Archinect
anchor

UT Austin or Penn

BarneyB

hi all, I’m down to two schools for M.Arch and have just a couple of days left to decide. I have merit scholarships at both, making them both affordable and about the same cost. 

I am leaning toward UT because of the work they are doing, they have a strong program,  I have been to Austin and think it would be a great place to spend a few years and just because… I for whatever reason like the idea of UT. 

However, I recognize Penn is one of the top-ranked programs in the world and I am concerned not choosing it would be a mistake. Would it?! I know they are well-known for helping students end up with very impressive portfolios and they have a wide alumni network. Additionally, People keep talking about it being an Ivy and prestige and I get that but.. I don’t really care about that. I do care about my future career trajectory though. 

I would probably like to end up in Chicago long-term (though not certain) so one doesn’t have a location advantage over the other there 

Would I walking past a great opportunity by choosing UT over Penn? 

Thank you for your input! 

Apr 11, 24 11:30 pm
reallynotmyname

Have you studied what your housing and transit situations would be in Austin vs. Philly?  They are very different cities.

Apr 12, 24 10:39 am  · 
 · 
BarneyB

I am

Apr 13, 24 4:05 am  · 
1  · 
lacalr

Are there specific studios offered at either of the institutions that you really want to take? Are either of the class sizes more reflective of the experience you want? I think it is also a big decision on where you want to spend the next two years of your life, apart from the architecture aspect of it. Although you may not end up in either of these places, quality of life during these two years is still something to consider.

Apr 12, 24 12:35 pm  · 
2  · 

If you want to end up in Chicago, you'll be fine with either. I'm not sure UT-Austin has an alumni group up here, but I know several Penn alumni here in Chicago. Basically which program do you like best/do you want to live in a state that is stripping away rights.

Apr 12, 24 1:23 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

TEXAS, the arm the fetuses state! Certainly that's something to be proud of! eye roll...

Apr 12, 24 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

To be fair, left-leaning politics are dominant in Austin and probably on the UT campus. But it is undeniable that a hard-right cohort is currently running the state government.

Apr 12, 24 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Agreed, OP are you ok with becoming a parent in grad school?

Apr 12, 24 2:35 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

go with your gut instinct on this - there is no extraordinary advantage to penn. it's always a mistake to follow prestige over what just feels right to you. neither one will give you a golden ticket to success - but either one will give you an adequate combination of education and network.

Apr 12, 24 8:36 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: