Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

A Center for Ants?

not your fault. i'd rather freak out and know what's going on. don't feel bad. you should be stoked you got in.

Mar 9, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
flickbee

i got into UIUC today. urbana is not really my first choice but atleast i have an option and it does make me feel like i wasn't too crazy applying for an M.Arch.
i also haven't heard from yale. i am also not feeling particularly optimistic about that.

my friend at the GSD emailed me today and said that she saw a whole bunch admissions folders in boxes in the dept admissions office. i don't know if that reassures anyone here. it kind of makes me feel better though

Mar 9, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

"its the 21st century...nobody really likes eachother, so- erm- lets just leave it at that"- Mark/Mez of Peepshow

Mar 9, 06 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

my friend, who's also applying to m.arch programs, received word from Wash U. in St. Louis, for those who may care...

Mar 9, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

flickbee, where are you from and where else did u apply?

I'm at UIUC undergrad right now...I could help provide on some insights.....

Mar 9, 06 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
kaf

I have heard positives from both Washington University and the University of Washington (Seattle.)

Mar 9, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
flickbee

artcrimes, im in chicago. i applied to an embarssingly pretentious list of ivies and uiuc. i would love to talk about uiuc/stuff since i will be new to arch.
i'm also rather embarassed to respond so quickly! look how obsessively i'm checking the updates here...ugh.

Mar 9, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

Seattle is awesome (my home right now) and I think it's hard-pressed to find a better location for a school - mountains, water, and a vibrant, cultured, fun city. In general the university is tops, but I'm unsure how the school of architecture ranks among the others - guess I'll find out come the open house, although I wouldn't mind your feedback...

Mar 9, 06 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

hehe, i totally understand, my friend. it is completely destructive to our collective pshyches to have this forum right now.

email me or whatever through clicking on my name here and ask away. I'd love to give you any insights.

Mar 9, 06 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

Big congrats to everyone accepted to Yale and elsewhere! This thread just exploded today...I count 49 posts in the last 24 hours.

Mar 9, 06 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

was there a thread like this last year?

Mar 9, 06 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
meta

congrats to th people who got in.
how many does yale accept?

yeah i there was one and it went on to nearly 10 pages.

Mar 9, 06 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
skeerd

do you remember what it was called?

Mar 9, 06 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
salparadi

search for "Graduate School Decision Dates"

Mar 9, 06 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

I don't know who I am anymore. I'm going into real estate.

Mar 9, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

I can imagine how insane it was last year; the topics were numerically numbered.

Mar 9, 06 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

numerically numbered?

Mar 9, 06 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

goddamn it. someother jackass from my school got into yale too. this kid is such a bastard; he is the most arrogant, self-indulgent bastard i have ever seen draw.

son of a bitch.

Mar 9, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
guiggster

Well, looks like I didn't get into Yale..which is ok. I just hope that doesn't mean that I didn't get into the other Ivies...'cause I'd like to get into MIT. artcrimes, you're dead when I see you in school on Monday!

just kidding...I didn't get into Yale so it can't be me...the description was just so on point.

Mar 10, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

guiggster, did you get an actual rejection letter or is this based on not getting an acceptance email?

Mar 10, 06 12:29 am  · 
 · 
artcrimes

no..it makes me think..if this kid got in...the hell does it mean if i got in. I'm sorry, but it makes me strongly question the merit of my application.

does anyone know the kind of point i'm trying to make here?!

Mar 10, 06 1:10 am  · 
 · 
strugs

This may cause more harm than good....but, I didn't check my mail when I got home last night, but on my way out the door this morning I peeked in the mailbox and there was a letter from Columbia. I haven't opened it yet -- I'm ridiculously superstitious -- but I thought I'd pass it on the rest of the neurotic people in this forum.

The details...
It was a small envelope (argh).
But, it felt like it was more than one page (hmmm)

Now I just need to wait for Uranus to move into the second house of Pluto and then I can open the seal with my left hand using an antique letter opener made in the southern hemisphere while blinking my right eye in the Fibonacci sequence...

Mar 10, 06 10:19 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

haha strugs, well put.

though i had the opposite approach when opening mine. first (and as yet only) letter was waiting in mailbox after gettng home from long trip, dropped everything (on stairs) immediately when i noticed school stationary and tore in to the good news.

Mar 10, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 
switcheroo

i visited osu yesterday for their open house. it was lovely. their new building is AMAZING. i think having such a wonderful building will put a lot of wind behind the program's sails. they said they were so impressed with the quality of this year's applicants that they admitted twice as many as they did last year, with plans to add another studio to accomodate. one of the current students told some of us to check out archinect. i had to admit my current obsession with this thread. you all were represented at osu!

right now i'm at an interesting position. i have two acceptances (osu and gatech) and could really care less to hear anything back from the other 5 schools... i can see myself being completely content at either school. i'm beginning to devalue the ivy education due to overwhelming cost and not getting all that much in return.

after the first year of out-of-state tuition at osu or gatech (~$9k), most everyone gets an assistantship, which pays full tuition (and sometimes a monthly stipend)! plus at osu they have an awesome summer study abroad program. 5 weeks long, either western or central europe (depending on year), but always excluding italy (there's too much to see there). the focus on the abroad program is current design, too, which is refreshing. sure seeing the pantheon is valuable, but what is the direction of modern architecture?

it certainly is exciting.

Mar 10, 06 11:13 am  · 
 · 
mab82

strugs - way way too funny

curious to know what are everyone's top choices? and is everyone else going between huge swings of self-confidence and self-deprication?

Mar 10, 06 11:28 am  · 
 · 
jwo

switcheroo - what did you think about the rest of the campus and columbus?

Mar 10, 06 11:43 am  · 
 · 
mn

a letter from columbia? did you get in???

Mar 10, 06 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
mnesikles

my wife just called.......columbia (MSAAD) will take me, even if no one else will........(sorry, i normally wouldn't post something like this, but i needed some anxiety relief)

no info on money though.....that's the big question for me...

Mar 10, 06 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
switcheroo

the campus was big and pretty. i was thinking it'd be more of an ugly state school, but there was a lot of noticeable history there. it's pretty flat, so that's kinda new for me. they're developing the south campus, which looks pretty fun. has a cinema, bars and clubs, restaurants, big barnes and noble, etc. a few blocks south of campus is ghetto student housing basically, which is where i stayed with a friend who's in the law school. we drove around the city and hung out a bit in the short north, which is the artsy neighborhood between downtown and campus. it was a nice place, probably where i would look to live if i choose osu. overall i've heard good things about the city as a whole. there is a ton of business there, so it's a pretty secure city. i saw osu pride everywhere; they're crazy about football and anything buckeye-related. bumper stickers stating "i bleed scarlet (and grey)". hot dog vendors all over campus. i was thinking, where is the thai truck? indian truck? campus seemed mostly white, some asians, a few black people. i was happy to see some girls with big mohawks in the arch building, despite it being final crits. didn't see any roll-away beds, dumpy couches, or beer fridges lying around. maybe they cleaned up for the newbies, but i didn't get a sense of things being so overwhelming and stressful. unlike harvard, people actually seemed prepared for their crits, were well-rested and cleanly-shaven.

Mar 10, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
laxchc11

uva has sent their rejections.... little envelope

another reason to take A&M's acceptance and run w/ it

Mar 10, 06 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

columbia acceptances come in small envelopes...or they did three years ago, anyway.

Mar 10, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
cynic

no beer fridges?.....clean-shaven?.....well-prepared for review?......!!!

what kind of architecture school is this!?

Mar 10, 06 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
two-headed boy

mnesikles- way to go! Superheavy and strugs-March or MSAAD? Im going to go home and sit on the curb by the mailbox...

Mar 10, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Alana

I recieved an acceptance from UBC and am waiting on UofT. The application dates were two weeks apart, so perhaps in a week from now I'll hear from UofT. Now it's decision making time...

Mar 10, 06 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

switcheroo, thanks for that analysis, that was great.

i wish i could have made it to the open house to see the student work. what did you think of it? i can tell by pictures that i would love the building, and i've also heard a lot of good things about columbus. i'm coming from a big state school but one in a much smaller town...

Mar 10, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

Now I am going to go home for lunch and look to see if a letter is there from Columbia. I am ready to get this process over and done with!

Mar 10, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

I also got a 50% Graduate Assitantship at OSU. That takes care of any financial concerns. I was also amazed at their building and the overall quality of student work on display. The open environment greatly contrasts where I'm currently studing. The reviews seemed to be a little laid back and the students appeared rested. Traversing the building also provides plenty of exercise and confusion. I think I've pretty much made my mind up but I'll have to see. They also require a commitment by April 1st for the financial offer

Mar 10, 06 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
joe architect

Alana... when you say U of T do you mean UT-Austin or University of Tenn.?

Mar 10, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

my blood pressure is PULSATING

laxchc11 - did you receive a letter from UVa recently? You mentioned a little envelope. Haven't heard from them and one can only assume.. :-(

Mar 10, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

When I applied to Columbia's Urban Planning program three years ago, the acceptance letters had my handwriting on it (I remember that you had to fill out these little labels -- but I had no idea that they were going to use it on future correspondence). I also remember that I got the invitation to their open house before I got the actual acceptance letter. I also recall that Princeton sends out rejection emails (hard copies available uopn request) -- but that was for PhD stuff.

Mar 10, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

maybe i'm confused...some posts seem to imply that there are actually schools that don't send out rejection notifications??

that seems incredibly unprofessional and inconsiderate. given the time and energy you've all put into your applications, I would think that even a form letter/email wouldn't be too much to ask...

Mar 10, 06 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Schools do send out rejection notifications ... but the fact that these notifications appear as boilerplate emails and mass-produced form letters is less than what I would want in a rejection notice -- especially after I've spent ridiculous amounts of money applying to schools.

Mar 10, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
ice9

broccolijet-

its called an e-ject. i think princeton invented it...

Mar 10, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Alana

Joe Architect: I mean the University of Toronto...

Mar 10, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
laxchc11

mab - yeah, UVA sends their rejections in a little envelope w/ the green logo on the top left. Got it today. Sucks, but i didnt expect/ want to get in there anyways... onward to Texas!

Mar 10, 06 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

happy belated birthday, ice9

Mar 10, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
joe architect

HA! Alana sorry... just getting crazy like everyone else

Mar 10, 06 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

has anyone gotten officially rejected from yale?

Mar 10, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

yeah Smokety -- at $60-$100 per application fee, it seems that would cover 10 minutes of an admin's time to bust out a decent "sorry, but good luck" -- thanks for clearing that up btw

e-ject... i love puns

Mar 10, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
mab82

laxchc11 - well I'll let you know when I get mine. I do feel similarly - although UVa is a great school, I don't know how I feel about Charlottesville. I haven't visited UVa (well, any of the schools - which was probably not a good move) or Charlottesville so I truly don't know what it's like, but I'm ready to be in a larger city. Not that I'll be able to enjoy my surroundings whilst stuck in studio...

Mar 10, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: