Archinect
anchor

Eric Owen Moss Office

maxx15m

Anyone work for Moss, anyone worked for Moss in the past???

Thinking of taking a job with them after moving back from London, any advice?

Thank you.

Aug 25, 04 7:11 pm
Janosh

Never met the man, and haven't worked there, but the three people I know who did were in and out in a matter of weeks because of the disfunctional work environment.

Aug 25, 04 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
fiver

he's crazy. i don't know if that would bother you though...

Aug 25, 04 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i saw that guy lecture. i dont know why anyone would work for him. it was clear to me he had early alzhiemers or mild dimensia. couldnt speak in any level of detail about is work. and he really appeared to be a royal asswhole. would start to talk about the critical spacing of some verticals in a detail then couldnt remember what that dimesion was. it was a very small lecture, probalby 25 persons or so. no excuse.

Aug 25, 04 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I've heard him lecture once, but have been studying his work off and on for the past few years. Crazy, Dysfunctional, Alzheimers, mild dimensia....haha well he does have a unique personality. I think that's why I like him and his work so much. Heck, I'd give my left big toe for the chance to work with him. Working for Moss defiantly wouldn't be for everyone...but for me I think it would be the ultimate job. Maxx15m: How much do you know about Moss and his work? If you know him personally, or study his stuff a little I think you understand what everyone is saying about his personality. If you just picked his name off a list of you may have quite a shock coming. anyhow... to each his own.

Aug 25, 04 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Eric Owen Mush
I was ask his lecture.
I was the one who asked Him if he was drunk.
He just stood there stunned.
I guess that one more hack, I will never work for.

Aug 25, 04 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
libier

All you have to say is “make it new”
His “new” mantra for sci-arc.
He's an idiot

Aug 26, 04 12:42 am  · 
 · 
TED

when he lectured in chicago it was at the arch foundation with gets lots of blue rinse types if you know what i mean...[its the same group that ran the dave mathews chicago shit bus 'n boat tour recently]. well, some old nice lady asked a question and moss laughedat this old girl and said something like thats a studip question even for chicago and would not answer the question.

defenstrator, someone must do his writing and clearly does his buildings else you have bad taste in architects.

Aug 26, 04 3:17 am  · 
 · 
Andrew Kudless

In my opinion he has gone from bad to worse. In the beginning of his career his was simple the "jeweler of junk" as Philip Johnson called him. Since his stylistic make-over he has become the poster-child for bad administrators (Sci-Arc), evil bosses (his own firm), and reckless blobmeisters. Not only that but his work has actually worse over time. Maxx15m, if you want a job there, you might think about your future after you work there. Sure, maybe you would love it and stay there forever, but more likely is that his firm will crash and burn or he will just fire you or treat you like shit until you quit. If these things happen you have the unhappy prospect of then trying to find a job somewhere else and most architects (as can be seen from the above comments) are so turned off by Moss that you may have a hard time finding a new job with that black mark on your resume.

Aug 26, 04 7:54 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

after knowing quite a few people who've worked at his office and meeting the man himself several times, i think you would be smart to heed the advice from pretty much everyone on this post. the big thing to think about:
1.can i deal with working for a royal a-hole
2. is there anything i can learn there that i couldn't learn on my own in my free time while working at the local shopping mall
3. do i respect this man's ideas enough to get paid poorly, deal with tons of office-inflicted headaches and stress, and be the vent for loads of moss's personal anxieties and anger.
if you answer yes to these questions. then maybe it's the perfect place for you. but definitely it's seldom that anyone works for him for more than 3-6 months.

Aug 26, 04 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

He was my studio instructor.

The following are obviuosly just opinions.

The man, I believe is most of the time misunderstood. Having said that, I feel for the friend of museschild, no matter who it is that you are working for, money is the only compensatation that has value. Moss was in studio 40% of the time, and more often than not he would have his employees come in and give us desk crits.

I appreciate his approach to architecture, his input was challenging and very much insightful. The man knows what he's talking about, nevertheless he relies on the people around him quite heavily. Some of the people that have worked for him and moved on had been there for 15 and 10 yrs., some are still working for him. And the people that have moved on, have moved on to open their own firm, and the quality of work that comes out of these guys offices is owesome, absolutely amazing.

Moss can be sexist, he does have a weakness for beautiful women, and he is no challenge for intelligent women that know how to manipulate this weakness.

The man is intense. He knows architectrure, he knows what it's limitations are, he never appears to be frustrated from it, even if he might be. He comes across as a-hole becasue he throws out many formalities for the sake of practicality which in turn ends up biting him on the ass, as you can see from the comments above. I would say that most of my peers in studio disliked him, many just looked up to the guy a bit too much and took every word he said as set in stone. I believe that part of the reason why he comes across so wrong is because you expect a character like that to be a bit more formal but he isn't, he is very blase about formalities. He is a just get it done guy.

maxx15m, if you have the chance, and you can work for a low pay go for it, there are many, many people that would love the opportunity. Even if they talk bad about the guy, he is okay.

Aug 26, 04 11:13 am  · 
 · 
archmama

if you have the chance, i would take it. most of the above "opinions" are ridiculous- nobody ever asked him if he was drunk during a lecture. this is just grandstanding. the truth is that he is one of the best, most independent architects of our time. he has a true, singular voice. working for him would be intense and rigorous. i've heard he does not sugar coat criticism. most are jealous or are too dense to understand the work.

Aug 27, 04 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

he was my prof long long time ago and i don't particularly have interest in his work, but, he is a very dedicated prof and has sharp eyes for passion and talent which he respects. once you are not intimidated by his vigor and semi pampous ass, he is a pretty sweet and helpful guy. he is a pretty good bullshit detector as well.
in a side story,
i have witnessed a funny exchange between robert stern and him when stern adressed moss, "let me tell you something about post modernism young man", after that moss was quite and walked out.
i also like the fact he always carries several pens and pencils in his shirt pocket.

Aug 27, 04 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
sterling hall

i've heard they're very underpaid there.

Aug 30, 04 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
redchairs

uchgggggggggg

Aug 31, 04 2:12 am  · 
 · 
BEN_Diddy

"WELCOME TO SCIIIIIIII-ARRRRRRRC...", best EOM quote eva!

Sep 1, 04 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
dasein

what's up with the handle on the front door of his office? it looks like a large steel phallus.

Sep 2, 04 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
richardtaylor

Last years Sci-Arc lecture series poster had a baby on it. Rumor is, its His new born.

Sep 3, 04 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

It's true.

Sep 3, 04 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i pity the child.......

Sep 3, 04 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: