Archinect
anchor

christmas sucks

Living in Gin

Agreed about the Roman connection... There were lots of messianic movements within Judaism at the time, some of which had large followings, and crucifixion was Rome's preferred form of capital punishment; they were hanging people on crosses by the hundreds in those days. One has to wonder what made Christianity stand out and thrive to the point where it eventually became the state religion of the Roman Empire.

Unfortunately, that's around the time Christianity began misbehaving... Funny how that happens to just about any religion that ends up in bed with the secular powers-at-be. (Not that us Anglicans know anything about being the established church *cough*British Empire*cough*.)

Nov 17, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Years of working in retail made me loathe the holidays.

One year, in particular, I was working in the men's department at Stern's (a department store that went out of business). As in most department stores, we had an assortment of the cheap novelty gifts you find only around the holidays. One of them was this stupid singing fish mounted on a plaque. We would turn it off, but one of our idiot managers would come around and turn it back on. So about 100 times a day, I had to listen to the damn thing sing, "Oooh, the shark has... pretty teeth-ahhh... love to show them... pearly whitessss-ah!"

Nov 17, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

One word Gin ... Constantine.

Nov 17, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK I'm starting to regret my enthusiasm over having a house full of people at the holidays. Turns out we'll have both my inlaws AND my parents overlapping for three days this Christmas. One of these pairs invited themsleves without asking about our holiday plans/schedule first, so I'm a little, but just a little, pissed off.

Guess we'll finally be getting the powder room finished befoire we find ourselves with 6 adults using one toilet! That's the good news!

Argh.

Nov 19, 07 7:15 am  · 
 · 

lb, you've got that great big garage! and it doesn't get THAT cold in indy.

Nov 19, 07 7:18 am  · 
 · 

you could let the ones you like least (your parents or his, i don't know) commute into indy from our house. we won't be here.

Nov 19, 07 7:19 am  · 
 · 

and it'll save us the $$$ we're paying my brother to house-sit.

Nov 19, 07 7:20 am  · 
 · 

we're driving 12 hours each way with a 2 1/2 yr old and a 9 month old in the car, spending a week shuttling from christmas visits with my mother&husband, my father&wife, my grandmother&extended family, and my wife's sister&family. who envies me?

Nov 19, 07 7:22 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Thank you Steven - despite my full house, I'm happy I won't be driving for 12 hours with two kids!

Nov 19, 07 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Looks like I'll be taking Amtrak down to Raleigh, North Carolina to visit my parents. I like riding trains and I like spending time with my parents, but Amtrak around the holidays is like a Greyhound bus on rails, and I hate living out of a suitcase. Good times....

Nov 19, 07 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: