Archinect
anchor

So struggle: RISD or Pratt (Illustration Major)

dallastat

My daughter applied for 10 schools and all got admission and 9 got partial merit-based scholarships. 

RISD, Pratt, SVA, MICA,SAIC,SCAD,...

Now we decide to make a choice between RISD and Pratt. Pratt give $27k merit-based scholarship each year and no scholarship for RISD.

But overall ranking RISD is always number 1 and its reputation is great in the US and the world. Pratt is also a great college. But what about illustration major difference between these two schools?

It is so hard to make decision, anybody has any thoughts? 

I appreciate.

Mar 13, 21 10:39 am
Non Sequitur

take the cheapest option.

Mar 13, 21 10:49 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

illustration is a completely different field from architecture, not sure anyone here can say much useful about the schools vv illustration majors.

Mar 13, 21 6:56 pm  · 
1  · 
square.

risd's illustration program is one of the best.. lots of well known artists have graduated from there, and the rank means something in this case.

however, for 4 years w/o any scholarship, the debt burden will be insane. on money alone, i would choose pratt.

you might also want to try approaching risd with the offer from pratt- you never know if they will match.

Mar 15, 21 9:38 am  · 
1  · 

Don't forget to consider the cost of living. Providence is a really nice town, and far cheaper than New York City. $27,000 divided by 4-years is $562 per month... it may cost much more than $562 per month in rent for NYC vs Providence. I understand the lure of young people wanting to live in major cities during college, but I believe those cities can also distract a student from the opportunities and limited time on campus.

Mar 15, 21 10:38 am  · 
1  · 
square.

this is a good point, might outweigh the cheaper tuition at pratt, for sure.

Mar 15, 21 11:11 am  · 
 · 
draicamle

As a pratt arch alumni I would personally recommend not to come to Pratt if you have RISD as an option. Housing in NYC is not cheap. So is the Pratt tuition.  (maybe visit both schools first and decide). I have never been to RISD, but I personally consider it as a better environment for artists to grow. 

The art programs at Pratt feels really unstructured to me but again I'm in arch so I don't know much, maybe I'm biased.

Personally I think it's really important for artists to pick the right program. If finance is not a major concern (I'm assuming it's not for you since you are already considering all these expensive art schools), I would go to the best one. 

Mar 18, 21 9:12 pm  · 
1  · 

The RISD illustration program is tops.

The department has a new (4 year old) building and is one of the most - if not the most - highly respected programs in the country. As has been pointed out Providence is a considerably less expensive place to live. It is also a college town whereas Brooklyn is NYC.

RISD is more intimate with a smaller student population (2,500, about half of Pratt's) and it has and a much higher retention rate. Both take security seriously, but Pratt seemed like an armed camp in comparison to RISD.

Illustration is the most 'open' department, meaning there is more access to other programs of study. My daughter (RISD Illustration 2017) made toys and did jewelry and metalsmithing among many other things. She too was accepted at Pratt, The Art Institute of Chicago, etc. - RISD was her top choice. Many of her classmates have gone on to fabulous jobs at prestigious companies. She headed in a another direction and is pursuing jewelry - the result of the wide exposure to different experiences she was able to get at RISD.

Full disclosure: as a RISD alumni (Industrial Design, 1980) I groomed her for it from the minute she could hold a crayon.

If money is not an issue there is no question. If money is an issue do your due diligence on NYC cost of living before making a choice.

Mar 18, 21 11:04 pm  · 
1  · 
Jenspence

as a RISD grad (91,Apparel), my ed experience was amazing, i felt prepared for the industry, and I don't regret ny choice in schools. As an alumni I well-connected to other alumni from my year, the experience is uneven in that many people didn't feel that they received sufficient if any training in the business of their chosen major to prep them for post grad. Other grads I've spoken to from other art schools have had similar complaints. And the pay as a beginning creative professional will not kill that tuition debt quickly. As an art teacher, I recommend to my students:, go to the school that gives you the most money to attend it and leaves you the least in debt. Your success in life equates to your ability to creatively problem solve and your drive to succeed , in the end the art school you attend is a smaller part of the entire life equation.

Apr 30, 24 3:58 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: