Archinect
anchor

firms that use Rhino

benny

Does anyone know what firms primarily use Rhino? thanks!

May 25, 04 2:46 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

some years back when many had not even yet hears of Rhinocerous, I know that Gehry's office was using it already. I know people that worked there before, and work there now, that say that it was one of the first offices to utilize it.

in the last year or so, I actually visited Will Alsops office in London and they (some) there are using the program. So nowadays, it's very hard to pin-point who exactly is utilizing it, but my guess is there are plenty of offices. I say look primarily at the ones doing more custom work.

my $.02 cents

May 25, 04 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

oops.....mistake...meant to say HEARD

May 25, 04 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

They use Rhino at Zaha Hadid's, along with 3DS max. I'm told the latest version of Rhino can now be embeded within the Max interface, can anybody confirm?

May 25, 04 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

really? yes...someone please confirm. If so, its a great fusion of programs

May 25, 04 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
vagabond

They do at Coop Him.

May 25, 04 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
ARKITECT69

HERNAN ALONZO DIAZ uses Rhino in his office.

May 25, 04 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

I am pretty sure that Rhino can be embeded into Max interface. Check the website. They have a forum where reps and other users answer questions: www.3drhino.com
Can also download free eval version of rhino(only has 30 saves)-or get the cracked version from LimeWire.

May 25, 04 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

Wondering if Rhino has improved.
All the ID kids at my school still had sworn allegiance to Alias and us archi-dorks were picking up maya. I asked about Rhino a few times and most of the ID students who had used it while interning liked Alias much more, said Rhino was second rate. This still true?

May 25, 04 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
poo

Rhino 3.0 is a very useful program with fewer bugs and annoyances than before. Navigation is very fluid and easy to use. It is not as powerful as Alias, but how often do you need your building to sprout wings, bounce down a hill, and shit explosions? I think it is some kind of status thing to say that they use Alias. Kind of like a designers' penis-measuring contest.

May 25, 04 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Now that you've said that, I want nothing more than for my building to sprout wings, bounce down a hill and shit explosions. Might even salvage the remainder of this hellish day.

May 25, 04 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

I dont use Rhino but i surely intend to learn it sooner than later. i've seen some of the guys at Zaha's using it and frankly it's pretty awesome. from what i'm told by people around me who use it is, it is definitely the best NURBS modeling progam available on the market, it is cheap and reliable, although its rendering capabilties are pretty lame compared to other programs like Max/Maya etc... but rhino files seem to be extremely transfer-friendly with other applications so that solves the problem.

May 25, 04 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

regarding my previous post about integrating rhino directly into the Max interface, i checked the rhino website and i found no trace of that, so i guess the guys at work who told me about that was just talking crap...

May 25, 04 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
bd

H&deM and renzo piano also use it

May 25, 04 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

i think rhino is pretty badass. it's the best of form z and cad brought together. it was pretty easy to pick up, especially if you already know form z.the files are very transfer friendly. for rendering i've used flamingo and it was ok. i tried rendering with penguin(? it was some other bird name, sorry).

May 25, 04 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

They use Rhino at Eisenman's office

I got 2 Questions, Can you render in Rhino and whats the difference between Rhino and Form-Z?

May 25, 04 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

It's Penguin, but I never found it very useful.

May 25, 04 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

you can render in rhino, but yes it sucks. Rhino creates better surfaces than Form Z, has cool options for putting photos/textures onto surfaces, overall MUCH better than form z. when you download rhino from the website you can also download more commands than the eval version has.

May 25, 04 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
raul

i know foregin office architects use Rhino...
http://www.f-o-a.net/flash/index.html

What is the best way to learn Rhino? does anyone know of a website with tutorials or any good book out there?

May 25, 04 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
benny

thanks for the responses!

as for learning Rhino, if you already know autocad and form-z or maya, it 's really easy to pick up. the commands are very similar to autocad but more intuitive so after working in rhino, everything else seems clunky and annoying, at least that's been my experience.

May 25, 04 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

So rendering in Rhino is better than Form-Z, but it still sucks? I do all of my rendering in Form-Z and that's good enough for me, so maybe I'll have to look into Rhino...

May 25, 04 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

hani rashid's firm asymptote(spelling?)
gregg lynn (am pretty sure)

May 25, 04 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
poo

I love Rhino like a long lost brother, but rendering in it really sucks. You have to have the Flamingo plug-in, and then it is ok. You can get some good stuff out of it if you really know what you are doing, which I don't. http://rhino3d.com/gallery/id/

May 25, 04 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
jetcetera

We use Rhino for complex forms side by side w/ACAD + Sketchup, Rhino primarily for product design projects. Actually been testing out Archicad for main CAD app to use alongside Rhino.

May 25, 04 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

is there someplace i can get a quick tutorial on how to use rhino (in compliance with autocad ?) Im pretty quick at 3d CAD (which sucks ass) and Maya (i like to use it, but the connectivity with Max and Autocad is so horrible)
And can one make models in Rhino and then render in Maya instead of Max???

thanks a ton for the input

May 25, 04 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

what about transferring from Rhino and 3d Viz?
is it worth learning 3d viz for primarily buildings and not animation?

May 25, 04 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Like poo said above, it's not impossible to get nice renderings out of Rhino if you use the Flamingo rendering plug-in, but I've found it difficult to replicate results from one model to the next. I'm far from a master of it, so that's probably just me. When I've really wanted to polish up an image, I've always exported to MAX.

Not using it much since I started using Revit though.

May 25, 04 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
Doug Johnston

has anyone seen Rhino run on mac via VitualPC? if so, how well does it run and what version of VPC was it?

May 25, 04 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
raul

.dwg

Viz and Max are similar and i believe that you if u can export to max you can export to viz..no problem

May 26, 04 9:07 am  · 
 · 
"no_name"

ID students use here swear by StudioTools - I prefer a combination of Maya for modeling then transer to Rhino for fabrication.

May 26, 04 9:56 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Mac and Rhino don't mix, to the one that asked....that's you Doug Johnston...the question if it is viable on the platform.

I've seem some kick as renderings using flamingo. I did some for some of my m.arch thesis, and they turned out satisfactorilly. Yet if you know how to manuver that program plug in, it's as good as if not better than Viz or max. As for maya and the like, I can't verify.

Check out that link to the 3drhino.com which there are loads of people willing to give you tips.

May 26, 04 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
Doug Johnston

thanks squirrelly.
that link is actually http://www.rhino3d.com/

May 26, 04 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

simple 3 D in Sketch Up
Construction drawings in AutoCAD
complex curves (blobbytechture) in Rhino
high quality renderings in 3D Studio
Animations in Cinema 4D
hand drawn sketch schemes rendered Photoshop

to a previous poster - there is a plug in for Rhino to 3D max

May 27, 04 11:30 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

simple 3 D in Sketch Up
Construction drawings in AutoCAD
complex curves (blobbytechture) in Rhino
high quality renderings in 3D Studio
Animations in Cinema 4D
hand drawn sketch schemes rendered Photoshop

to a previous poster - there is a plug in for Rhino to 3D max

May 27, 04 11:30 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

this new fangled posting - it still f**ks up like the last version, can't it recognise my error in a double tap for a submission?

May 27, 04 11:32 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

this new fangled posting - it still f**ks up like the last version, can't it recognise my error in a double tap for a submission?

May 27, 04 11:32 am  · 
 · 
TickerTocker

Is the rhino interface cumbersome? I do most of my work on max, and i've spent a little time on form.z, which is a pain to get around in. whats rhino like in terms of usability?

Jun 4, 04 1:23 am  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

Rhino has a command line similar to autocad and uses many of the same commands. It's of course fully customizable as well. Overall I think Rhinos easier to get around in (once you know what you're doing) than FormZ and I'm more of a formZ guy.

Jun 4, 04 1:47 am  · 
 · 
aKa

Bots- when you go to work or school do you normally go 4 or five blocks out of you way before you get there?

Jun 4, 04 8:51 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

aKa - depends on the weather, my mood, the angle of the sun.......... why?

Jun 4, 04 9:33 am  · 
 · 
netizen

Office dA in Boston uses Rhino extensively, especially on research proects

Jun 7, 04 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

i'm running rhino on Virtual PC 6.1. It's runs very smoothly, just some occasional hiccups because i'm running it on my powerbook g4 500MHz- with 1 GB RAM - 512 mb devoted to VPC.

I tried rendering some drawings on Rhino, it's a bit slow on my machine, but overall it's runs fine.

Jun 7, 04 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

Rhino yes its based on Studio Tools, but is more architecture friendly...if u know how to use a-cad and 3d max/viz u can learn rhino in 2 days with some hints/guidance by any friend....i did it that way...is a very simple and intuitive program with a lot of nice tricks, and if u r one of those fighting with complicated modelling into max/viz (even acad 3d) u would have a happier and easier life w/rhino

Sep 19, 04 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Too bad rhino has a very small library of objects, how do you guys use rhino in your workflow alongside revit.

Aug 15, 18 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

For starters you can just export family objects to rhino blocks and use those ... RH RV is a very common workflow.

Aug 16, 18 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: