Archinect
anchor

one hit wonders

waterhouse

Steven:

Being somewhat familiar with SITE's catalogue, they're not up there with my favorites. I will say that a coworker of mine was a student of Wines' and thinks the world world world of him.

When I was posting those pictures I was thinking that they fall more or less under the "one trick pony" column.

Jan 10, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

i have personally been to third 'best' store from the top, with balloons escaping. it was in sacramento, ca. i wonder if it is still there. that corner actually closed and opened. at the time, believe or not, those james wines designs were the gutsiest things around that commented on modernism. he was never accepted to full architectural community because he was not licensed. i think aia gave him the honor of using the title architect but he refused. please correct me if i am wrong about the aia part.
maybe best stores were one hit wonder but they were also precursors to costco etc.,
he was doing green roofs and solar systems when people use to regard those devices ugly stupid things not too long ago. some of those people are championing the green now.
architecture in the hands of popular media has the memory capacity of 1.2 mb floppy (no pun here regarding wines' flopart def.)
i was not a big fan of site, but years later i see its importance have grown in my mind.

Jan 10, 08 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

The first that came to mind is the "Maison de Verre" by Pierre Chareau. I simply cannot think of anything else he has done that comes even close to the impact this one has had.

Feb 14, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Agreed beta; the term "one hit wonder" implies an artist who hit on something once and then somehow lost the magic and couldn't make it happen again, or just lost interest. Raimund Abraham doesn't seem to be especially interested in building much of anything. He's an academic and arguably one of the most influential figures in academia in the last century. He also sports one of the finest mustaches in architecture.

Feb 16, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
e909

i hate to bring this down to gutter-level (or maybe i don't hate to).

.38 special, or night ranger (or black bart hat or something??? I'm not sure of those 70's retread² hangover bandnames)
http://autoglassatlanta.com/files/2006/08/mcdonalds-hummer.jpg

(not that i've seen much of anyone's work.)

Apr 19, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
e909

how about a list of nohit wonders? there must be thousands of ppl who disappeared into oblivion before anyone heard of them.

:-)

Apr 19, 08 10:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: