Apr 4, 07 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i would call it a "light dusting".

Apr 5, 07 12:33 am  · 
 · 
flyte

HELP!

hey people...I got an issue about program and space requirements. My partner and I have been designing the building using the "additional space requirements" as the TOTAL space requirements of the building. In other words, 9,770 sf for Library and 53,580 sf for Museum. We have just realized our error and are trying to fix it.
....here's the problem: how can we add extra square footage when they haven't given us the breakdown of the existing square footage. All we know is that the current library is 6,040 sf and the current museum is 22,536 sf. But if they want an office to increase by 200sf, they need to tell us what it is to begin with.....or am I missing something.

This sucks, I have reviews this Thursday.

Apr 9, 07 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Additional square footage indeed. As far as office space, though, there isn't much currently. The existing museum is mostly exhibition and the existing library is mostly stacks and a reading area. I'm under the assumption that if the program calls for a new 200 sq. ft. Librarian's Office, this is a new space, and one doesn't exist currently. Our midterm reviews were a few weeks ago, and you can see my boards in my blog entry here. We are working on our finals now, and have about 5 weeks left to wrap them up.

Apr 9, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Laurem

2.5 weeks left here. I'm taking the same view as Chili, I am pretty sure that they want new spaces. I think that the CD that the school was selling from their archive office has the floor plans that show where the offices are currently.

Apr 9, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 
flyte

Sounds good....this makes my life a little easier....thanks.

Apr 9, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
aking

One of the requirements is that we integrate new green technology into existing buildings. I am not quite sure that I understand this. They want us to modify what currently exists or integrate green design into what is proposed? Please help.

Apr 9, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

I think it's however you view it. The readings say the original building was designed to maintain it's climate with little energy use. It's your choice how to solve what should be done.

Apr 9, 07 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

However it is a requirement that many in my studio have overlooked. I have been thinking about this the entire time, but I try not to call to much attention to this. I think it is important, but should take a back seat to the design of the project.

Apr 9, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

I agree, a lot of people here are overlooking it too. Our teacher keeps reminding us to integrate green technologies (and it's a good idea to do it anyway), but this competition is such a large amount of program it makes it hard to get to it.

Apr 9, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
aking

So I still don't quite understand. Are they asking us to integrate green technologies into the Saarinen or Moneo buildings or into our new design. From what I understand Saarinen is already somewhat "green."

Apr 9, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
architechnid

As far as were concerned here at Texas Tech, we've moved with the assumption that you need to address it in your design. If that somehow affects Saarinen's or Moneo's buildings, than it should be something you've done consciously and is done to preserve the buildings.

Apr 10, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

So I am just curious... did everyone submit by yesterday at 5pm or did anyone find out that the due date was still May 30th although the posted date had changed without notice? My studio played it safe and submitted by the 16th, but I really could have used the 2 extra weeks.

May 17, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

My professor contacted the officials for the competition and the competition officially ended on the 16th, but they will accept boards until the 30th. I'm taking full advantage of the extra 2 weeks.

May 17, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

i tried emailing and calling but I couldnt reach anyone. I guess the frantic drive to DC wasn't needed.

May 19, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 
sammy-v

Bummer.. wish I would have found this thread earlier. I scrambled to send in my boards by the 16th (nobody in our class new about the later turn-in date) Oh well.

Here's a photo gallery showing most of my work for this studio-

Sure is a relief to be finished.. anybody else want to share?

Jun 5, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 

beautiful work, sammy. where are you in school.

congratulations.

more, please!

Jun 5, 07 9:45 am  · 
 · 
sammy-v

Thanks Steven! I'm in the Masters program at the University of Colorado/Denver. Finished my undergrad at CU Boulder in 2002.

Jun 5, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I'll post my boards from my final review to my schoolblog tonight. They aren't the boards I sent to the competition, but they're close.

Jun 5, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
simples

very challenging program for a student competition...i am curious to see the winning entries, and what type of solution to such a delicate problem will be considered successful...does anyone know when they will be announced (the webpage only says june 2007)

Jun 6, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
sammy-v

I'm very curious too. I've only seen 5 or 6 projects from my class (of which, very few were actually submitted to the competition). Any guesses on how many entries they have to look through? Quite a task!

Jun 6, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Laurem

I'll post my images somewhere once I get organized (I just bought a new laptop). I go to school at New Jersey Institute of Technology and 7 people out of our studio of 15 submitted. We mostly submitted by the first date and even though it would have been nice to have more time to work on it I did get a chance to enjoy time off before I started a summer studio.

Who else submitted? Are your entries online? I looked at Sammy's stuff, nice work.

Jun 6, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Okay I lied. I haven't posted my boards to my schoolblog yet, maybe this weekend. My class had 14 people registered. Of that, I think maybe 3 or 4 of us actually submitted.

Jun 7, 07 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Theresa

Just thought I'd leave a msg here and thank you guys for helping us to find information on the existing building back in March.

The winning entries are chosen~ But I don't know if it's announced to public yet.

Fanny Wu from University of Auckland, New Zealand came 2nd. That's all I know 'cos I know her. haha. I will try to get her to come here and talk about it herself eh?~

Jun 7, 07 10:01 am  · 
 · 
sammy-v

Please do! I can't wait to see the winning projects.

Jun 7, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
xxpirloxx

Hi, I'm Fanny (Theresa's friend) from the University of Auckland, New Zealand. I've just found out the result yesterday and I'm still really shocked.

The following links are images of the four boards which I've sent to Washinton DC. I would love to hear what you guys think!!

[BOARD 1]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodofj/535843117/

[BOARD 2]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodofj/535843119/

[BOARD 3]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodofj/535843123/

[BOARD 4]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodofj/535843125/

Jun 8, 07 6:34 am  · 
 · 

whoa. haven't had time to absorb the design yet, fanny, but those drawings are scrumptious!

Jun 8, 07 7:30 am  · 
 · 
sammy-v

Very cool.. I wish I could see those in person. Did you submit prints, or original drawings?

Jun 11, 07 9:25 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

those drawings remind of the early 90's. i love them.

Jun 11, 07 10:09 am  · 
 · 
sammy-v

By the way, how were you notified? I'm wondering when/how they'll announce all the winners.

Jun 11, 07 10:13 am  · 
 · 
xxpirloxx

thanks guys!!

to [sammy-v], i was notified by email, on the 6th of june.

the email briefly says:
"...We received an overwhelming response of design submissions! First, Second, and Third Prizes along with one Honorable Mention were awarded. "

"...Your prize-winning design are currently on display at Columbia University, Graduate School of Architecture and will be exhibited at the Cranbrook Academy, July 2007; ACSA Annual Meeting in Houston, TX, March 2008; and the American Institute of Architects National Convention in Boston, MA, May 2008. In addition, your project will be published in an online Competition Summary and soon to be out Press Release. Winning project images and Press Release will be available on the ACSA website (www.acsa-arch.org).
"

Jun 11, 07 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

Tomorrow, I will be stopping by Columbia to work on a analytique for my summer studio, so I am taking the chance to view the winners. I'll post my findings (with pictures if possible) when I get back.

Congrats Fanny and unknown others!

Jun 17, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
simples

laurem, please do...i am still quite interested in seeing the results...

i like contrasts in architecture, and preservation by provocation seem to indicate just that...i was a guest critic for a design studio that worked on the competition and was very intrigued by it.

fanny, beautiful drawings. would love to see how your glass boxes would interact with the stone and brick "background" of the museum...if your project is any indication, the jurors seem to responding to thoughtfulness for the built form, and respect to the existing conditions. I wonder if any winning entries will be more offensive interventions.

Jun 18, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Laurem

They aren't the best pictures, but I have something due for summer studio tomorrow so I can't really edit them so here they are glare, weird angles, blurs and all!

http://picasaweb.google.com/laurenempage/CranbrookCompetition

Jun 18, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
simples

laurem...thank you for taking the time to post the pictures through your busy schedule...

the first place entry is quite an elegant answer (a bit of H+dM Tate Modern flavor...i wonder if the roof of the museum/library can take the additional load)...the third place surprised me as it seemed to do little to interact with the existing museum+library structure...

Jun 19, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 
xxpirloxx

simples, when I was doing the design, I concentrated mainly on the existing building. Most of my drawings focused on the connection between the existing structure and the glass cases and how it take people to the underground space.

Laurem, thanks so much for sharing the pictures and it's really nice to see what others are doing on the other side of the world!

Jun 20, 07 5:14 am  · 
 · 
aking

Does anyone have a picture of the Woodward ave entry piece by Dan Hoffman? I have been unable to locate one that really shows the canopy well.

Jan 24, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

How's this?

Not my photograph, so you might ask the author if you plan on using it for something other than reference...

Jan 24, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
aking

thanks, thats perfect.

Jan 24, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: