

lol,
what gave me away?

Jul 29, 10 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Thom Yorke

^ i think it was your distaste for a certain Koolhaas-designed student center on your campus, perhaps?

Jul 29, 10 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

In regards to the buildings in that masterplan --

I agree with what Kamin says in there... Those buildings will have nothing to do with how the final product ends up. Beyond approx mass and height, they might as well just be blank blocks.

I honestly am just excited to see someone start speculating a bit that the residential and retail markets have to rebound at some point.
Also, im happy to see Daley say things like "This is what you have to do, rebuild your inner city"

Jul 29, 10 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
2step

"This is what you have to do, rebuild your inner city" So why hasn't he for the last 25 years done exactly this? It seems the inner city neighborhoods like Bucktown, Wicker Park, West Town, Ukrainian Village, Taylor Street and Logan Square have been doing a whole lot of rebuilding without grand schemes and master planning. Maybe the best way to develop the land, which is the size of a small suburb, is to parcel it up for individual development. Let the land developer and city run sewer and infrastructure, including a rail spur to the red and / or green lines, and then let the parcels develop lot by lot as you sell them off. It takes away the risk for the developer since they are only a land developer and not the building speculator.

Jul 29, 10 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
2step

I'd like to add the reason for my suggestion so as to avoid the homogeneous blandness so often affecting master planned communities. I think most urban dwellers appreciate the seemingly randomness of organically grown free range cities.

Jul 29, 10 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

I agree lletdownl,
Something is better than nothing, its a start.

on a side note to make and thom york: if IIT had a kick ass network like the ivies i guarantee we would the best arch. college out there.

Jul 29, 10 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

2step... yes obviously what youre suggesting is the ideal. You of all people should understand though that the tenets of capitalism renderit virtually impossible though.

Its a blank canvas with the land owned by 1 person. There is little chance a developer will sacrifice profit for a better urban plan, let alone aesthetic.

Jul 29, 10 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

lletdownl,

Good design sells, it is in the developers interest to put together something that is well planned and aesthetically pleasing, but that is subjective, and frankly, a lot of people on here (nect') don't strike me as being particularly in tune with what regular people actually like. There is a strong, we know what is best for you attitude, that need to tell people what they should like. I am guilty of this too.

I think a more likely explanation is that aesthetic matters to the average potential buyer, but not nearly to the extent that it matters to a community (archinect) like this one and that their tastes, may unfortunately be a lot more homogeneous/bland than you think. You could argue that their tastes are a result of corporate brainwashing over decades, and you might be right, but I think that line of thinking doesn't really lead anywhere fruitful.

Jul 29, 10 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Letdown, developing the land only could actualy be more profitable for us steel, especially if they need cash. Speculative development takes years to earn profits if at all. Its much less risky. In light of the recent meltdown where many big real estate developers are going under the old adage rings tue, "the only guy who makes any money is the guy who sold the land".

Any idea what the population will be?

Jul 29, 10 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Good points made by both of you guys... I suppose my general point was along the line of "the proof is in the pudding". When, if ever, have you seen a developer with access to that much land parcel it off in the hopes of creating a diverse urban setting?

im sure a lot of you already read the urbanophile blog, but he has a very lengthy and impressive article up about Chicago's structural advantages its definitely worth a read over the lunch break on this refreshingly cool friday...

why isnt aaron renn daleys right hand man on urban planning and development issues? or rather, why dont we hear people in those positions currently having these kinds of discussions?

Jul 30, 10 9:49 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

oh and 2step, the article says the projected population of the south shore site would be around 150k

Jul 30, 10 9:49 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

HOLY SMOKES...

daley says he wont seek re-election

now what? who should be mayor? any thoughts on this? Daley's legacy? The future of our fair city?

Sep 7, 10 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Was just discussing this with my coworkers. No idea who the front runners are, but it should be a very interesting election.

Sep 7, 10 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Digital_Sandbox

Maybe crazy Blago will run for mayor now that he's momentarily off the hot seat with the feds. HA! Meanwhile Chicago is going to shit in a handbasket. It doesn't even matter who wins. The city is broke, corrupt, unemployment is sky high, crime is rising... good luck to the chump who gets to be our next mayor. Cause he/she will def. need it.

Sep 7, 10 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
revlis

I can't wait to see Blago run. what a show that will be.

i mean, is there really any question that rahm emanuel will win this race.

unfortunately couldn't agree more with D_sandbox. Chicago is a sinking ship at the moment.

Sep 10, 10 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

I know unemployment is higher than the national average, but is crime rising? corruption is nothing new to the city, but overall, I think it is actually at a lower point than it has been in the past. As for the budget issues, many places, throughout the nation are struggling with budget shortfalls right now, so I don't know if it is a Chicago only problem.

Sep 10, 10 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
'Maximus

Chicago. You beautiful city.
While London is my first love, and Paris my occasional mistress, Chicago, you might be the one that got away.

The wandering around town - something I'm very fond of anywhere - made all the better by random conversations with other tourists, genuine locals, helpful staff.

Awe inspiring grandeur, ornament of the sort that would have caused Adolf Loos to have a stroke. These heavily decorated pediments reaching up bravely to fight off the clouds, to investigate the heavens.

Art galleries for free. The Art Institute, (admittedly only in February) free! The Graham Foundation at the Madlener House, Free! Beer on the 96th floor of the Hancock $8 (instead of $25 for the observatory)
Underground train to the airport $2.25. Holler this from the rooftops $2.25 to the airport!

This must be something to do with the return to 1996 stock prices.

Among the meetings staffed by survivors, replacements and volunteers, between bathing in Impressionist Art and hanging out among the structural chains of Balmond's Tensegrity installations, there was the wonderful hosting of evilplatypus and make. Gentlemen of the mid-west. Your city is fine, and your manners are impeccable. If in London, holler, there are restaurants, bars, and ladies with loose morals awaiting your arrival.

Sep 15, 10 3:33 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Interesting Spam, it digs through the archives and repost a previous posting. Interesting that it chose this particular one from Psyarch.

Sep 15, 10 9:01 am  · 
 · 
daydreamnation

Are there any good lectures coming to the schools of Chicago this fall? And if so are they ever open to the general public?

Sep 15, 10 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
brer

UIC has Lars Lerup & Hitoshi Abe next week; Julien De Smedt sometime later this fall supposedly. Always open to the public, come an hour early for seats for big names though.

Sep 17, 10 12:41 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

brer can you post info for that lars lerup lecture? it isn't on the website; looks like they haven't updated it yet.

Sep 17, 10 9:28 am  · 
 · 
brer

le bossman-

24 September* Lars Lerup, Houston. School of Architecture Lecture Series, 1100A+A, 6pm. *Rescheduled from 9.13.

Sep 19, 10 2:09 am  · 
 · 
brer

also, the fresh meat website has a calendar of upcoming lectures and does lecture reviews / interviews.

Just announced Marc Simmons from Front Inc on 10/25 and Mark Jarzombek from MIT on 11/15

Sep 19, 10 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

Anyone have been to Roosevelt collection on south loop? Comfotable scale of the plaza. There is cinemas on the second floor. It us so strange to they exits on the rosevelt bridge but it works so far. I will post some pictures later on.

Sep 20, 10 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
daydreamnation

Thanks brer. Really appreciate it.

Sep 20, 10 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
postal

Hey, let's take a quick head count and make sure all our chicago 'nectors survived stormaggedon 2010.

what is up chicago?

Oct 26, 10 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

and here i wasted all night building an arch... hhhhhhhhhhh

Oct 26, 10 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Don't you mean Hurricane Ditka?

Oct 26, 10 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

am i missing something? i mean, it's windy out, but i was expecting meteorological drama. i guess i have a headache (low pressure induced? probably more likely to be caffeine withdrawal).

Oct 26, 10 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

Shameless plug:

Rally to Restore Sanity: Chicago Satellite Rally
Saturday October 30, 2010
11am-2pm
Grant Park Columbus & Jackson Bandshell

All are welcome, this should be the second sanest rally ever!

Oct 26, 10 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

yeah i think the serious stuff must have missed the city...

Oct 26, 10 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
blah

Politically incorrect with a few rough spots but a very funny take on the situation at the Tribune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si0bck6mm1o&feature=player_embedded

Oct 26, 10 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
mk2

anyone else catch that front lecture at uic yesterday? my god, that was incredible!

Oct 27, 10 1:51 am  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

VT Lumenhaus on display in Millennium Park November 17-20!

Nov 15, 10 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

T-minus 22 hours til I'm Chi-town bound... Hope you don't mind if I bring 25,000 friends.

Nov 15, 10 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
blah

ANy ideas on free tickets?

Nov 15, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

There's free expo hall tickets from one or two vendors, though I don't know what the deal is this late (i.e. whether or not they cut it off)

check this out

Nov 16, 10 9:33 am  · 
 · 
postal

Who is ready for the Snowpocalypse 2011! Stormageddon (see 10.26 above) was disappointing (for chicago at least), let's hope the blizzard lives up the hype.

Feb 1, 11 10:21 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

ITS THE END OF TIMESNOW!

Feb 1, 11 10:44 am  · 
 · 
zahoffman

1.5 snow days at SAIC. Preemptive canceling of classes

Feb 1, 11 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

And it begins

Feb 1, 11 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Digital_Sandbox

if I dont get my promised two feet of snow by tomorrow morning, Im going to beat Tom Skilling's ass. lol

Feb 1, 11 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: