Archinect
anchor

the 2nd great wall of china

Alackrity

And I only said I was "tempted" to say something, I didn't leave it at that though did I.

"I'm tempted to say that if you dont know you'll never get it."

I gave an example of the a possible attitude that could motivate one to vandalize their environment.

Defining something that has no literal interpretation is treading into the deep waters of art theory and social analysis. Much of the message tied up in graffitti as far as I can comprehend it has to do with the following.. (quick laundry list)

the action of doing it
the reason for doing it
the symbolism of its geographic placement
the symbolism of contraverting the law and what that brings to bear
the roots of why people started doing it
the value of its practice outside of being legal, illegal.
the value of it as a sign (Roland Barthes)

I see its graphic content and appeal as being secondary, but that may just be me. It is definitely why I see tags and bombs as equals.

Or we could just talk about how accessible and witty bansky is.

:)

Apr 3, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

one more qoute

"art invades"

I think i'm taking that one.
thanks liberty bell

Apr 3, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

On pinstriping, its a folk art like hot rods.
Its never been released into the wild as far as I know.

Perhaps its about time.
Philarch grab you're squirrel hair brushes.

Apr 3, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

Consider this as a parallel to what we are talking about,

Apr 3, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

I like that, Goldsworthy as rural graf artist.

Apr 3, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Alackrity

Take note spray can kids.

Apr 3, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i am not sure if you knew...

Apr 3, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

also,
why limit yourself to art on the streets of your local metropolitan area? you can create interesting images anywhere

Apr 3, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

i met this guy and he has a graffiti crew, and he showed me this
new site link

Apr 3, 07 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

he and his crew practice here before they go out and tag

Apr 3, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i was thinking about libery bell's post today at work.

i wonder what banksy thinks about kids stealing his work and selling it on eBay? would he be a hypocrite if it pisses him off that someone stole his work? or is he basking in the irony? is he pissed that others are profitting off his work? did he stage this whole event just to make us think?

food for thought.

Apr 3, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

taken yesterday in Madrid:

(with an extra surprise for vado, let's see if he notices ... )

Apr 6, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

damn, forgot to adjust the width, oh well ...

Apr 6, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

hey guys these are a few of my new stencils,
i tagged at a local skate park
tell me what you think

my anti war piece, thats a ballon if you cant see it

the street sticker

and the truck

May 30, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

tumbleweed
its a guys face with my graff name
as his crown

May 30, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

" PS i cant wait to go back to grad school so i can start using the laser cutter for stencils "

May 30, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 

To end all the 'Graffiti is Good!' 'No it isn't!' debates, here's a simple system to rate a piece on it's merits:

Graffiti Report Card

Jun 1, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

so how would you grade my work
sevensixfive?
i might have to get some of the report
cards and distribute throughout my
city

Jun 1, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

in los angeles, i would like to change "north" to "south" and "south" to "north" on those freeway entrance signs.

attach some sort of container/device that slowly drips paint on the road (i have yet to work out the details on this device) under a bunch of cars.

alter the lane stripes on a segment of a freeway...possibly a lane that makes a u-turn or swerves.

a fake hollywood walk of fame star for frank gehry

Jun 1, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Please, please create a fake Hollywood star for good 'ole Frankie.

Take a photo of it and send it to his office. I bet he'll get a kick out of it.

Jun 1, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

ugh...banksy. i used to think his stuff was interesting, but now im just so sick of it. its so easy to point out the problems with the world - why not try and do something good. i see banky as a mildly amusing duchampian experiment, fifty years too late.

Jun 1, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

765, that report card is a good start!

But instead of just "creativity" and "skillz (sic)" I'd include: use of color, implied volume, opacity of font, eye-catchingness, ground-breaking technique, intergrated decoration, and line weight. Separate catergory entirely for stencils, of course.

dammson, I appreciate the sentiment, but that's dangerous (except the Gehry star). Wasn't there someone on the news section here a few years ago who guerilla altered LA freeway signs to correct spelling?

Jun 1, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

changing traffic signs sounds fun
but the possibility of getting caught
makes me hesitate

Jun 4, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

my recent work, some of it unfinished
hope you like it
tell me what you think

and a sticker

http://a81.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/52/l_afca4c8cc3eac9717bbb1ee30f062980.jpg

Mar 4, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
clamfan

i think your shits fucked up and you sound like a fag

Mar 4, 08 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

beardedclamdiver was beat up by a
gang of graffiti artist as a child, i cant
blame him
its ok man, its ok

Mar 4, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 
207moak

A couple of my favorites from Portland ME

(Sorry about the sizing - I dont know how to post with an adjusted size.)

Mar 4, 08 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

graph is the best thing that could happen to a building

Mar 4, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline
Mar 4, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Levees

, taken in nashville, tn, near vanderbilt

W, taken in the east village, nyc

Mar 4, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

im jealous of these guys only
because ive always wanted to take
my graffiti to the next level (getting sponsored)

maybe one day

May 23, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
rira
conor harrington

love it

especially the wall at the bottom of this page

May 25, 08 7:15 am  · 
 · 
rira

wow, links worked amazing!

May 25, 08 7:16 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

rira

that guys use of color is amazing
both indoor and out

May 27, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
KingNeptune

whats up people
Check it out, I only tag at this skate park in my town, now i could tag other buildings but I dont wanna risk being arrested. Well today I found out that tagging at that same skate park is illegal, so now I dont have any where to tag. what the hell

Im thinking two things :

I should go to the city and start a movement to make a
legal wall, where artist can just roll up to the wall and express
or
I should grow some balls, buy a black jump suit, wait till 3am
and then go tag the potential places

I need help, cuz i gotta to spray

Jun 9, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
rira

Phil - i know, seriously want to buy some when i''m no longer an impoverished student

Jun 9, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

Rira - do you spray, write, or design?

king neptune - i feel your pain

Jun 9, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
rira

nope, i wish but i don't have the time or ambition really

must whip out the paints over the summer though

Jun 10, 08 1:45 am  · 
 · 
KingNeptune

So ive been calling and bugging city council and they keep giving me this "Im sorry but we're not interested, good luck" bullshit. This system blows, im trying to spray legally but no one wants to make a legal opening, illegal graffiti is the only choice i have, damnit, and thats not what i i want to do, sure ive already done some illegal, but my close calls are gonna weigh in soon and i dont want to find myself stuck in a cell for art crimes.

fack

Jun 17, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
KingNeptune

maybe i should introduce myself
hi guys
im a freshman in college, studying architecture
as you can see im also a graffiti artist

yo

Jun 17, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

I use to add my Murals in a tread here that has been going on for a while now. But the Graffiti I do is not with letters beside I allway's paint with silver and black so no colors. Where I made my paintings is a fence with 14 huge Graffiti pieces and my only Street Art works -- that work perfect for both of us.
Only once in round 3 - 4 years someone painted over my images, and that was an obvious jeloux hate crime, realy they had to crowd together 12 - 14 loosers to raise the gutts and after they spended a whole day to erase my works, their sad existance shined clearly thru the low quality ,wannabe amature scriblings they maneaged ; what they needed a whole day to plaster, I had up again alone in just two day's --- but these are issues you guy's newer thought about right ? Anyway here is what is at display now at my street studio ;

http://images.artwanted.com/large/75/3401_684075.jpg

Offcaurse the area are smaller now than before ;

http://images.artwanted.com/large/09/3401_667009.jpg

But while unique compared Graffiti, I also are free to change my direction, and soon there will be a different aproach in my works, you will see.

Wanna know more about the sort of Murals I do, check my ArtWanted galleri :

www.ArtWanted.com/PC

Or search for "Galleri Silver Screen" in this fora, it's not Graffiti it is experimenting develobing new tools, different expresions in niches forgotten, but much of it come very close to 3D , for me it is relaxing, just to become inspired untill I return to Kill The Brick.

Jun 17, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

My favorite one, now lost and in fact some allmost went crying about it, was this ;

Under the Yellow Natrium Street Light this image allmost went 3D, now it's gone , sad but that is how art end these day's. Lost by a jeloux hate crime.

Jun 17, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Sorry forgot again , that this site allow only those small size images, want to see the above in full, try these ;

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5303/sittingbull034acutoff4ek0.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/722/sta60064dx5.jpg

Jun 17, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Emagine what a surprise happen, when someone stop the car or someone step off the bike and go to you to say "Thank You ! " , and when you surprised ask , thank's about what, you are told that those faces, these portraits change expression during the day, so in the morning they fuel the day and is there after work, and next morning they brighten another sad day -- and "please don't change that one".

Now that is different than Graffiti, and make you wonder if the Graffiti people realised what oppotunity they grasped by forcing expressions in code angry messeages in huge quantities, crowding the public space with cult messeages , where people realy are glad about images they can reflect in their minds.

I know, these are "just" primitive images that could be made much better , I know .

Jun 17, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: