Archinect
anchor

today's architectural cliches

cf

Today's cliche is the inability of people to accept cliches.

We need more people who are team players, who can work within the system to make great changes for the future.
These are the people who have become deeply involved in the AIA, LEED, and Building Code committees to help form a more cooperative design environment. This is what matters most, cooperation, dialogue, and trust in the AIA to lead us down the path to architectural glory.

Sep 10, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 

which 'people', cf. seems like cliches are what the real estate agents are selling successfully ALL THE TIME!

Sep 10, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
jsun

clients? i am going to go there. are they really necessary a lot of them suck

Sep 10, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
cf

Architects need to be in dialogue with real estate agents. After all, they are the experts in what sells and what does not. It is high time architects and the AIA learn from these building experts. We need more real estate agents in schools teaching design so architects can learn right from wrong in the market place.

Sep 10, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 

ha! perfect!

Sep 10, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

these bullshit "house flippers". hah, think they know how to turn a house around so they can make a quick buck....

Sep 10, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

I've had enough of...

Howard Roark based self identities

"I'm the architect from on high - you may admire, but don't disturb me in my design tower"

Let's get out of the aristocracy!

Sep 10, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
simples

sometimes i feel like i an "architectural cliche"

Sep 10, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

the word "architectural" on any building product line.

Sep 10, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

staggered facades (called spanish facades by some)

Sep 10, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

"Oh, that is so Disney Like."

Sep 10, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
baldo

fragmentation and dystopia

Sep 22, 07 2:22 am  · 
 · 

discussion of cliches instead of recognition that, once they appear, ideas propogate naturally.

Sep 22, 07 10:16 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

yeah, i second stephen's. irony on a rampage can so...ungenerous, one dimensional, bulemic ....cliched.

Sep 23, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I have no problem with architectural cliches. Once we can identify them as such, they are harmless no matter how pervasive.

What does freak me out are nascent architectural moves that will be cliches in 5 years. To better armor myself, I look to recently published work of young dutch and spanish architects so that I know now what I will regret having done in the future. Often it leaves me incapable of doing anything at all.

Sep 23, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 

I have a problem with people thinking that just because it sells that's what architecture should be. That's a crock of shit and upsets me professionally.

As mcMansions ack! I mean really now.

Hipped roofs and faux doric columns really bite. They echo colonial strive

Las Vegas...its like a self-contained post-modern hangout...tacky, and for that matter much of Florida too

Ohhh and structural engineers who have their heads up their asses who think they know what architecture is about....learn this if we didn't do what we do you don't exist - and yea you can convince me about bridges but a humble civil engineer can do that too - if not for an architect its just a silly extension to a road

rant over!!

Sep 23, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: