Archinect
anchor

What to see in Chicago in 3 hours

JLC-1

I've never been to Chicago and I need to go sign some papers at my consulate, arriving late and leaving after lunch, anything worth visiting or seeing in the 3 hours I have to spare?

Mar 15, 24 3:38 pm
Wilma Buttfit

Merchandise Mart, Chicago Board of Trade, Michigan Ave, Wacker Drive, Lake Michigan, Navy Pier, Monodnock Building, the bean, John Hancock Tower. 

Mar 15, 24 11:22 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

And the Corn cob towers. Not sure what they are actually called but that’s what they look like.

Mar 15, 24 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got more. Get an Italian beef sandwich from Portillo’s.

Mar 15, 24 11:34 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Marina City.

Mar 16, 24 5:16 am  · 
2  · 
pandahut

Monadnock building

Chicago Riverwalk

Walk around the outside of the art museum or that stretch of Michigan Ave.

Honestly just wander around the loop there are plenty of things to see

Mar 16, 24 1:08 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Plenty to see in the loop. For maximum enjoyment maybe recap on the Chicago School before going. Here's a route that starts and finishes at your embassy.

Mar 16, 24 5:25 am  · 
5  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Is that a big circle around Target?

Mar 17, 24 1:21 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

It's the Historic Carson Pririe Scott Department store with most of the detailing preserved. So, yes, it is.

Gensler is upstairs as well as the School of the Art Institute who has parts of the building, but the Target is cool because it makes the ground floor space public.

Mar 17, 24 7:39 am  · 
1  · 

The Goth Target!!

archanonymous this is an excellent map!

Mar 19, 24 8:06 am  · 
2  · 
joseffischer

TIL, thank you, made my day, goth target!

Mar 19, 24 8:33 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Can eat at the Dearborn. They like architects. :)

Mar 17, 24 1:22 am  · 
1  · 
ill_will

Surprised nobody mentioned the Renzo Piano addition to the Art institute... Monadnock is a good one too. Top floor of the Harold Washington Library is pretty nice. I say Millennium Park is pretty cool but it might be cold so if you want to explore a cool building in the loop... is has a bookstore called Exile in Bookville or something like that (google maps it? It's on Mich Ave) but the rest of the building is/used to be a center for the arts and you can check out all the floors. Also on Mich Ave are some bougie restaurants, but also a shake shack on the ground floor of this one building which if you go upstairs there's this "secret" lounge and bar (quite cozy). 

Sorry for rambling, hope this helps somewhat

Mar 19, 24 12:39 pm  · 
2  · 

I love Exile in Bookville. So quirky. I’ve shopped there a lot.

Mar 21, 24 8:19 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Probably beyond the scope of a brief tour, but if you are in Chicago and want to walk around a nice neighborhood with an amazing collection of historic homes, consider wandering around Riverside for an afternoon. Architectural history programs at the local universities often take class tours there. There's one street where the houses form up a chronological history of several decades of Chicago architecture trends in a single row.

Riverside is also Olmstead's first planned community.

Mar 19, 24 12:54 pm  · 
2  · 
gwharton

(I spent a significant portion of my childhood there, which is how I know this)

Mar 19, 24 12:55 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

Finally made it here, only the loop for now, certainly a city to come back. It has the quality of seaside cities, at least the part I saw.

Apr 19, 24 10:27 am  · 
1  · 
ill_will

Enjoy your time here!

Apr 19, 24 10:40 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

Then this came to haunt me from the past

Apr 19, 24 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Apr 19, 24 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: