Archinect
anchor

M.Arch at Yale or UVa?

ck722

I was just accepted off of the waitlist at Yale University. Prior to the offer, I was prepared to attend University of Virginia. 

Which school should I pick?? Yale or UVa?

I attended the admitted students day at UVa and fell in love with pretty much every aspect of the program and community. I was able to get a comprehensive view and it felt "right". The environment seemed very collaborative, supportive, and healthy- I could see myself being very happy there. I got a quick tour of Yale SoA and I was not apposed to anything about it but I didn't have the same "right" feeling. At the time I was still waitlisted and didn't have the opportunity to get the same comprehensive view I had at UVa (plus it was also a very grey cold day). I am hoping to visit again before making my decision and spend more time with students to see if I feel the same healthy/happy environment I experienced at UVa. 

I don't know if I would prefer living in New Haven or Charlottesville. I am from the northeast and I picture myself in DC, NYC, or Boston in the future after graduation. I also plan to work at a firm and not to enter a profession in academia. My interest lie in environmental/sustainable design, accessibility, and fabrication. 

Ultimately, both programs and curriculums suit my interests extremely well. UVa would cost me around 80k total and Yale has not sent me aid yet but tuition will likely cost around 190k+ total. Is it worth the extra money? Are students at Yale SoA generally happy? My gut is telling me UVa but my mind says that I got into Yale and I'd be crazy to pass up the opportunity to attend. 

Apr 15, 24 12:07 am
Non Sequitur

190k?  are you fucking crazy?  No arch degree is worth anywhere near that kind of coin.  Pick the cheapest accredited degree and stop looking at this as an investment... shit, even 80k is too much.

Apr 15, 24 12:58 am  · 
2  · 
lacalr

Agreed, unless Yale SoA financial aid can get you close to UVa I think the cheaper option seems better. As far as I know UVa is still a very well known school with a large alumni network and high degree of students. Coming from someone who is still making monthly payments on their loans, financial burden post graduation should not be overlooked.  

Apr 15, 24 10:08 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

go with your gut. you're in the lucky position where your gut instinct is aligned with common sense.

Apr 15, 24 10:09 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

If you plan to be a non-academic working architect, paying more for Yale isn't worth it.  If your follow-up visit to Yale makes you feel good about the school and financial aid equal or more to UVA is offered up, only then I would say consider Yale.

Apr 15, 24 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
bad_hombre

I went to Yale. Yeah, it was great. But for $190k? There are funner and less drawn-out ways to ruin the rest of your life. You’re going to be an indentured servant to your masters degree.

Even $80k seems steep for an M. Arch. Do the math on your expected salary versus the expected repayment—it’ll be a healthy reality check.

I wouldn’t factor the town into my choice either. You’re gonna live there a grand total of three years and be doing non-school stuff maybe 25% of the time. In the grand scheme of your life, that’s no time at all. 

Apr 19, 24 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Chronograph

Did you pay 190k/more for Yale? Wondering if you saying there are better ways to ruin the rest of your life is from your experience or separate accounts.

Apr 21, 24 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Go with your gut - if UVA feels right go for it. As far as wanting to be on the East Coast, you're good with both alumni networks there. 

Apr 21, 24 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: