Archinect
anchor

The Middle East is Turning Over,

St. George's Fields

Actually, Persian was officially known as Persia until the Sassanid Empire in 224. I'm only 1787 years off. However, Persia was widely used until 1935 when the Shah asked the world to stop referring to it as Persia. That changed, however, in 1956 when Shah Pahlavi decreed that Iran could be referred to as either Iran or Persia.

If you want to make an argument about using non-generalized names of countries... Iran should always be referred to as Islamic Republic of Iran just like China is the People's Republic of China.

Technically, China is a Persian word for the area. And China, natively, is known as Zhongguo.

Feb 21, 11 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
dia

This is why tammuz is good - he/she can tell us something that we couldnt have just copied and pasted from wikipedia

Feb 21, 11 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

I didn't copy and past this from Wikipedia.

I unfortunately have a degree in European and Near Eastern history.

Feb 21, 11 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Mulholland Drive

Just a hunch on my part, but I believe US intelligence is behind all of this...without a doubt.

It took a few years to get the opposition organized, but after the Arab countries sought to punish the US war efforts with soaring oil prices, the CIA went in to action and started laying the seeds for regime change throughout the Middle East. Libya is now set to fall...but the real change will come when the regimes of Syria, Iran, and Saudi Arabia collapses as well.

Feb 21, 11 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

"We can starve them out. Why do you think the EU dumps so much money into Turkey? Dam the Tigris and the Euphrates and all our problems go away."

you studied near eastern and european history and have a degree? your regional knowledge and analysis of the situation is worthy of a conversation in a neighborhood bar man... c'mon.

Feb 21, 11 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I am proud of Libya people. So many corrupted countries in oil rich region. Didn't realize it until now.

How about Saudi arabia and dubai?

Feb 22, 11 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

"Just a hunch on my part, but I believe US intelligence is behind all of this...without a doubt.
"

I highly suspect that US is behind all these Mideastern turmoil.

Mar 7, 11 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

If Saudi Arabia were to have any problems we'd have some pretty big problems here. So far, nothing has impacted the US (financially).

Seems like things are stabilizing, though.

Mar 7, 11 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
sectionalhealing
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110329/ts_yblog_thelookout/until-uprising-gadhafis-son-was-on-u-s-internship

So Ghadafi's son was an intern at AECOM, then quit and led a civilian massacre?

Did anyone here work with him? How are his design skills? :P

Mar 29, 11 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

it's too bad that relatively cultured, educated guys like these would do this. they know better.

Mar 30, 11 9:42 am  · 
 · 
jbushkey

The apple does not fall far from the tree.

Mar 30, 11 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
2step

The reason we are in Iraq is to plant the seeds of democracy so they flourish there and spread to the entire region of authoritarianism.’ - George W. Bush

Hmmm. I think you all owe the man an apology. That is if you can take time away from burning effigies of Obama for going into Libya without a resolution from congress.

Mar 30, 11 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

@2step - correlation does not imply causation.
what leads you to think that?

Mar 30, 11 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
2step

It was the previous administration that for the first time in modern history believed in Middle Eastern Democracy and spent blood and treasure to the tune of $1 trillion to see it happen while the "intellectual" echo chamber demonized the idea and the plan. Do you think the United States would spend this much money on a single country? Do you not think that rebellions are emboldened by the mere presence of US military cover in the region? Do you not see the strategic location of Iraq as being nearly dead center to the region and a power base emanating from the ancient capital of Babylon? Of course it's related.

"Painful as it may be to admit, it was the despised former U.S. President George W. Bush who believed in the democratization of the Muslim world and incurred the scorn and mockery of the Left for his conviction"

Der Spiegel http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,743994,00.html

Mar 30, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
"It was the previous administration that for the first time in modern history believed in Middle Eastern Democracy and spent blood and treasure to the tune of $1 trillion to see it happen while the "intellectual" echo chamber demonized the idea and the plan."

You're trolling right?

The hawks went in there under disguise of finding weapons of mass destruction that were immediate threat to US.

In reality, the plan was drafted out in early '90 by Paul Wolfowitz. When Saddam threatened to move the oil trade from dollar to Euro, it was time to move in.

Stop rewriting the fucking history in a way that's convenient to you.

Mar 30, 11 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
2step

The history is.

Mar 30, 11 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

"spent blood and treasure"

i absolutely, positively DESPISE that saying........ oh my god i hate it...

that is all i have to say

Mar 30, 11 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

@2step - i think you'll find the current political turmoil has more to do with two other factors besides bush's
1. the global recession and basic needs of already impoverished populations, ironically a by-product of republican corporate and privatization policies (chicago school anyone?) put forth as early as the 60's and reinforced by the world bank.
2. the interwebs and particularly social media.

Mar 30, 11 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

Actually, the protest in Egypt was started by anonymous and 4chan.

Even Al-Jazaeera will confirm that.

Yes, people have toppled governments because of internet trolling.

Mar 30, 11 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Twitter has toppled multiple governments. Keep believing that. It does have that feel good quality bullets and blood and men in black coats at night can never replace. A spark may start a fire, but the fuel must be placed there for that to happen.

Mar 30, 11 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

It's also much easier to start a revolution when most of your country's population is in a handful of cities with population densities close to or exceeding 20,000 people per square mile.

It's almost impossible for any government to exert non-lethal force over populations that size.

Pedestrian-based urbanism is all the fuel you need to hold a government hostage.

Mar 30, 11 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Paradox

"Painful as it may be to admit, it was the despised former U.S. President George W. Bush who believed in the democratization of the Muslim world and incurred the scorn and mockery of the Left for his conviction"

Dear US, please do the world a favor and stop bringing democracy into other countries. The US backed "moderate Islamic" (as described by Bush) party who supposedly tries to practice "advanced democracy" is about to turn once secular Turkey into a country ruled by sharia.

There is a joke going around..they say "don't mess with the US or they will bring democracy to your country too".

Mar 30, 11 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

@2step - your response was dismissive and didn't address the issues.
i'm done.

Mar 30, 11 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
2step

Well maybe Im not as smart as you Gene, but I can be more correct than you. If you dont want to play go home with your toys. Dismissive? Right. You all spent 8 years marching and protesting and destroying the moral of the country and now you cant face the fact you where wrong. It appears the seeds of democracy have indeed sprung. A president wouldn't say, "spread to the entire region of authoritarianism" unless he meant, spreading the movement.

Mar 30, 11 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
St. George's Fields

According to Jacques Chirac, the reason Bush spent $1 trillion dollars on invading Iraq was to bring the second coming of the Messiah a la Gog and Magog.

Mar 30, 11 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

When you can be a coward and not even bother to show up for reserve duty in Texas it makes it easy to spend other people's blood.

Mar 30, 11 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
jbushkey

2step since you know it all please enlighten us about Haliburton overcharging the government by millions and not feeding our soldiers, ex CEO/ex VP Dick Cheney and why this wasn't war profiteering.

Don't bother bashing Obama like the right always does when you point out that W failed just like everything he ever tried. I have almost nothing good to say about Barak and I did not vote for him.

Mar 30, 11 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: