Archinect
anchor

Woohoo ... it's almost bonus time!

quizzical

dk ... congratulations.

Dec 19, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
e

yay, dk. so, the place has been set for EOY celebration. Tilth it is. I've been here for brunch and several friends have had amazing dinner experiences. I'm excited.

Dec 19, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

from the research i've done the past few days... i might receive a $50 gift certificate.

Dec 19, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

okay, just came back from the office xmas party, boss did the speech saying - its been a busy year but not as profitable as last year, oh bugger there goes the bonus i thought.
but on getting home and chking the acct - seems we must of done okay - bonus!

Dec 20, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

good for you, p2an.

Dec 20, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

2.30 + w00t

Dec 21, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

3.4% bonus

Dec 21, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

10% bonus + 5% raise. EP's gonna shake and pop 2nit

Dec 21, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Cha-Ching. Happy meals are on me tonight!

Dec 21, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

shake and pop
Dec 21, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

evil, congrats! thats a nice end to the year.

Dec 21, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

10% bonus. wowsers. my last was 0.8%

Dec 21, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

damn holz, thats more like it!

Dec 21, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah. and the projects i'm working on a that times as many relevant. so for once, i can't really complain. damn

Dec 21, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

that's awesome holz. congrats. we will be offering a bonus equal to a month's salary.

Dec 21, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

how big is your business, e?

Dec 21, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

2.2%

last year I got 5% after working there only a couple months. This year hasn't been any worse than last for the firm from what I've seen, if anything better.

well at least I won't feel bad when I leave in a couple weeks.

Dec 21, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

holz, we grew by 200% this year. we went from just me, to myself and my wife. we also funded construction of a new office without taking out a loan. we may be looking to add another this coming year. how big is the place you work for?

Dec 21, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

e - see the food thread.

Dec 21, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

e-
you actually did an identity package at a previous place of employment.
present office is 10. we have no identity package, but probably because the office is really frugal more than anything. sounds like the business is steady if you are building an office sans loans.

if it's just you two, how does the bonus work? is it money that you would normally funnel back into the office that you have to spend elsewhere, like a trip to bregenz?

Dec 21, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i'd love to be a fly on the wall at e's yearly reviews.

"well honey, you seem to be slacking off on the dishes...i'm docking your pay..."

Dec 21, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

10% bonus (total over the year, the boss did quarterly this year) and a review when I get back from the holidays. Perhaps a raise, perhaps I go home and eat beans.

Dec 21, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

hmmm holz, that's a small handful of places in seattle that we've done identity systems for. at least in the archi profession.

business has been steady, but it also has to do with the fact that I've been saving cash for years to make this happen. i'm like a little squirrel.

very funny mighty. given that we are 50/50 partners it cuts both ways. i need to keep up with the laundry too.

Dec 22, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

just these

Dec 22, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

just these

Dec 22, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

when i worked in germany, i got a bad english translation of a really good german book.

but way to rub it in about where you work, evan.

Dec 22, 07 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR
CuervoMuerto - your new employer couldn't wait 2 weeks? Hope he made up your loss.

They need a bunch a people for January because a big project just broke. But with a pay and benefits increase I'm getting (plus overtime) he made up for the loss. :)
Dec 23, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i got a $68million bonus this year!!!!!!!!!!

Dec 23, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

so i have only been at this office since the first of october, but from what i have been paid so far i got a 25% bonus. i was hoping that i would get something, but that was a nice surprise. hopefully they will be as generous in the raise dept. as well.

Dec 24, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

$500 - taxes = $433

Been with the company 1 year and 8 months.

What do you guys think?

Dec 26, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

how old are you, how experianced

Dec 26, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Evil-

Been outta school almost 6 years, Intermediate architect, IDP all complete, undergoing ARE exams.

Dec 26, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

seems low. Also depends on what you do for the firm - some firms arent doing so great right now and are sort of just waiting around for profitable work. If you like your bosses and have faith in them to sell some work, and respect them, then stick it out. If not, might want to sniff out something better for yourself.

Dec 26, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Evil-
Thanks for the advice. After I hit the two year mark, I will bolt for something better. The bonus this year was the exact same as last year. I also thought it was a bit low, as well as being disappointed by the lack of improvement over last year's.

Dec 26, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Dont feel bad - I know a guy who hasnt gotten a pay increase in 2 years

Dec 26, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

chicarchitect - why wait for the two year mark? you are letting them use you - i got a check for $50 one time (they even took the taxes out for me so it was something like $43.27) and gave it back and quit the same day. this was for a firm that i put in over 200 hours in a two week pay period multiple times and i was one of the few that never complained. this profession will eat your soul if you let it. find a firm that will appreciate your work. i got $3000 after being at a firm for 3 months - i hope this makes you feel like shit and motivates you to find something better.

Dec 26, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

a bonus is no one's right. it's something you earn. i can't believe a lot of the attitude going on in this thread.

if i were an employer, i'm not sure anyone here would be receiving a bonus this year.

no bonus for you.

Dec 26, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

no happy meal for you!

Dec 26, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

I don't give everybody a raise on a yearly basis, except the younger staff as I think its better related to their own development where as the older staff tend to not expand their skill level but contribute more to the success in the project delivery and therefore the bonus is a better way to compensate them. ie youngest staffer gets a 10 % raise yearly but has a small bonus ( 30 k with a 3 k raise and 1 k bonus )where as woman who has been with the office three years and gets a 15% bonus (50 k with 7.5 k bonus ) because of her contribution to the office ( her rate is also higher to start with too )

Dec 26, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

jafidler -

In some cases I would agree with you, but what I've seen at a number of firms is that when projects get rough or extra work is required, it's often hinted that this'll be recognized come the end of the year. If, like me, you've rescued some real disasters and gone through alot without complaining, all the while getting hints that your efforts will be rewarded, and then you get a fairly small amount without any explanation, and you know for a fact that the bosses gave themselves bigger bonus' than your yearly pretax salary...well, I say that's understandable in being a little miffed.

Dec 26, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

that post definitely had tongue-placed firmly in cheek, but i do think that people should be a little more grateful for their bonuses. it isn't an obligation, and i know there are an awful lot of firms that are not giving bonuses.

all right...

manamana gets a bonus.

and john cline gets a happy meal;)

Dec 26, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: