Archinect
anchor

how important is an architecture education?

vado retro

the best prof i had in architecture school never went to architecture school. he was an older guy, hemingwayesque hard drinker world war 2 precursor to the navy sealsetc who worked his way through and became architect. his only degree was from the 70's when he got a bfa in painting.

Aug 25, 06 9:07 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

but an ivy league degree could leave you with many opportunities as well...

Aug 25, 06 10:36 am  · 
 · 
TaliesinGuy

Modularnyc
I received an advanced copy a few months ago, and was so disturbed by the content I called a friend of mine who has been a member of the fellowship most her life, her mother was/is an early apprentice from the 1930's. I was not surprised that Taliesin was not sent the preview copy, so I sent her mine. This authors of this book took advantage of a very good friend of mine, because of her good nature. They represented themselves as researchers that were wanting to offer a balanced view of the Fellowship, but instead went for the shock value. They did at least at her request remove her name from the credits. Much of the contents may be accurate, but, who really cares who slept with who 60 years ago. I worked with one of the only former Wright apprentices that Wright shared an office with. He never had a negative thing to say about the Wrights or his experience. But then, he was a gentleman.

Aug 25, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Correct me if I'm wrong but, FLW only had 1 year of engineering at U of Wisconsin then built barns for his uncle before moving to Chicago.

Corb worked for Perret(sp?) who was doing some early poured concrete engineering and form designs. He apprenticed in his school years as a watch maker rather than formal education.

Mies apprenticed with his father, a bricklayer, before doing many years as a high end, mundane residential architect for upper middle class Germans. Again no formal education. It was relatively later in his life, at the age of 40 he became involved with Gropius and the Bauhaus.( anyone vfy?)

The three 20th century Master Builders so coveted by the academics who claim we need 4+2 or 5+1 in addition to apprenticeship would be wise to look at the trees from the forest so to speak.

Aug 25, 06 11:21 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the only thing about them ep is that they were geniuses and we are not. a genius doesn't really need college. i mean did orson welles go to college? hell no.

Aug 25, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
James Mayers

Aalto went to uni, clutching at the most reassuring finnish-master-of-regional-modernism shaped straw I know of...

Aug 25, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
BLK

but today thing are a bit different

Koolhas was a few years a journalist and a scriptwriter then went to architecture school

Calatrava var a sculptor, then went to architecture school.

just to name a few.

Today the knolidge used in a building design is much greater than 80 years ago, we need the school, but we do not weed to get shaped 100% by it, the we loose our freedom in thinking. freedom of the mind is indeed in danger in an architecture school.

I guess schools are not that bad, if you know how to select and use the stuff you learn.

Aug 25, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

I had a friend who suggested:

People go to the Ivies to meet the other people that go to the Ivies.

Aug 25, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
modularnyc

Taliesen guy, thats a shame, because i just purchased the book....

Aug 25, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not comfortable with the generalisations being made about an architectural education.

Personally I found that my own education particularly at the graduate level prepared me very well, not to say that it gave me an understanding of every tool, scenario, and technique out there - but more than a basic knowledge of the way architecture "can" be practiced. As well it operated on the premise that schools wouldn't be able to teach everything, which was further expoded by Ivor Smith's article in the school's journal, "Learning from Experience" - that an architect's seminal education comes in the practice not in the preparation.

Sep 20, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
marcfaust

I actually watch in National Geographic Channel the marvel of the works of an Architecture. The design or structures will not be around with these people.

One of the best hotel in Dubai consider as the tallest tower or building in the world is one of the great masterpiece of an architecture. Lucky today in the world of outsourcing and lead generation age. Entrepreneur or businessman can outsource the design of their building to an affordable foreign worker.

Apr 4, 11 6:21 am  · 
 · 
207moak

It's only important if you want to be an architect.

Apr 4, 11 7:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: