Archinect
anchor

Residential Design Myths

snooker

"You draw it I can build it!

Jan 13, 06 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I think about high school debate when I hear people bloating about howmany drawings it takes to create great projects. It is a bunch of crap, find yourself a worthwhile general contractor and work with him....
Just like HH Richardson did back in the 1800's. They will come to you
and tell you when something is screwed up.

Jan 13, 06 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

It only takes ten good quotes to destroy a file cabinet full of index cards with worthless qoutes.

Jan 13, 06 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

*that you must have a family room in addition to the living room
*that you have to have a bedroom for the live-in maid
*that the more moulding you pile around the doors and windows, the more 'tuscan' your home gets

Jan 13, 06 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
southpole

Speaking of drawings, QUANTITY DOES NOT MAKE IT BETTER, just like back in school went someone took the whole wall to present their project, it did not meant that the project was any good. Drawings are a communicating tool, to describe the intended design, I read about and architect that design all of his projects in letter size sheets, freehand!
I had a client that wanted a padded silk toilet room (for sound absorption).

Jan 13, 06 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Ramsey

Well the toilet has to be closed off because the damn bathroom is 300 sq. ft. of course. Excuse me, I mean the "Master Suite". Oh, and don't worry about the lighting. The electrician will figure it out.

Jan 13, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
myriam
It is a bunch of crap, find yourself a worthwhile general contractor and work with him....

I was JUST thinking this same thought while model-building. Part of the reason that our drawing sets are about 90 pages per house is that we've learned by being burned that every LITTLE thing has to be spelled out with the contractors our clients are willing to pay for. We are heading up into the next level of contractor on our newest project and I can already tell that he won't require as much documentation.

I mean, you hear "I only budgeted for the electricians to come in and put their outlets wherever a stud fell, I didn't budget for them to actual put them where you spec'd them, in this one drawing here on this one page in the set the outlets aren't shown, I'm gonna hafta change order this one, man... I can't change those things now" one too many times and you start drawing EVEN STUD FRAMING into blown up bathroom plans so you don't have to deal with a contractor who tells you he "didn't know" he'd have to frame a whole for the spec'd wall-hung toilet and that to reframe it will cost $400 etc etc etc.... RIDICULOUS. Even when I put it in the drawings they don't do it anyway, so I don't really know why I bother, I guess. Argh.

Jan 13, 06 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

* top quality imported european kitchen cabinets are well made.

Jan 14, 06 12:37 am  · 
 · 
sedition

that you can create a 'little bit of tuscany' on a flattened sand dune on the west australian coast an hrs drive from what could optimistically be called civilisation.

should i mention that the front lawn requires a damp proof membrane to protect the grass from salinity due to the rising water table as a result of cutting all the trees down to build houses?

nah, she'll be right mate.

Jan 14, 06 11:58 am  · 
 · 
garpike

shipping containers are a cheap way to build!

Jan 14, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
some person

* it's okay to buy home plans from a catalogue

Jan 14, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

You mean a caddalogue? Har har... shoot me please.

Jan 14, 06 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I think they snached one of my projects...I know I must have drawn that elevation a hundred times.

Jan 14, 06 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Wide Oak Flooring doesn't cup!

Jan 14, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Client: "We had an Architect, but we designed it ourselves."

Jan 14, 06 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

after studying the 500 series in the caddalogue, i am pretty sure i am more like 200 series kind of a person. i use to like 400's can you believe that?

*that nobody gets ideas from the 'caddalogue' is indeed a myth because there are so much of them and everybody knows those things are gorgious .. blah blah. 12877609 built.

Jan 14, 06 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Hot topic!!!

Sears

Jan 14, 06 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
e909
soaring two-story foyer

how passe. they'd need about 12 stories for a missile silo.

Jan 14, 06 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

model # 147
my friends own one in south central los angeles (probably the generation after the one pictured. really nice house with beautiful detailing. a real craftsman house. in that neighborhood whole blocks built by sears package.

Jan 14, 06 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
e909

it should be cheaper to move than remodel, but we've got prop13

Jan 15, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
e909
why read when you can iron?!

and you can refill the steam reservoir conveniently. the steam might smell a little unfresh, but it's convenient

Jan 15, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
e909

and when the client drops the iron, it burns some sensitive skin on it's way donw into the drink whereupon the client is electrocuted.

the customer is always right.

Jan 15, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
e909
* lavatories that sit on a counter represents the hi design for some and usually named as designer series or architectural line.

well, you don't have put such a big hole into the countertop

yet, some of hd's expo stores have closed.

Jan 15, 06 12:08 am  · 
 · 
e909
The electrician will figure it out.

and cut about half of the material out of the framing when installing the wiring.

Jan 15, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 

i am impressed by how many of you hate and belittle your clients.

Jan 15, 06 12:27 am  · 
 · 
e909

it's often said that designers hope most for good clients/customers.

the catch is that an well-informed client might not need much help from a designer.

Jan 15, 06 1:55 am  · 
 · 
StudioGhost

About the toilet being closed off thing... What's so wrong with that? My bathroom's like that, and I like it. When I want to take a dump, I don't need my sister next to me brushing her teeth. Excuse me, but my shit smells. *closes door* Ooh a door, quite a handy piece of wood.

Jan 15, 06 2:40 am  · 
 · 
snooker

^__^ Sounds like an old Sears Catalog might come in handy for you.

Jan 15, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
garpike

I wish the catolog homes were still like Sears. What have we done?

Jan 15, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

It's easy for an architect to design their own house!

Jan 15, 06 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

it shouldn't take more than 4 months to built.. right?
(wrong, small job usually becomes a big job)

Jan 16, 06 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: