Archinect
anchor

bicycles

FRO

agfa- save your self-righteous crap for politics and theory.

I have more than one bike- I just dont race the others, so there's no pics online. the bike pictured has been on better UPHILL AND DOWNHILL cross country rides than most people who call themselves cross country riders will ever dream of. Do you realize you sound just like the people that tried to keep the abomination now known as 'mountain bikes' from even being legal on trails? (after all, those wide knobby tires have horrible rolling resistance, especially at only 35 psi on tiny 26" wheels)

But now that I 'm done ranting, all 4 of my bikes have 2 wheels just like all the other bikes out there forfuckssake, so maybe we're all on the same team and we can all have fun on bikes without having to decide which ones are the 'right' bikes. But if you must, I still recommend against picking fights with guys in body armor.

Apr 10, 06 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Just had to through out my old Moser Road bike yesterday( bent frame / out dated Campy components ). I thought one day I would take all the components off the frame and put them on a knew one after an accident I had on it like 15 yrs ago, but moved cities and been on my mt. bike ever since. On to like my third Mt. bike and never ever got back to the road. Still want to get back to the road toad thing but recently bought some super skinny slicks for the mt. bike and totally enjoying the ride. think I'll get a new set of wheels so I can be road guy or dirt guy with a quick change of teh wheels.

Apr 10, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

700c that's a sweet ride...what's the make?

Apr 10, 06 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

beware of bike thief

Apr 10, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
700c

mightylitte, it's an indy fab crown jewel...

Apr 10, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

yow, fro, lighten up.

Apr 10, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Downhill bikes are like the Wes Jones of Architecture.

KIDDING AHHH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH Joking.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I mountain biked when I was in NC. A lot of fun clipping saplings and dishin wheels.

Now I dodge potholes and people on cellphones

Apr 10, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

shit that was my 718'th post....

MAD BK PRIDE IN THAT!

7-1-8

Apr 10, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Cure

sweet rims...im getting into this whole road biking thing...what kinds do u recommend for amateurs? oh ,,, im going to be riding all around manhattan...i saw what kinda tires and/or frame...whats best for decent cost? thanks for the help

Apr 10, 06 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

Indy Fab is the pie. If I could afford one of their bikes I would as they're the big local fabricator out here. However, given the choice between a Vanilla and an IF, I'd have to pass on hometown pride and go with the Vanilla.

On the bike pr0n topic, some of us prefer videos.

I wonder what kind of bike Per rides...

Apr 11, 06 8:14 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Jonathan - go to NYC bikes and pick up a basic foul weather wheelset for $180.

Throw some 30c tyres on it and you'll be golden.

Apr 11, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 
Cure

johnP could u walk me thru that, i went to the site but couldn't place anything below 300..

Apr 11, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly
LINK

Flip flop wheelset [free wheel on one side, fixed on other] - I think they're $180 now because they upgraded from the Suzue hubs. They're in WBurg on Havemeyer two blocks south of Grand St. Talk to will, or anyone else in the shop. If you have $250 to drop, i'd go with the Swift Sun Rims - double butted spokes, better hub and a lighter rim.

Apr 11, 06 11:29 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

did peugeot stop production on their bikes or something?...are they supposedly rare?..

Apr 13, 06 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

From Classic Rendezvous:

"Peugeot has been the Schwinn of France for many years. The availability of Peugeot in the USA has varied over the years from being virtually unobtainable in the first portion of the century, to a huge influx during the 1970's USA bike boom. Then in the late 80's, Peugeot ceased shipments to the USA and sold the rights to the name for use in North America to ProCycle in Canada (Also known as CCM.)

In Europe, the bicycles are now produced by Cycleurope SA, 120 avenue Charles De Gaulle, 92200 Neuilly sur Seine Tél. 01 41 43 24 75 although it is reported that the brand will be phased out and only used on automobiles in the future."

Apr 13, 06 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Kentique

It seems to be a common misconception that "breakless" fixed-gear bicycles does not have a break.

In fact, they do have a break- it just dosent look like a traditional break. This type of break is called MANLINESS. If you didnt have the MANLINESS in you, you would not be able to stop.
(girls with breakless, I never said girls cant have manliness, so dont call me sexist)

Apr 14, 06 2:04 am  · 
 · 
zeth01

in need one of these http://www.bmeres.com/bambooframe.htm

Apr 14, 06 3:07 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I've got some serious single speed friends (not brakeless). I still don't understand it.

Apr 14, 06 8:40 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Did y'all hear Kentique there?

Hell Yeah.

Yeah.

Apr 15, 06 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Cure

i tried looking on ebay for a road/touring bike...but my budget is really limited...i want a decent bike, but all the bids are going over 250...im only able to go to about 150...less is better. any other sites or cheap give away sites?

Apr 15, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not even going to get dragged into the definition of brake arguement.

Yup, back pressure works and can stop you no arguement there, but "riding brakeless" typically refers to riding without an emergency brake.

Apr 15, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Jonathan: scour Craigslist on a regular basis, you shoudl be able to pick up something there for that price range. Keep your expectations realistic though, $150 won't get you too far...

Apr 15, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

Bianchi Eros w/ Yakima tow behind whoosyhadinkle carrier thingy. A true touring/commuting bike. I was a bike courrier in Boston for a year (even through the snow) and I dream of being in condition enough to push a fixed gear around town agan. If I bought a bike tomorrrow it'd be a Cyclocross bike - the ultimate in versatility.

Apr 15, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
remonio

Jonathan: Pixelwhore is right - $150 may not get you much. You could try the guys at http://www.times-up.org

They usually have bikes they've fixed up that they sell. They're at 49 East Houston (bet. Mott and Mulberry)

Apr 16, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

got a bianchi alfana mid-late 90s model for $100 on ebay. frame was still good. 105 components. replaced the saddle, chain and cassette and it was good as new. it's my first road bike. i'm excited.

jonathan- you can find stuff for under $200 on ebay or craigslist but you gotta wait for the right deal to come along. it's all about being persistent.

Apr 17, 06 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Nevermore
Apr 19, 06 6:46 am  · 
 · 
Cure

i found a brand new 2006 dawes sports road bike for 240 total+tax and shipping on ebay. wondering if a 14 speed is good or common so i can replace it if its old or broken? i heard 24 is most common though but its pretty expensive. im still looking at ebay bikes !

Apr 19, 06 9:49 am  · 
 · 

come on Prolly... lets see some pics of your Angus! I'm curious to hear how the geometry of the frame is: more trackish than the MarkV or more or less the same...

Apr 19, 06 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I'm getting my Orange Angus IRO in the mail tomorrow and my Rolls white perforrated leather saddle, Vredestein tyres, Lime Green reload frame pad and Lime green Champ grips....

Gangsta son.

Apr 19, 06 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

You getting the lime green Deep V rims to go with that?

Apr 19, 06 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

Just bought a 2005 Santa Cruz Chameleon....she's a mean b.

Full Shimano XT Components
Mechanical Disc breaks
Duke Adjustable Hydra Air fork
Thompson seat post and stem
Italia saddle
Shimano Aluminum SPD Clipless pedals

Apr 19, 06 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

The Queen does not "bike".

Apr 19, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
_other_

mine's actually red ,,,but you get the idea

Apr 19, 06 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
_other_

mine's actually red ,,,but you get the idea

Apr 19, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
_other_

sorry

Apr 19, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

i need to upsize the chain ring on my on-one inbred.

What size do all you Londoners run?

I was thinking a 36 or a 38? I think I may be too soft for anything bigger, and I like to be first out of the lights!

Apr 20, 06 8:47 am  · 
 · 
appleate

fuji track. mcfixie, yeah, but cheaper and lighter than a conversion. I rode it fixed around the city for a year, but then I moved to the suburbs (yuck) and it started hurting my knees. So now it's set up as more of a long haul commuter, with lights, brakes, freewheel, fenders.

Apr 20, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 

How do the spokecards help on the commute? :-)

There was just a recall on the hubs that came with the Fuji's for a certain year, can't remember off the top of my head. Might want to look into it.

Don't blame you for going with a more track bike, I'm not a fan of riding a converstion but its what I have. I debate on a daily basis the idea of buying a new bike or just staying with the conversion for a bit more.

Apr 20, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 
AP

I dig the retro-stylee (w/ 2 ee's) fixed gear road bikes...Pixel and JP...

I'm savin' up for one of these bad boys:
Cannondale Jekyll - full suspension (check the sweet geometry on the rear suspension) - lefty fork up front - disc brakes.

Apr 20, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 
appleate

With the spoke cards, I'm one step closer to a rear disk!

Apr 20, 06 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I love my old BikeE.

Mine's blue.

Apr 20, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
With the spoke cards, I'm one step closer to a rear disk!

haha!
I looked for a picture I saw once of a rear wheel completely covered with spoke cards but couldn't find it.

Apr 20, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Spoke cards, on the messenger circuit, are all records of alley cat races that one has entered.

Watch the videos that are linked to above, particularly the NY one that starts with the guy saying "I'm gunna eat your cheese"

Also, for those in New York, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Chicago, London, San Francisco, Sydney, Tokyo, and Milano the bicycle film festival is coming some time soon...

For those in London, last year, it was the biggest gathering of fixed wheel bicycles (outside the Theatre at St. Martins) I have ever seen.

Apr 20, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

I know what spoke cards are if you were talking to me...

Apr 20, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

hahhahahahahhahahahahaa frontin

Yeah Pixel that DUMBO scramble was worth the sore ass and dished rim.

Apr 20, 06 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Had to switch to 23s after my 20s killed my ass and rims...

Apr 20, 06 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

you know you live in NYC when you have to chain your seat...

Apr 20, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

You know you live in Boston when no one really enjoys riding there.

heh.

ZELDA here I come...

Apr 26, 06 9:33 am  · 
 · 

SHITS HOT!!! You putting the grips on the flats or the horns?

I might be ordering a black Angus instead of the Mark V (I'm a sucker for the classic quill stems) to become my summer ride and because I want to be more like JohnProlly. I'm partial to the Nitto B-019 horns though, I like the drop on the side.

Apr 26, 06 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
asauer

I dig the bikes, especially the retro road bikes (JohnProlly, PsyArch), not sure about the fixies though. Did the original bike have gears? Any advice on what to buy? I want to get something with a light solid frame, but dont need all the racing road bike amenities. I'd like to get something that I could put some time and money and costomize it for my riding conditions. Ill be moving to Atlanta here in a couple of weeks, anyone know any good bike shops?

Apr 26, 06 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: