Archinect
anchor

Graffiti - In the portfolio?

21Ronin

1. That was "Just"
2. That was supposed to be "start wars with countries preemptively"
3. It is amazing how closed to other cultures some people can be.
4. Testing my intentions/motivations only mirrors an insecure person. I say these things because I believe them. If anyone thinks I am pretending, they can continue believing it, because I do not base my opinions on approval. That is why I would put the graffiti in my portfolio.

Nov 20, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

coolio with me.

my point was more about the idea that laws can be dismissed just because one doesn't like them or finds them silly/stupid. the reason being...where do you draw the line? i know the depths such reasoning can lead from personal experience, and really it is pretty much the same argument bush uses to condone torture isn't it...

some laws are dumb and should be struck, no doubt, but that does not mean it is ok to ignore them. they are not a reflection of "some" of society. laws ARE society. when laws change it is because society has moved on, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not.

but i really don't think we get to decide which laws we will not accept, but then not take on the consequences too. which is why acts of civil disobedience are amazing acts of courage. graffiti can be too, i suppose, and as art i am totally ok with the form. but it is not ok to tag someones property and then claim they are ignorant for not understanding the art when they complain. the moral ground is a bit shaky, especially when said graffiti is nothing more than narcisistic display (as opposed to a political statement).

a friend of my partner is a performance artist who is regularly arrested for his art. he accepts that as part of the price to pay. he has served time all over the world, and was even deported from japan a few years ago. the artwork is brilliant, but he doesn't use it as a shield and expects no forgiveness or favors just becasue it is in the name of art. i can really respect that.

Nov 21, 07 4:28 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Exactly -- but Graffiti as mentioned here, is not that easy. It ask skills and learning how to, why and reson to.
For those who make it their life it is a profesional decision, for those who will stay amatures it is just fun --- but we been thru all that talk.
Fact is that tac's and amature Graffiti is what ruin it for those who has something real to say with their Graffiti art. If it wasn't for the vandalism Graffiti would be highly respected and even architecture would use it as a theme , like any ugly building will become nice if you grow these gardens on the walls, ---- but you guy's don't hear the messeage ; It is the amaturs those who realy has nothing to say , who make the ugly or vandalising tac's who ruin it for the few serious working artists.

If the town hall allow particular legal Graffiti fences, it is proven, that the tac and ugly Graffiti vandalism is allmost stopped --- when the real Graffiti are allowed, the graffiti gets better, the graffiti artists the real ones is happy about the legal fences, no serious graffiti artist want to be a criminal, --- so that's where Graffiti become relevant in architecture, when architecture are capable of reciving the graffiti, when architecture are in touch and prepared for modern Decor ,for what is more than just Decor, ---- and this is where I think a great oppotunity are missed in the original post ; if architecture is your issue then architecture is the issue first architecture and then Graffiti.

Nov 21, 07 6:15 am  · 
 · 
e

agreed jump.

Nov 21, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

someone tagged the building across from me last night

i'm not happy

i just bought this house 5 months ago i don't need gang bangers moving into the neighborhood

i don't care if i die if they tag my property it's on

and i'm going to talk to the owner of the building they tagged - you can't leave that there - it's the 'broken window theory' once the neighborhood starts going down you gotta fix it quick or it's over

i don't use this language often but fuck fuck FUCK

Feb 25, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

Be aware that graffiti and tagging are completely different. Some people like to tag anything and everything. Taggers are a problem and they really are not what is being discussed here. There's nothing artistic about tagging. Also, you should be aware that graffiti and tagging are not always linked to gangs. More often than not, white kids from the suburbs are tagging. There's a clear language that can identify gang tags. Usually, gang tags are marking their territory and I don't think they are usually expanding. Real estate trends show that gentrification forces low income neighborhoods out.

Feb 25, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yeah i was looking for a 'tagging' thread but couldn't find one

you want me to post pics?

Feb 25, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

Sure.

Feb 25, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

help me identify!

yay so beautiful!

don't shoot me!

Feb 25, 08 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i think SPOR.ONE has been there for a while

maybe not the same white kid from the 'burbs

Feb 25, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

Definitely not gang tags. There are no arrows showing respect for one and disrespect for another. They are punk kids that run around and want to deface something. They are probably local and I have to say that they suck.

The top image is by two kids. ORAM and SMASH. Luckily, they have only used one color.

Feb 25, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

The only places where I see tags like this and I am not offended is on a telephone booth in NYC or something like that.

This is the graffiti that I would put in a portfolio.

img[http://www.modern06.com/bilder/daim.jpg][/img]

Feb 25, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin
Feb 25, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

thanks for the help!

the city of long beach has a free graffiti removal program so i called and left a message

but i'm going to scrub down the one on the curb since it's near my property

probably doesn't help that there's a liquor store next door to the restaurant and riff-raff hang out drinking $1.59 airline bottles of cuervo gold along there

Feb 25, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

just found out about this guy- truth

I really like some of his street work, and would definitely put it in the portfolio.

Mar 3, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Just a few anamorphic graftitti instead of some trivial Graffiti letters, that would be the right thing to do, if realy you want to use Graffiti in a portfolio.

Get inspired here ;

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/artofanamorphosis/UsersGuide.pdf

Mar 4, 08 6:29 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

im glad you asked that question sir smokes alot
im a graff artist too, but in porfolio i have 2 and 3
layer stencils, i decided to keep the stuff with markers
and my written paint out, i was afraid that who ever
would see would report me or something.
i love graffiti, has anybody found a way
to join the two, architecture and graffiti?

Mar 4, 08 9:28 am  · 
 · 
21Ronin

I've been working on it Philarct. I don't think I have it mastered yet, but I think its coming along. One issue is that a lot of the starchitects are using deconstructivist forms that look very similar and graphic-like or like graffiti. But, I've been working on it since grad school two years ago.

Mar 4, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

"has anybody found a way
to join the two, architecture and graffiti?"

It is not an easy thing to draw a line with a paint can, -- and then what's in it, combining geaffiti and architecture --- isn't it enough with a different decor, or pleasing just a few ,with huge protraits where they xpected the useal graffiti , Still that is proberly my problem that I can't even conform with the graffiti conformaty ,and again has to make something once again unique , but to answer your question -- offcaurse you can combine graffiti and architecture, but there are no money in that, no status either.

Mar 4, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9471/sta60154zj8.jpg

Stupid messeage boards, again I forgot how limited the graphic options are here.

Mar 4, 08 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

Graffiti doesn't have to be limited to a layer of paint on a wall. There can be an urban strategies, aesthetics, formal arrangements and color schemes generated from graffiti. It doesn't have to be so literal Per--Corell. It still has to be architecture.

Mar 4, 08 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Sure -- but then graffiti sort of looses it's drive to develob I think.
And there are develobment that allmost instantly impac architecture, or is it just the easy catch to put into a presentation, when pictures decor the walls, with more relevant messeages then the hidden ones.

Mar 4, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

---- But why force things, why make native creativity into color scemes , there ought to be enough inspiration, in old books.

Mar 4, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Sorry -- guess I simply forgot , inspiration is a worn out word, guess irelevant to, -- I proberly shuld have said , there sjuld be enough to copy and paste from old books.
Sorry about using that word.

Mar 4, 08 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to say, but I will try to respond. Of course it is inspiration. Letting ideas, concepts, strategies from graffiti influence architecture is a decision that a person can make. How does graffiti lose anything? If architects just simply sat down and only studied architecture there would be no LeCorbrusier, Frank Ghery or Antonio Gaudi and architecture would not be where it is today.

I think you missed the point. These different topics that I listed above are ideas that graffiti can work their way into architecture. If you would want to try to make architecture replicate graffiti somehow, go ahead. I think the idea is that a person would let graffiti influence, motivate and infilatrate its way into architecture and potentially let architecture infiltrate its way into graffiti (if they can do both). But if you call it inspiration or whatever, its all the same thing.

Mar 4, 08 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

You are proberly right , but I think architecture is in more desperate need of that word that exist in arts and is mainly used the same way in architecture as in painting.
My oppinion is that structure is the issue architecture failed , -- that is where architects shuld look for inspiration , but as that is about things very different than the attitude of acting architecture as a picture , -- but this soon become a much different discussion. So my guess, is that the things that is just about to show in graffiti , will proberly not be understood either, if the architects is not willing to experiment themself, but just want to wait for graffiti artists to point in new directions. Just like architecture will not change, before an architect do the faviour, and try understand the structure instead of realising everything, as the picture of it.

Mar 4, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

Agreed. The only thing that I would add is that I don't think because graffiti is a graphic art similar to painting means that it has to be a flat or graphic representation in architecture. Graffiti's power as a graphic art is its ability to jump off the wall, paper or surface and start to create very interesting shapes, spaces and compositions. There are some abstract graffiti artists that make very interesting pieces.

Daim, Seak One, the list goes on.

Mar 4, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: