Archinect
anchor

M.Arch @ UT Austin, A&M or UofHouston?

eddiewouldgo

I am an accomplished luxury homebuilder seeking to make a more meaningful and responsible contribution in my second act. I have been accepted into 3 different grad programs in Texas. I'm currently based in NW Houston and have a family commitments that disallow a full relocation at this time. A&M and UH are both within commuting distance. Going to UT Austin would be the equivalent of traveling for work, but is worth doing for the right program. I just need to be convinced that it is.  I want the strongest design/theory based experience, but also one that is committed to diversity and social responsibility.

Help me understand the learning culture and tools available at each program. I really appreciate any insight and thoughts you have to offer. Thank you in advance!

Mar 25, 24 4:15 pm
Non Sequitur

take the cheapest option. 

Mar 25, 24 5:20 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

What do you plan to do with your arch degree?

My gut says UH is probably the best fit for your situation and background.  It's a commuter school and I think your practical industry background will be welcomed there.  

As a homebuilder you probably know building construction better than most of the design professors out there and I'm not sure that would be cool at UT.   UT does have prestige as a "public ivy" and I know some pretty solid people who have come through their undergrad program.

I know nothing about the program at A&M these days.

Mar 25, 24 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Since you are in close proximity to the three choices, you would do well to visit each of the three campuses.  Should be a good time as students will be well underway with their spring semester projects.  No better way to ascertain the culture and available tools than to see the schools in person.

Mar 25, 24 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

Go to UT, its the best bang for your buck education in the country. You won't regret it.

Mar 25, 24 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: