Archinect
anchor

Bendy Buildings

imagebytekid

Hey anyone seen these forms anywhere else?:)

1991/92/93/94
College Of Fine Arts
Sydney
Australia

Jul 14, 04 1:57 am
nameisinuse

yes, in the other post
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=3985_0_20_0_C
other than that, no.

Jul 14, 04 11:29 am  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

Yes, well that kinda amusing...
But not point.

These are illustrations that led to the construction of four sculptures
"towers" for my grad work.
If you can see no relationship between these forms and others now in the public domain...I'll leave it at that

Jul 14, 04 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

"Hey anyone seen these forms anywhere else?"

Yes. When I first installed Photoshop and was trying out some of the basic filters that distorted an image. Didn't save the images though.

Not to take anything away from your work, but what is the point?

Jul 14, 04 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

yes. frank gehry's 'bendy' forms are well documented prior to 1991/92/93/94....

Jul 14, 04 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

Can you please point me to the "well documented" "bendy" forms prior to the dates in question by Gehry please.
Perhaps reference, a book, an illustration that is in print or on the web or in the public or private archives.

Thank you.
Yours sincerely
Pierre Stokx

Jul 14, 04 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

Dear Butterballs.
First I drew them with a pencil.
I then spent two weeks documenting the architecture in Sydney with a camera. Then I found photoshop.
Photoshop 1.
Then I built four sculptures.
Two of which (Purchased by The College of Fine Arts) fell apart in 2001 due to the stressed steel in their construction.
The other two toured Australia in a regional exhibition of contemporay Australian art.
Form equal function.

Jul 14, 04 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

What?!?

Jul 14, 04 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

pierre, check out:

http://www.guggenheim.org/exhibitions/past_exhibitions/gehry/

also check out peter eisenman's columbus convention center, the first 'bendy building' he realized:

http://www.eisenmanarchitects.com/; click on 'past projects' then 'greater columbus convention center'

Jul 14, 04 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Are you absolutely insane? These concepts are well established throughout architectural history! You know it was nice to see your work and all, but your complete lack of knowledge on this subject along with your persistence of posting your self-deprecating links and words is annoying and unfounded. If you have a chance please read or look at the work of Alvar Aalto, Hugo Haring, Hans Scharoun and Fredrik Kessler, respectivily these are all members of the modernist movement for your information in the early part of the twentieth century who delved into these types of formal logics. You can scream Gehry this and Gehry that, all you want, but these issues started before you were even a twinkle in your father’s eye.

Jul 14, 04 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

right on John Jourden! VIVA LA MODERENE!

Jul 14, 04 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

get this,
an interior designer once told me, he would like to get his grey painted living room published before everybody else uses grey walls in their projects. i did not know where to start to inform this person about the grey in architecture.
hearing is believing...

Jul 14, 04 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

Mr Jourden.
Whilst I'm not an architect I am an artist and have a reasonable knowledge of art history, its forms and categorisations.
I may lack an understanding of the history of international architecture but thats why I'm here.

My point from the posts that I have put up is to become informed and to seek feedback to my comment and my work from your community because I believe in myself and my work.

I thank you for the list of of respective members of the modernist movement and the respective movements that have spiraled forthwith.

However,
at no time have I personally vilified or made disparaging remarks to you.
You continue a personal attack on myself my perspective and my work.
That's your right.
Although I could suggest that If one was to psychoanalise your comments one would come up with the term "projection".

Cheers Mate.
Have a nice day.

Jul 14, 04 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

I believe the the frustration you are causing is due in large part to the enormous presumption that you - someone completely uninformed within the world of architecture - claim to have originated all forms in architecture that aren't linear. Such a superficial analysis of your work against one of the most prolific builders of our time (I'm exaggerating a little) will anger anyone who thinks about art and architecture relative to larger discourses beyond such trivial catagorizations such as "bendy."

Jul 15, 04 12:08 am  · 
 · 
beatmeofficer

shall we tell him to get bent?

Jul 15, 04 12:48 am  · 
 · 
TED

Bendy???

i have to tell you, Frank G was in town last week and we had a few drinks to celebrate his project at the park [have you seen it? has bendies too - it may look like one of your unposted bendy forms!!].

well, frank had a bit too much too drink and starting going on and on about siting in this crit in austrialia 15 or so years back and seeing these incredible forms.....

by the end of the night i really couldnt quit understand what he was talking about but thinking back it might have been trendy or bendy or something like that.

if i remeber anything else, ill let you know

your friend,
TED

Jul 15, 04 12:59 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

TED - you had dinner with Frank and you didn't invite me? I'm hurt.

Jul 15, 04 1:03 am  · 
 · 
TED

no, only drinks. it was a spur of the moment thing. next time he is in town will give you a ring. he had something on his chest he had to let out. still cant figure out what.

Jul 15, 04 1:06 am  · 
 · 

I was going to hold off on my next post, because I thought I might have been unfair to you. however, having reread both of these entire threads I think that I have been fair with the one exception of my mickey mouse comment - which was a small indulgance on my part to what I though was a half joking thread. Now that it is clear you are serious and have painted your post with humble but charged words of indignation. I leave you with these two paragraphs to contemplate. Take them as projection if you like or straight up with a chaser.

Look imagebytekid this isn't a personal attack it’s a statement to get real. If you are truly interested in learning something from this community don't play around with us to get your information. Be honest and ask questions instead of posting statements, which are imbedded with some presumption of art gives only to architecture or that you have been ripped off by United Architects or SOM/SANAA team for the WTC proposals. If you truly believe this to be the case your off your rocker. Especially if you knew United Architects’ or the SOM/SANAA team’s theoretical work – you would clearly see that there is an established conceptual basis to it. The fact that you have not done your own do diligence on this matter is not my fault, but should be of some concern to you - especially when you make such bold statements as to your painting being the generator of said forms.

As for the relationship of art to architecture – there is no doubt in my mind that the two are linked, but not within your framing of the argument. Things do not occur within a box. Ideas permeate borders – things flow from one discipline to another. This we can discuss to great length and I'd welcome it. However, when one prefaces a question with a statement about what and who came up with curved forms and uses an image of a 2d form on canvas and says there is a similarity between this and that is a total absurdity. Please we deal with space, time, and more importantly reality. Of which your initial posting lacks. So if you'd like to pose a question go ahead and we'd be happy to help.

Jul 15, 04 1:55 am  · 
 · 
spaceman

I think that Eisenman's Columbus Convention Center and his proposal for a hotel/housing for the Olympics in Barcelona were circa 1989. These forms were co-opted by Eisenman from a Spanish student in his studio at Ohio State. I remember discussing this with Jeff Kipnis back then--how these were the first projects that "de-conned the curve."

At that time I think Frank Gehry was still playing around with binoculars.

Anyway, Imagebytekid that picture you posted is totally unsophisticated.

Jul 15, 04 2:14 am  · 
 · 
TED

jj, wouldnt feel to bad about what you previously said. there have been some serious post / answers to Imagebytekid issues that he has decided not to respond to. and what is the story with the 2 threads? i sense he is yanking our chain more than we are yanking his.

as a grad student, he claims he built 4 nice sculptural study pieces of the same work [2 of which fell apart]. cant tell the size. what were his influences? his concepts? concepts of materiality. and how has he developed these things since. he has not spoken in anyway to us what it was about and what he was thinking. just lookie here. see.

he moved past his grad school expereince and moved on to a whole bunch of other things not having anything to do with the previous studies. and i will be the first to say, the other stuff is 'nice' however pretty ordinary. and since the so called sculpture is the only so called 3d piece on his web site, i would suggest that it might be a digital creation also. is the piece as shown on its side, whats with the angle of the shot. or perhaps it is a photo of an object and the photo, light shadow charateristics, is the art

with regard to that bendy work he choose not to develop or study it any further. obvioulsy it board him and he felt no need to look at it any further.

Jul 15, 04 9:06 am  · 
 · 
PostDepot

For me, the irresistible provocation of this post and and companion drawing evokes some memories of mini mall explosion of the 80’s in Los Angeles. It was than, post modern “style” (I use this term in reference to Michael Graves,Philip Johnson and others who embraced and included pop classicism in their designs) start to trickle down to suburban shopping malls, ice cream parlors and mini malls which replaced the abandoned gas stations in Los Angeles intersections. There were tilted, over scaled, punk’d pediments, Doric columns and arches in all colors. Even architects like Frank Gehry, Eric Moss and Morphosis were attracted to this huge stylistic and well marketed bandwagon same time the developers start to use it.
Now, I sense the same sort of product arrived in the popular architecture. This time it is called, rhymy, “bendy” style.
I am suspicious that the creator of this post is cunningly intelligent and sarcastically serious prankster. I do expect to see everyday buildings like convenience marts and gas stations going bendy very soon ( much cheaper type V versions at least). Mr imagebytekid is one of many contenders for coining a name for potentially huge venture concerning building forms and commercial/residential development.

Jul 15, 04 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
TED

just got an email from amazon....its out!!

Jul 15, 04 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

TED - Pure Genius.

Jul 15, 04 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

outstanding, TED.

Jul 15, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

somebody should alert calatrava that his turning torso in malmo will soon be under suspicion of having appropriated ideas from this bendster fella as well.

Jul 15, 04 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

"The fact that you have not done your own do diligence on this matter is not my fault, but should be of some concern to you"

Interesting point.
I am now concerned, in particular to the phrase "de-conned the curve." or as my experiments took me.... to de cone the cone. The cone and sphere being the "perfect" forms.
My influences were psychoanalytic theory, avante-garde,Duchamp,modernism,rhizomes,Freud,Dali,Jung,J Campbell, Gash Girl, the phallus, glass as a mediator and reflection,light as a carrier, the growth of the internet and the new language... communities and theories that it created and encompasses,Ballard,Calvino,One Dimensional Man, John Conomos, Gibson, Derrida, Deluze, Polybius, Wertheim, F Capra, Bauhaus, Brecht, Surrealism...and the city...

I am now in the process of formualting a correct responce to the issues I have raised here.
I am going throught my note books,sketches, poems and theoretical ideas that gave birth to this form I was working with.

I suppose I'm in shock and disbelief if a little nieve to the fact that these forms are in existence.

The four sculpures were aprox 150cm.
I will publish them on my site along with sketches, dates and their theoretical baggage at a later date that I'll post here.

So before you shoot any more…take a moment to reflect that I am genuine and of sane mind and am trying to understand the process myself; and therefore seek your leave and discretion to my flaming whilst I seek legal advice, formulate a proper responce and seek spiritual counsel in the crisp winter surf.

Thank you again for your comments and in particular to Jourden, Captain Eo and silverlake.

Yours Sincerley

Pierre Stokx

Jul 16, 04 12:15 am  · 
 · 

John Jourden - maybe if you watched Ali G once in a while you'd get this.

Jul 16, 04 12:17 am  · 
 · 
redchairs

OOF

Jul 16, 04 1:29 am  · 
 · 

get what? I hope to god your joking. Maybe if you watch andy kauffman reruns you'd see ali g's originality slowly fade in your mind. but thats another thread and I won't bring it into another forum just to spite you.

And for all you know this Pierre could be completely serious. In addition, in light of this new found possiblity of a sarcasm to this thread and its complete and utter lack of value - maybe we should give DJ the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he was just playing around for fun to make us laugh at ourselves. And maybe if you watched the late Sam Kinnison you'd get DJs humor.

Jul 16, 04 2:09 am  · 
 · 
calatrava

JAB AND WEAVE, JAB AND WEAVE! OOF OOF!

Jul 16, 04 10:19 am  · 
 · 
christophermulvey

there are currently 6,380,744,116 people in the world (http://www.census.gov/cgi-bin/ipc/popclockw). does anyone in this thread REALLY think that they are creating something 'original'.

there is nothing wrong with sampling.

Jul 16, 04 10:29 am  · 
 · 
TED

while your list of 'influences' is the rements of list writings that we all have past through our hands at one moment in time, i find it very disconcerting you say...

'...I am going throught my note books,sketches, poems and theoretical ideas that gave birth to this form I was working with.'

trust me, anyone who qualifies to be listed in the Phaidon Atlas of Contemporary Bending Architecture can speak of there work, influences and ideas in a very detailed manor very spontaneously. sadly, i think your work will be excluded from the next printing

inteligent property rights generally are limited to corporate 'trade secrets' and architects here find it difficult to prove it even when a building is directly duplicated on another piece of property. you are barking up the wrong tree.

if you think frank stole your idea and used it for the guggenhiem you need to go to spain and take it up with the courts there. for the disney, well your in califorina, millenium park, chicago....thats the illinois court....and you will go on and on and on.

anyone interesting in taking up a collection for the 'Bendy defense fund?

Jul 16, 04 10:45 am  · 
 · 
TED

sorry dont get the Ali G comment....dont have a tv.

Jul 16, 04 10:56 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

"Yeah, but, you are aware that there's an invention called television, and on this invention they show shows, right?"

Jul 16, 04 11:14 am  · 
 · 
betamax

anatomical-

i apologize, please do not be mad, however your clever reference is a stretch as the subject at hand is the general realm of television not one particular show, or to be more precise, a pilot, the concept of which Jules was explaining to Vincent. I am going to have to report you to the CRA, Clever Reference Authority, for violation of penal code 05-34-XQniner, misinterpreting general subject at hand and subsequently mis-referencing the situation. I apologize once more as the standard sentencing for such a violation is immediate expulsion from personal physical molecular bondage laws. You will begin to disintegrate, dissipate, evaporate, and vaporize within the hour. Please, do not be angry, it is my duty.

Sincerely,
EO

Friends, on this sad occasion, let us observe a moment of silence as we remember our good friend anatomical gift.

Jul 16, 04 11:36 am  · 
 · 
TED

i have heard of it. i did have one once.

i gave up my 12" B&W tv [well, i guess it broke about 5 years back and i still keep it around so when my friends come around they think i am not weird...or at least they think i have a tv....i fib a bit, it tell them its color!!] in exchange i watch tv at my local corner bar which i consider a neighborhood community center when i need a fix[historically in chicago prior to the 1956 zoning code, this was true]. dont know if its the fix of talking to people or beer that i like. cant be the beer. dont have beer at home either.

trust me...got my eyes on a real nice full wall plasma screen with surrround sound...dvd...then i can get me some cable....a fancy tv tray for my tv diners...and wont have to talk to my neighbors...cant wait for that day.

did get to see the sopranos for the first time this year. a group of about 10 of us [i dont know any of their last name or any of them outside the bar] always meet there sunday night and have a good natter. not sure i am up with the wheel of fortune crowd, but there nice folks. there was all this chatter there the other night about the jeapordy guy so i guess i am going to have to start leaving work to get with those folks.

Jul 16, 04 11:36 am  · 
 · 
oregon

i'm laughing so hard right now this thread's existence is amazing. While we're at it, why dont we check out my work. Does this seem familiar to any of you architects? Yeah i'll leave you with that.

http://www.aceland.com/

Jul 16, 04 11:40 am  · 
 · 
archit84

i just read this thread for the first time

wow

i feel so bad for you imagebytekid.
you got ripped off but proving it is increadibly difficult.
i have spent time in copyright infringement cases and it is tough.
i don't think you will win.
sorry
you'll just have to live with the knowledge that you alone started an entire movement/trend (depending how seriously you look at these buildings)

Jul 16, 04 11:41 am  · 
 · 
TED

say it aint so EO!!

really, AG was just going to point out the latest bendy tv for me...so lets not report her to the police yet....

Jul 16, 04 11:48 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

captain EO - Aren't I allowed to defend myself? Are you the judge, jury and executioner? Where's my day in court!?!

Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury (Archinect),

I, (state your name) anatomical gift, hereby formally apologize for the supposed mis-reference of the Fab-Force Five joke scene. Altough I admit no wrong doing, I will apologize if my reference offended, confused, or generally mis-guided anyone.

My apologies,

Anatomical Gift

Jul 16, 04 11:50 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

I apologize for my apology. It's Fox Force Five, not Fab.

Jul 16, 04 11:54 am  · 
 · 
betamax

apology accepted. commence molecular re-adhesion.

now that that is taken care of, let us get back to the subject at hand. my great grandfather was an engineer, i would imagine he drew a straight line or two...probably a few squares and rectangles...and most definitely a grid. maybe i should sue history, or some sort of Mies Foundation for jacking my great grandpops ideas about straight lines and simplicity and efficiency. i almost feel obliged to do so now that i know it can be done.

Jul 16, 04 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

oh yeah,

Friends, on this happy occasion, let us observe a moment of chaos as we rejoice our good friend anatomical gift's re-adhesion.

yeeaaaa. (a la Monty Python please)

Jul 16, 04 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

yes very monty python,battle of the bendy buildings.
He haa ha.

Seriously mice n mazes, I reckon.

p

Jul 18, 04 4:32 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

hey kid, have you seen these?

Jul 18, 04 7:58 am  · 
 · 
imagebytekid

Well.
Your all right.
I am a fool.
"Bendy Building" is a term coined by an old friend...Mick..."so...not building any more bendy buildings pierre?" after seeing the WT site finalists"
I appropriated this term because it acts as a laymans metaphor for the "new" aesthetic of tinanium and glass dune grass.
As any great Architect/artist would tell you ...it is the line.
Line is a template. Suspended, mirrored drawn in the sand.

Here is a sandpit.
http://www.imagebytedesign.com/alt/ps_FG_lego.jpg

Jul 18, 04 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
surface
Nov 10, 04 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
beccabecca11

it's 1:30 AM on a friday night and I'm stuck here in studio re-evlauating my thesis after a bad critique.... to procrastinate even further I logged on here and read this entire thread.
It was amuzing, if not informative... but the picture of the elderly just tipped the scale and I've decided to call it a night on this last funny note. Thanks susan surface!

Nov 13, 04 1:27 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

this was a classic. what happened to all the images?

Nov 23, 07 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

yeah, especially the phaidon atlas of bendy buildings?

Nov 24, 07 2:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: