Archinect
anchor

Thom Mayne on Charlie Rose

A Center for Ants?

*anti-per bump*

Dec 7, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
mercer

I don't know if anyone who saw the Mayne/Rose interview remembers this, but..... What was the name of the evolutionary biologist that Mayne went to see a lecture by in Vienna?

Sounds like a question they asked in high school to see if you were paying attention during the film, huh?

I've tried looking online but haven't had any luck finding anything...
I've only found that I can purchase the interview for $40 which I don't really want to do.

Mayne said he recently read this guys recently published book and I want to find it.....

Thanks for any help.

Dec 7, 05 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
dcarney16

Mercer,

The biologist Mayne mentioned is Nobel laureate Christian De Duve. He's got a bunch of books available from Amazon.

Dec 7, 05 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Hmm... maybe some architects are *afraid* to talk about style... but then maybe some architects don't talk about style because they don't *design by style*... If you aren't thinking style when you design, but rather engaging a process, if style is a biproduct of process, or even if style results from intuitive gut reactions that fight against and/or inform mental process, is style really what makes the architecture?

Talking about style seems to imply that we are designing by immitation rather than through some process or logic/intuition that generates the design... In other words, if somebody were to do a "morphosis-like" form in their building, is it the same as a morphosis building, generated through reactions to forces, testing, craft, etc...? Isn't the intent/effect what defines the architecture?

Dec 8, 05 3:03 am  · 
 · 
bRink

I think the difference is: talking about style creates adjective categories... talking about process creates verb categories...

Dec 8, 05 3:08 am  · 
 · 

"Talking about style seems to imply that we are designing by imitation..." -- this is exactly what I mean by "style in architecture has been so debased by Modernism's reaction to eclecticism that architects now don't even know how to talk about it."

Designing via "intuitive gut reactions that fight against and/or inform mental process" is a style.

Dec 8, 05 8:27 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dec 8, 05 11:14 am  · 
 · 
mercer

thank you dcarney16 !!

Dec 8, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 

get the (almost) full picture...

Dec 8, 05 11:36 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks rita!

Dec 8, 05 11:41 am  · 
 · 

2002.09.22:
On 19 November 2001 I wrote (and promised):

I too go to Temple's campus quite often, and thus I am also aware of what types of student's works are produced there. In fact, I was at the
architecture building today, using the library. There is an exhibit there
now, which, when I first walked in, I thought was a student exhibit. Then I soon enough found out the exhibit was of recent work by MORPHOSIS. It wasn't that the work was unprofessional and thus looked like student work, rather more that many students today are doing projects that emulate MORPHOSIS. Anyway, I'm going to go back to the exhibit to take lots of digital images. Then I'm going to put together an online version of the exhibit.

"And now for something completely hyper-different."

Yesterday I finally got around to compiling and uploading MORPHOSIS EXHIBIT REDUX starting at www.quondam.com/xx/xxxx.htm with 30 more images that follow.

This is not your 'standard' online display in that it further exhibits the ease of digitally artful arbitrariness, the easy otherness of virtual curating, and an insurance against copyright infringement liability via the critique/parody clause.

Stephen Lauf
quondam: some incompletely architectural museum

ps
You should hear the husband and wife fight going on in the kitchen across the back driveway. I just heard some dishes crashing, but it's eerily quiet now. Still, nothing compares to the indoor/outdoor fights a young Puerto Rican couple used to have when they lived several houses up almost 10 years ago. That was street theater of an ultra-blue air.

Look for a redux of MORPHOSIS EXHIBIT REDUX appearing soon at an always virtually incomplete museum of architecture near you.

Dec 8, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i saw a profile on match.com and one of the woman's photos was taken with thom mayne. i supposed i'd impress her with my knowledge of the geek she's standing next too. maybe she's reading this right now. hello pretty lady!!

Dec 8, 05 11:52 am  · 
 · 
ether

match is so yesterday. adultfinder, now that's hip.

Dec 8, 05 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah thats how i met your girlfriend...

Dec 8, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: