Archinect
anchor

Jose Oubrerie

smaarch

I received a call over the weekend from a dear friend at the University of Kentucky that Jose' had died. I am personally shattered.
Professionally - I am completely unsure how to present this and it is unsettling to me.
Long story short - I was invited to KY by Jose' to work with him again. I accepted.
I am the Architect who developed and produced the Miller House In Lexington as well as several other projects.
Jose' you sent ripples into the pool and forever changed my life.
Love and Peace to you.
Shit you weren't the easiest person.......
But I'm going to miss you.
Steven M. Asaro, Architect.

https://www.archpaper.com/2024...

Mar 13, 24 1:23 am

Sorry to hear about this.  

Mar 13, 24 10:49 am  · 
1  · 
smaarch

Thank you Chad.

Mar 16, 24 12:36 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

We're so sorry. He made an impact on many - those that knew him personally and also those who were inspired by his work. We reported on his passing in the news. Make sure to read the interview we published a decade ago, conducted by Orhan Ayyüce:

José Oubrerie. Photo credit: Orhan Ayyüce.

From the news: Le Corbusier protégé and longtime Knowlton School professor José Oubrerie dies aged 91

Feature from 2014: Interview: José Oubrerie

Mar 13, 24 11:38 am  · 
1  · 
smaarch

Thank you Archinect. I read the review some years ago. I recall a critical aspect missing - not a criticism of the interview - just something you cannot know without being part of the studio. It was a special environment of exploration and debate about the validity of ideas - much in the way Corb's studio worked according to my understanding and a a recent read of an interview of Tave's. I appreciate your acknowledgement Archinet. Regards

Mar 16, 24 12:52 am  · 
2  · 
smaarch

Thank you Archinect.

Mar 15, 24 3:34 am  · 
1  · 
smaarch

I remember at the beginning of the Miller House construction, i asked the contractor (Roger) to bury my camera tripod in concrete. I mounted an 8mm film camera to it and every day I would click off frames. This reel of film is sitting here and it was developed. I need to convert it to digital,

What can i say? I wasn't consistent and it is really short.
I'll deal with it soon.
This was an epic work
And I'm going to miss you Jose.
I already do.....

May be an image of sliding door

Mar 17, 24 4:10 am  · 
2  · 

The Miller House is my favorite house as a piece of architecture, with Saarinen’s Miller House being a close second, but the  idiosyncrasy of Oubrerie’s really wins me over. It’s like walking inside a hug, but also intellectually stimulating. Absolutely gorgeous, a true master work. 

Mar 19, 24 7:49 am  · 
1  · 
smaarch

Donna this house has everything and nothing to do with Saarinen's. Hope that makes some sense.

Mar 23, 24 2:16 am  · 
 · 
smaarch

If you are referring to the idiosyncrasy as the fussy details....I can only laugh. That is me. I have never claimed authorship of this project (unlike some others) but I am very clear about this work. It simply would not be what it is - without me. The fussiness and the reveals...... I'm older now and I don't do that.  Well sort of - I'm much more interested in raw truth. Thank you.

Mar 23, 24 2:45 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

There is also a Miller House in Columbus, Indiana, The gardens are being prepared for a spring opening March 21-24. This house was designed by Eero Saarinen. (I get my Kentuckys and Indianas mixed up)

Mar 19, 24 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Mar 19, 24 8:19 am  · 
 · 

for those who want the GA Houses issue that has the Oubrerie Miller House, it's still available from the GA website:

https://www.ga-ada.co.jp/english/ga_houses/gah035.html

Mar 22, 24 1:14 pm  · 
1  · 
smaarch

There are 2 issues - one when we were still working on it and a 2nd when it was finished. The 2nd issue is more interesting and...hold on a second, I'll pull it off of my shelf - it is GA Houses #35. The 1st is GA Houses #28

Mar 23, 24 2:19 am  · 
 · 

I should pull together a full retrospective.
But I have not the time or patience for this. Here's an image during the construction. It always felt like an ancient ruin to me - raising out of the ground.

Mar 23, 24 2:29 am  · 
1  · 

I don't know what any of your experiences are - I know mine.
About the only thing I will say is: cast your dreams.
They very well may happen.

Mar 23, 24 2:36 am  · 
 · 

I concur with everyone else. I also send my condolences to everyone who knew him. An instructor of mine was a fan of Le Corbu and also Louis Kahn. I have an appreciation of the architecture of all of them. I haven't had much knowledge of Jose's work but will be interested in learning as much as I can about it.

Mar 23, 24 6:39 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: