Archinect
anchor

Cooper Union M. Arch VS Cornell M.S.AAD

Felix006

Hello everyone, since most results are out now; I find myself in a bit of a dilemma here. Deciding between Cooper Union's M. Arch (post-professional degree, 3 semesters, 8K scholarship per semester ) and Cornell's M.S.AAD (3 semesters as well, 8.8k scholarship per semester + graduate teaching position)

A little about myself:  B. Arch (5 year program) from U.S. east coast school, opt 3 years at a really good technical firm. 

I kinda lean towards Cooper(PROs): Because it is located in the heart of NYC; and I have always wanted to live New York City; and after visiting and talking to some of the professors; it seems like they are very much focused on student's individual pursuit, with lots of freedom (which I love).  Very small class size (M. Arch graduating class probably like 10), not sure if this is a good thing. (CONs) the downside is that student can't choose studio; seems like professors who are currently teaching there have been at the school for a long time and have established certain pedagogies; (it make sense with such a small student body) 2nd, base on previous student's work; it seems like anything goes in the studio, they are constantly redefining the boundary of the architecture discipline. Let's say it's a bit adventurous for me, in a way. Last, Cooper Union is great, but its name goes as far as New York. not sure if it's a factor for future career movements.

Cornell has a very robust system, big department; many electives courses; similar to GSD perhaps. It's cliche to say it, but the name does go a bit further for future career movement. A logistic downside is that this year Cornell's MSAAD starts in NYC during summer and continues with 2 more semesters in Ithaca. And man, Ithaca is really in the middle of nowhere. 

Would love to hear some takes from those who have attended either of the programs, thanks. 

Mar 5, 24 12:43 am
Non Sequitur

Take the least expensive option and consider living expenses. 

Mar 5, 24 8:02 am  · 
 · 
Zacro

Do due diligence and consider the school's outlook in the industry, curriculum, faculty, peers, alumni community after college, and cross-collaboration with other courses in the university. See what works for you and go with what feels right. If I were you (assuming both colleges cost the same), I would be more inclined to go with Cornell.

Mar 5, 24 8:33 am  · 
 · 
Felix006

Thanks. 

Mar 5, 24 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
The_Crow

Cornell hands down. I've worked in NYC for many years and with many architects from both programs. Cornell produces some of the best graduates in the country. Diligant, thoughtful designers, that bring reason behind their design work. Cooper Union is more like the Sci-Arc of the East Coast... all of the designers I've worked with from there have been out of the box thinkers that are more interested in a wacky concept than a building. 

Mar 5, 24 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Felix006

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I get it. 

I mean, Cornell's undergraduate architecture program is great; it was my dream school when I was high school applying; even had an on campus interview back in the day

Mar 5, 24 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Felix006

but wacky is kinda a strong word; perhaps Cooper is really good at nourish artists who imagines

Mar 6, 24 1:41 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Cornell all day long.  There's a well-trod path between Cornell and jobs in the city that OP do can during summer breaks and after graduation.  

A stint working in NYC is de rigueur for pedigreed architects in the US and the OP is on the right track by recognizing that.

Mar 6, 24 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sane4ka

Cornell's M.S.AND program seems like the clear winner here, especially if you're eyeing opportunities in NYC. The connections and experiences you can gain there can really set you up for success in the city.

Mar 20, 24 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Architecturally it doesn't matter, unless you want to be a professor. Go to the school that will most expand your business network in other industries so you can win projects.

Mar 20, 24 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Immigrant Developer

IF you have a B.ARCH then whats the point of M.ARCH, youre still going to be a junior designer with less than 80k salary until you hit 5+ year work experince. You will gain some more studio experience under your belt. If money isnt that important than go for cornell(150k+ 3 semester education) for the teaching position.

Mar 20, 24 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

About 40% less AXP hours before you can take your licensing exams? The ability to become a professor? Not sure if that's worth $150k.   Your 5+ year timeframe is a bit off though.  By the time I had three years experience I was lead designer at the first firm I worked for and had more than doubled my starting salary.  

Mar 20, 24 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: