Archinect
anchor

death of an american city

lexi

Yay!!! There is some money approved for levee protection!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/15/national/15cnd-levee.html?hp&ex=1134709200&en=046fa0c1beedf477&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Dec 15, 05 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i'm sure there are worse, but the first clear image of new orleans that i can remember is the treme projects (?) across basin street from the french quarter (you natives probably know what i mean) -- those scared the living shit out of me as a kid. i wouldn't want to return either. i don't think it's heartless to say that many people in NOLA have made improvements in their lives since being evacuated. let's face it, new orleans did not hold a lot of opportunity for a lot of people. tourism is not a high-paying industry.

Dec 15, 05 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

also, that money hasn't been approved -- it has merely been requested by president bush. although it's probably a good shot for approval.

Dec 15, 05 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

"No one is asking for the federal government to rebuild their houses or personal property.
But all levves, dams, and other protection systems have always been federally funded."

Lexi -- while I like the calm tone of your posts -- seriously, they sound very level-headed -- I would ask, in reference to your above quote: Considering the long-term insustainability and economic infeasibilty of rebuilding in such a disaster-prone area -- what's the difference? Isn't yours a false distinction? I grew up along the Mississippi where Federally-funded levees ran for miles. I never had any delusions about who funded the town's choice to remain and build new buildings smack on an obvious flood plain.

Dec 16, 05 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
bricabrack

does Mystery Man mean Lafonda?

Dec 16, 05 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

Rim Joist,
These days I been level headed sometimes and not at other times. this is probably the most mentally trying time ever for me.

Driving around today for christmas shopping..... it is so obvious and suspicious.. the parts of town that have lights and the parts that remain totally in the dark. Maybe you are right .. maybe it is infeasable to rebuild in the most heavily floded areas. But it is more complicated in my mind being here.. the lowest lying areas are also the areas that most of the poor black community were. how is it fair that the wealthy get to live while others' lives seem to be dispensable?

I think differently about alot of things now than before the evacuation. It is not fair to always put yourself on a higher level than others. I went to watch King Kong today also (great movie btw) ...I noticed the most savage people are the ones who act the most "civilized"

people should always fight on even and fair ground

Dec 16, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

there is so much subtext to what is really going on... no one is atlking about abandoning lakeview.. and it was really devestated... but some lights are on.

in other areas poorer neighborhoods just as flooded.. there are no lights.. maybe entergy nows that no one there will pay... mabe politicians do not want these areas back..

is it really not feasable to build back the levees to protect these areas.. or do they not want to rebuild because of the type of people who lived there?

Dec 16, 05 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

How much of people's behavior dependant on their surroundings, the atmosphere, and the built environment?
I was at lakeside mall in Metairie this afternoon... I have neer had a good experience in Metairie.. and today is no exception. people are always acting trashy and rude.
I used to think that it was maybe the people.... but the same people are in downtown new orleans, and they do not act the same.
I think that the environment of metairie is such a tense and uncomfortable place that people are always on the edge.
but down town, french quarter, uptown maybe the surroundings are more pleasant and do not lend to bad feelings.

New Orleans is so special ...and it is a large part because of the place and location...

Dec 16, 05 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
oldirty

For all the people that are saying why rebuild in an unsustainable, dangerous location, what happens when it happens again-what will be your response when San Francisco or LA gets battered by a huge earthquake-which will most likely kill a lot more people than Katrina and is also guaranteed to happen again?

Dec 16, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

the entire gulf coast region is at risk of hurricanes each year, from florida to texas. I do not imagine that many people think it is necessary for the entire gulf coast to relocate inland. There are other underlying reasons... I hope it is not dependant on social class

Dec 16, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

a point from earlier conversation-- A, Rim Joist, the $95 billion dollar tax cuts really only affects the wealthiest... very few americans..and architects. Maybe a better point would be that New Orleans should keep it's oil profit 100%. instead of asking for blllions in aid.

I am happy to hear that congress may spend 3.1 billion on our levees now.
But it seems like less than the money new orleans contributes.
the u.s. has again a record trade deficit. 2 billion was from losses in argriculture because of the closure of the port of new orleans due in the last couple months

Dec 16, 05 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

Wow, you are tenacious, Lexi...! By the way, can we save the "tax-breaks for the wealthy" for later?

One thing's for sure, there was never any doubt that Congress would be throwing money toward N.O. -- I read recently that the money federal money spent thus far in N.O. has surpassed the combined total money spent on the last 7 worst natural disasters since 1989. As far as I can surmise, this administration witholds money from no one!

The 3.1 billion you mention would now be added to the 62 billion that has been sent so far -- actually it's probably higher than that -- I just remember hearing that number repeated a while back. Anyway, I'll be conservative and say the total is 65 billion from the Fed to date. One million person were affected the Katrina. That's easy math: that's 65,000 dollars sent thus far for every man, woman, and child. And it's been in the news that the spending is nowhere near finished.

All I'm pointing out is that we can all love Bush, hate Bush, love the wealthy or hate them, or suspect racial/social ulterior motives -- whatever -- but the level of Fed spending occurring in your city is arithmetically impossible to continue.

Dec 17, 05 1:42 am  · 
 · 
e

well, three months later bush is finally getting around to visiting N.O. again. bush's chief of staff states that he had to manage bush's expectations and wanted to prepare him for the lingering destruction.

his spokesman, trent duffy, also said ''the destruction down there looks like it just happened yesterday.''

upon bush arriving he stated "from when I first came here to today, new orleans is reminding me of the city I used to visit.''

is he serious?

Jan 12, 06 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

go on do what you did
roll me under new madrid
shake my baby and please
bring her back

Jan 12, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
e909
I agree with A in that very little remains in the American mindset in the way of self-reliance.

yeah, even ted kaczynski didn't manufacture his own batteries

Jan 15, 06 5:28 am  · 
 · 
lexi

I think it's the New Year and everyone here in New Orleans is being optimistic... talking about rebuilding, and master plans, and the future of new orleans, fighting for their own property rights, wanting to rebuild their homes.. tourists and students are back so the mood is very upbeat in the french quarter.

But I think that in the next 6 months it may really start to sink in that that it will never be the same....and alot of people will become very depressed.

Jan 16, 06 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
White T. Rash

i once went to new orleans and saw me some big titties and a man wearn a dress!

Jan 16, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: