Archinect
anchor

David Wallace dies in apparent double suicide.

mm

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

Eminent architect dies in double suicide
By Ira Porter, Inga Saffron and Frederick Cusick
INQUIRER STAFF WRITERS

David A. Wallace, a distinguished architect and urban planner and his wife, Joan, were found dead in their Chestnut Hill home today, an apparent double suicide, police said.

The news on the David Wallace and his wife's suicides is found in the news section

Jul 20, 04 10:48 am

I witnessed an example David Wallace's desperate tendencies while I was briefly employed at WRT Spring 1987. As their only employee then having extensive CAD management and operating experience, I made a presentation to the partners as to how CAD would be utilized once they decided to bring CAD into the office. Wallace did not attend almost all of the presentation--he decided it was much more important to hand render a drawing that morning (something that hadn't been his routine for years) instead. From then on I realized that Wallace was one for making symbolic gestures, albeit ones that were trite and unimaginative.

[A double suicide is the climax of MY PAST, and Heinrich von Kleist, author of MICHAEL KOHLHAAS, etc., became somewhat notorius for seeking someone to commit double suicide with. I even think he eventually succeeded.]

Jul 21, 04 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

That's harsh, Stephen.

Jul 21, 04 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

Double suicide is harsh, Marc.

The climax of Constantine's Vicennailia (this weekend) was a death and an uncertain suicide--the Emperor's mother and wife respectively. I've learned to see things as they are even when they're harsh, because you then see much more of the truth.

Jul 21, 04 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
cracker

how novel you are rita!

Jul 21, 04 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

You're judging him based on a single incident 17 years ago? Do you know what they might have been going through to drive them to do this? I can't imagine it myself, but I suspect that their actions can't so easily be chalked up to a lifelong predilection for "desperate tendencies," as implied by your post.

And what does Constantine's Vicennalia have to do with it? Are you making a statement about the hubris of urban planners? If so, it feels like a stretch, not to mention a rather presumptuous and callous parallel to draw. Forgive me if I am misinterpreting your intentions, but they are otherwise inscrutable as presented.

Jul 21, 04 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

The article I read said they had planned on doing it if they both became terminally ill. I dont think they were "going through" anything emotional. They were both very sick and chose to end their lives painlessly. The one I read was on CNN I think.

Jul 21, 04 3:13 pm  · 
 · 

Marc, I do forgive you for misinterpreting my intentions.

Did I intend to reenact suicide while in the midst of composing a novel regarding the 2004 afterlife of the Horace Trumbauer Architecture Fan Club?
No.

Did I nonetheless find myself reenacting suicide while in the midst of composing a novel regarding the 2004 afterlife of the Horace Trumbauer Architecture Fan Club?
Yes.

Jul 21, 04 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Marc Pittsley

Look, Stephen, I don't have all evening to sit and decipher your abstruse historical allusions and pedantic witticisms, especially when you don't seem especially eager to explain your intentions and don't seem to care how they're taken, so just let me know if you want to have an actual conversation, instead of some sort of affected lecture. Otherwise, I'll leave you to your historical reenactments and quondam grudges.

Jul 21, 04 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

wow. spot on Pittsley

Jul 21, 04 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
cracker

second that.

Jul 21, 04 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Marc (et al), my intention was never to have you sit all evening and decipher my intentions, so don't imply that that's what I want you to do. As to the notion that I've expressed a grudge, I haven't thought about David Wallace probably since 1987. What I did express is the recollection of a personal experience with David Wallace.

My primary intention this year is to compose a novel regarding the 2004 afterlife of the Horace Trumbauer Architecture Fan Club, and, as is evident, I am very eager to compose this novel in a real/virtual manner. Do you assume this intention needs support from the living?

Jul 21, 04 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
(IN) Theory

I assume that you are making an ass out of yourself. So why don't you go r-e-a-d-a-n-o-v-e-l and make somemore webcrap so you can annoy us more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more.....

Jul 21, 04 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
uneDITed

(IN)Theory<==>Fountain of KaKa

Half solid half liquid..oozing out in lumps and slurpy gushes

A fountain in perpetual self deconstruction, spewing out its Anti in its same exalted exhaled sigh (s.e.e.s). A fountain linked directly to a sewage pipe. The garden city aesthetic flooding its own scatalogical secrets, an Atlantis covered in smelly yukiness. A trivial confusion of myths or a critical unveling of a cultural basement?
Oh to unearth your Atlantis..your inner babe.

(IN)Theory....your comment did not even bore me.

please, more more more

Jul 22, 04 11:36 am  · 
 · 

Ian L. McHarg is the newest of the Horace Trumbauer Architecture Fan Club. All the other members enjoy Ian's A QUEST FOR LIFE: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY. Plus Ian's keeping them all entertained with his stories about the good old Intergraph days at UofP's Graduate School of Fine Arts.

Jul 22, 04 11:48 am  · 
 · 
(IN) Theory

uneDITed my comment obviously didn't bore you because it elicited a response from your sensually intellectual lips. and since you consumed what i past on to this foul dung heap of Lauf's quondam ramblings I suggest you enjoy the shit I gave you and we'll leave it at that.

Jul 22, 04 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

this is too metaexegetic .

Jul 22, 04 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
kn825

this wins as the most useless archinect discussion ever.

Jul 22, 04 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: