Archinect
anchor

accepted to grad schools yet?

badass japanese cookie

you know, i've been waiting for this thread all year.... cos' it ain't over until the fat lady sings. now that it's march, things are only getting started...

Mar 1, 06 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

I was curious about this same interim last year and checked out a couple of the similar threads. Lots of people in a panic. Thank god for this archinect blog to share some of the frustration and restless thought processes with.......It's gonna be a long month.

I'm gonna place a bet on how many posts there will be in this thread by 4/1 (the supposed deadline for when acceptance decisions are mailed). I'm gonna go with 582 frantic, frustrated, and increasingly emotional postings. Nice round number.

d

Mar 1, 06 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
mdp

received good news from ubc and uw last week. that was frankly pretty fabulous. feel like i am riding a roller coaster, however- i feel like i can't think about any kind of decisions until i hear from all prospective schools.... plus, i am wondering if i should just count berkeley into a west coast visiting trip, even if i don't hear form them before i head out there.
huh.
i was definitely NOT expecting to hear so early. or by telephone!!!

Mar 1, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
mlee

A friend got an acceptance from the gsd the other day

Mar 2, 06 3:32 am  · 
 · 
GtHtAu.

which program, malcolmelee

Mar 2, 06 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Howard Roark

If I haven't heard from Parsons yet, is that a bad thing...I'm on the west coast so maybe there is a delay in the mail. The anxiety is killing me.

Which is the better program of the two, Pratt or Parsons?

Mar 2, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 
Howard Roark

I also heard that someone on another post had a phone interview with CCA. Anyone else heard from them?

Mar 2, 06 9:12 am  · 
 · 
salparadi

cruel malcolm, cruel

Mar 2, 06 9:17 am  · 
 · 
boooyaka

Malcolmelee---

Which program at the GSD? You're killing me!

Are you playing a cruel trick!!!

Mar 2, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
boooyaka

ANTS -

I am an Ivy League snob as well... as many other on this posting are. I lived in LA for a few years after graduation and I would love to get back out there. My choice of applying to UCLA and Sci-ARc was based predominantly on the WEATHER!

I HATE THE COLD... but if I actually get into HArvard the cold won't keep me away!

Mar 2, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i can't bear to read this thread anymore. it's giving me ulcers.

Mar 2, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
mlee

Sorry to cause such a fuss. It's a guy named steven, he's a good friend of a friend, I've spoken to him a few times, but he says that he's been accepted - MARCH I assume, although, sorry I don't really know. He lives in Boston, so things probably get to him a little faster.

Mar 2, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

Ants I agree... but it is fun in that sort of masicist way right?

Just cross your fingers I am sure most people will at least get into ONE school... at this point I'll be happy with one acceptance, because otherwise I have to continue on in my current job and repeat the whole damn process next year.

Mar 2, 06 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i heard harvard calls you. did he get a call?

Mar 2, 06 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
crispy

everyone might get into ONE school, yes. but most people WON'T get into the GSD or GSAPP or, or, or.

Mar 2, 06 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

so how many people do you think apply? and for how many spots?

the GSD has what, something like 60-70 for M.Arch I and 10-12 for M.Arch. I (AP), from what I can remember.

I dunno about the other Ivy's, although I hear Yale and Upenn are really hard to get into.

Mar 2, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Elimelech

crispy, artcrimes:
if you have nothign say dont say anything at all. These cats dont need a reality check, they need our prayers, hell an entire rosary. They are all great candidates, but a little help never hurt no one.

Mar 2, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

you are right, seeing how i am one of those cats.

:(

Mar 2, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

throw in a few our fathers and two hail mary's while you're at it

c/o MIT Architecture Admissions

i keep checking this thread. i don't think this is healthy. good thing i am going to be away from a computer for the weekend.

Mar 2, 06 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
crispy

having applied, i'm in the same boat as the rest of them.

them that's not getting into nowhere!

i'm comfortable taking into account the odds against being accepted. and tonight i'm going to start a list of things to do instead of going to school. yeah, let me get right on that:

1. read all of the books that i would have read had i gotten into grad school.

2. read all of the books that i wouldn't have had time to read while in grad school.

3. spend the equivalent of a years tuition on travel to all of the places i wouldn't have been able to go to if in grad school.

4. take karate and judo classes. piano and voice lessons.

5. also get buff and healthy and maintain my youthful glow so that when i apply again i will still look young and be more healthy than those who were stuck in studio all year.

6. get my sketch on.

Mar 2, 06 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

I suggest phone calls in lieu of waiting around for letters. Phasty, on waiting to hear back from Parson' s....if their decisions are made and you're just waiting on a letter, just call them. Tell them you heard through the grape vine that decsions are made and that letters were sent out, biut that you are away from your mailing address for a week.

Apparently some schools won't tell you over the phone for some stupid reason, but if that's the case, send an e-mail.

They're the ones playing god with your future, the least they can do is be up front about it and tell you over the phone wether you're in or not. I know Texas affords that luxury. IIT won't tell you over the phone, but suggest an e-mail (by the way, IIT letter's were sent out yesterday apparently). UCLA seemed to have no problem disclosing information via telephone. They are in the review process still.

I have yet to call Columbia and UPenn, but now that I hear that some decisions from Ivy's have begun raining down from the heaven's....guess what I'm doing during lunch tommorrow!!!

Mar 2, 06 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
jsipprell

i'm a student at ucla now - i've seen the faculty going over portfolios the last two weeks and it seems like they're wrapping it up. last year they had an open house the first day of spring quarter which is the first week in april so i gotta imagine they're sending that stuff out pretty soon.

Mar 2, 06 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
strugs

Argh...nearly had a heart attack tonight.

Came home, saw the lil' guy staring at me from the mailbox. I set it on the coffee table and stared at it a bit -- I was freakin' out b/c this school was one of my last resorts...

Opened it -- apparently they never received part of my application. They had already emailed me about this once, to which I promptly replied. And now a month later, they mail the same question to me. So frustrating -- at least I know I might still be in the running.

Do you see what this whole process does to you? You fear envelopes! I have to build up courage to open my own mailbox...and now I involuntarily check this ridiculous thread multiple times a day....any other symptoms?

Mar 2, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

i just wrote a somewhat detailed post asking for opinions on a decision to make re acceptance to a grad school. In writing the post I understood I already knew the answer,

thanks guys and gals.

Mar 3, 06 12:23 am  · 
 · 
switcheroo

i was accepted today via email to GATech (for M Arch I)
i was accepted tuesday via email to OSU

i visited GATech a few weeks ago and was fairly impressed. i may even like it better than harvard, but i think my chances of needing to make a choice between GATech and harvard are slim.

i'm planning on visiting OSU for their open house next week. anyone else planning on going? any opinions on OSU's program?

waiting to hear from 5 other schools...though i think i can already eliminate a few by having gotten in at GATech. GATech starts in MAY though, which is totally lame.

Mar 3, 06 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

switcheroo-

is the summer thing for the 3.5 yr m.arch?

Mar 3, 06 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

congratulations by the way ( :

Mar 3, 06 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
switcheroo

yup, 3.5 year M Arch I. i didn't know they started so early until i visited and ran into someone from undergrad. she told me to be prepared. even when i checked my app status online there were two applications listed, one for fall (which is what i submitted) and one for summer. the fall one said CANCELLED, and the summer one said COMPLETE, so i assume they rolled me over to the appropriate semester admission.

Mar 3, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

Switcheroo and others accepted to OSU:

To which program were you accepted? It sound like most of you are headed for the 3+ program...

I graduated from the undergrad program this past June and really only have positive things to say about the program. Excellent facilities and lecture series, some great faculty, and the graduate program is rather small so more 1-on-1 interaction is available than maybe at some other schools.

Mar 3, 06 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

Jisperell -

Did you happen to see a posrfolio about 1/2" thick with a yellowish orange cover??? I suspect that every professor is fighting over who exactly gets to hold it and on what day!! :)

don't i wish that were the TRUTH!

Mar 3, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
joe

a friend of mine just got accepted to the AA, so everyone else that applied keep your eyes open.

Mar 3, 06 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
iterati

Heard back from IIT today for MARCH I post-professional.....got in. It is my fallback, should I need to fall back. But it's good to know.

Mar 3, 06 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
artcrimes

wow dblefere, such arrogance.

i don't think at this time many people whose aspirations are IIT let alone A grad program need to know that IIT is your fallback "should you need it"

Mar 3, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

artcrimes, if those are the facts of what is going on in dblefere's life, than so be it. Maybe he/she will not get in anywhere else and you'll end up at the GSD. be happy for them.

Mar 3, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

I got excepted to Wash Univ, at St. Louis today; one of my safety school.

Mar 3, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Ryan Whitacre -

I got accepted to OSU for the One year masters degree. Any thoughts or insight about this program? I'm planning on going to the open house next thursday. Sorry for all the questions but any idea how many people are generally in this program. Thanks

Mar 3, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Anyone here think its at all benefical to do your masters work where you did your undergrad?

Mar 3, 06 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
GT+...:(

Friend of mine got into Catholic University today. . .

Mar 3, 06 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
whitllam

Jumpy - to be perfectly honest, I had no clue that they offered a one-year masters degree; I guess you just jump into the second year of the normally two-year masters program. In the grad program, there are maybe 20-25 students in each year of the program. Are you able to do this if you have a 5-year professional degree from another school? Wait a minute...I'm supposed to be answering the questions here! Like I said before, though, the grad program is very well-respected and often overshadowed by the Ivies, but definitely in the same ballpark in terms of facilities, rigor, and faculty. If you have any specific questions, you can email me.

Mar 3, 06 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

jumpy, by one-year masters so you mean the MArch II?

Mar 3, 06 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
appleate

UCLA started e-mailing decisions March 1st.

Mar 3, 06 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

I guess, not sure. They just seem to call it the one-year post professional Master of Architecture degree. I will already have a five year degree but I did it in four with summer school, I feel that I cheated myself in the process though.

Mar 3, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh. So you already have a pro degree. Then the one year makes sense. So this will be to make up for "cheating yourself"? A little more schoolin'?

Mar 3, 06 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

I graduate in May. I guess you could say it makes up for it but I actually like school. I not completely satisfied with my current institution and would like challenge myself at another school for a year. Plus it gives me a reason to move and try out a different place. Plus my fiance has to do student teaching for a year, so after next year we'll be free to move all over the place if we like. A word of advice to anyone, don't plan to get married one month after you graduate and right before you plan to move, to much to worry about.

Mar 3, 06 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Nachas

Well I have been accepted to 3 of the schools I have applied to, two of them called me to tell me, the other was by mail.

I was suprised to get phone calls from schools.

Mar 3, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
jumpy

Nachas- Congrats

Which 3 were you accepted to?

Mar 3, 06 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
boooyaka

appleeate

your a cruel cruel man or woman...now i will be afraid every time i open my inbox!!!

Mar 4, 06 1:11 am  · 
 · 
Nachas

I got into UVA, UNC Charlotte, and Catholic. Still waiting to hear from a few others.

Mar 4, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

nachas, did UVA call you or just mail the letter?

Mar 4, 06 10:52 am  · 
 · 
switcheroo

hmm i haven't heard from UNCC yet...

Mar 4, 06 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: