Archinect
anchor

good food for LA archinect'ers

A Center for Ants?

had to rave it was so good.

heaven is found on the SW corner of La Brea & Olympic after 6pm daily... best carne asada taco i've ever had. hands down. the taco truck is called "el pescas #2"

Jan 22, 06 2:39 pm
abracadabra

thanks.
for the mexican fare, here is another one in mar vista:
Gallegos Mexican Deli
12470 Venice Blvd.
just SW of centinela & venice

Jan 22, 06 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

god i miss the posole and super tostada at El Abajeno in Culver City.

Jan 22, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

House of Pies on Vermont. Not good Mexican food. Not even good food. But gooood pies. And this is a man who likes pie.

.mm

Jan 22, 06 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

anyone know where i can get some good crab tostadas?...i know this place on lincoln but they use imitation crab...

Jan 23, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

dammson- the place you're thinking of... is it the one on lincoln that's maybe 5 or so blocks south of pico on the west side of lincoln?

Jan 23, 06 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh... just remembered, i dunno if this truck has crab tostadas, but try the taco truck on rose and around 4th or 5th in venice. i seem to recall they have pretty good seafood.

Jan 23, 06 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

acfa, yup. you walk up to the window and eat outside...their crab tostadas are good regardless of the imitation cra(or as my friend calls it "synthetic crab")...they pile the crab 5 inches high on the tostada...some lime, ketchup, avocados...sweet and tangy

i'm craving some crab tostadas...

i'm gonna try that gallegos for lunch and hit up that el pescos #2 truck on my home for dinner

Jan 23, 06 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Hmm, never was a fan of the House of Pies pie. That place is just kind of unavoidable though. For awhile I was pretty hooked on Phillipe's pie. Also not spectacular but the price was right, good variety also. Honestly, Marie Callender's pie is pretty damn good.

Jan 23, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Phillipe's! Tasty!

Jan 23, 06 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Taco's Villa Corona in Atwater Village

KP's Viennemeese (sp??) deli on Hyperion

Jan 23, 06 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

I just came back from gallegos...i ordered the carnitas tostada...the meat had the right amount of crisp and softness and the smoky flavor was good...one black olive on the sour cream...

their pickled carrots made my mouth water...it had a roasted garlic flavor that came through...

Jan 23, 06 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Chanos nachos. The 'SC guys know already, but for the rest of you, there's a great little mexican place at Figueroa and 29th or 30th street that's open most of the night (I've never actually witnessed a closed Chanos) that has great stuff. No crab, but great carne asada.

Jan 23, 06 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

how about el parian on pico? hot diggity dog it's good.

philippe's pecan pie is also a delight. don't forget the baked apple, too. it's in season and on the menu from october through may.

kim chuy in chinatown rules, too. chiu chow food.

Jan 23, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

while we're at it...

best hot dogs in town is skooby's on hollywood a few blocks east of highland. my fav is the garlic dog.

Jan 23, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

and Zip Fusion for sushi and very good sake. Down by SCI-Arc, on Traction. Try the Crunch Rolls.

Jan 23, 06 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

saladang song in the 'Dena

great building

Jan 23, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thats sci-arch...

Jan 23, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

dude saladang song is blah and too hoity toity. go for the gold and do sanamluang cafe on the south side of hollywood blvd. btw. winona and kingsley. everything is under $10 and it opens until 4am or something.

Jan 23, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

some of us called it 'skylark' drinking cheap wine on the roof singing bye american pie and thinking when we'll fly
ty vr

Jan 23, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Versailles. I hit it up eveytime o go to LA for a lecture wether its on the way or not.

Cha cha cha is also pretty good.

Jan 23, 06 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

I've gotta second that Sanamluang recommendation, it's really fantastic. Only problems: Tough to find parking sometimes, and make sure to bring cash.

Random good stuff: On the corner of third and Alameda (Little Tokyo) there's a mall that looks more like a bunker. It's not much of a mall, but in the back of the first floor is a grocery store. In the grocery store is a lunch counter. Again, cash only, but some of the best food within walking distance of Sci-Arc. Cheap, good Japanese food. When you're done, swing by the grocery store for some sake or plum wine and head back to studio.

.mm

Jan 23, 06 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

tina and i ate at Versailles, on venice, last night. nothing ever changes. grease soaked delicious everything that gives you some work out later. but you can't beat the taste of being there on an empty stomach.

Jan 23, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

best thai food is at Palms thai, on hollywood, just west of wilton (after the 101)...and you get to hear the thai elvis too!

Any place you guys recommend for good non-indian vegetarian food? (im saying non-indian, because thats what we cook at home !)...yes, but good vegetarian stuff ???

Jan 23, 06 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

hey sameolddoctor, not totally vegetarian, but i'd totally recommend merkato's vegetable plate (#25, i think) on fairfax (ethiopian food).

there's an entirely vegetarian ethiopian restaurant across the street under that new facade next door to meals by genet.

try m cafe de chaya if you want to be annoyed by chewbacca boots and fake 'n bake people, but the food is rather good, albeit it's a little strange because it's neither hot nor cold...

there's a great vegan thai joint on 5907 hollywood blvd called truly. exceptional.

Jan 23, 06 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
nixietube

dammson. . . .i make a pilgrimage to the stand on Lincoln almost every weekend for a mixed seafood tostada. i usually purchase one other food item as well, but never need it. . .

mmatt. . . . . have you tried the korean place on the third level of that mall? the combos come with like 7 food items and are all pretty good. and they take plastic.

in other news, the cemitas poblanas truck parked out in from of the smart and final on venice by natalie thai everyday until 430 has maybe the best soft al pastor tacos i have ever tasted. and the best milanesa sandwiches.

Jan 23, 06 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
nixietube

garpike, i'll take you to Phillipe's saturday morning for breakfast. i believe they will be open. i had to stop eating lunch there, because of the food coma, which i blame either the pickled egg or the chocolate pie for.

Jan 23, 06 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Totally agree about Chanos. My SC homies used to take me there when I was coming in from outta state. I try to get out there once a week now. If you want some legit Japanese food, try Haru Ulala at 2nd and Central, by the Subway.

Jan 23, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

nixie, thanks. I'll keep you updated on the plans.

Jan 25, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

"the godmother" sandwich from Bay City Market in Santa Monica. Definately one thing that I miss about LA.

Jan 25, 06 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i love zip!!! the rich and famous roll, the yahoo roll, the baked salmon roll!!!

Jan 25, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

This is how I plan to return to LA:

"The most famous picture at Philippe's: this train almost stopped in for a french dip sandwich. Philippe's was located right across the street, about 1940." link

Jan 28, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

g-
When you do return don't forget to get that sandwich "double dipped."

Jan 28, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ah yes! Good idea. Though I think I'll be in for breakfast. I should just stick it out until lunch.

Jan 28, 06 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

you could always get a pickled egg to save for later. Or better yet, get breakfast at Philipes then got to the Pantry for lunch.

Jan 28, 06 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

"The classic Jewish deli is an endangered species in LA. You can get a pastrami sandwich or a corned beef on rye just about anywhere, but most are pale shadows of the real thing. Authentic delis serve a richer, better product, and are worth going well out of your way to experience. One of the best is in a very unlikely neighborhood at Seventh and Alvarado. Langer's was established in 1947 when this was a Jewish neighborhood, and has stayed exactly the same even as the surrounding area became predominately Hispanic."

Jan 28, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

this talk about food is making me hungry for some Taco Bell

Jan 28, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

tacos por favor on olympic and 16th in santa monica!

Jan 28, 06 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Langer's is very tasty indeed. I'm also a fan of the pastrami on rye at Stroh's in Venice. Fish tacos at El Siete Mares (sp? seven seas, but in Spanish.) Several locations throughout Eastern LA. (with an orange bang!)

While we're on the topic, anyone else disappointed by Roscoe's? I wasn't really all that impressed, decent waffles to be sure, but pretty mediocre chicken.

Jan 28, 06 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

agree on langer's. fish tacos at el siete is good too. try the al pastor at tacos por favor...heaven!

yes, roscoe's is really weak. the chicken is boney and underwhelming. i don't even care much for their waffles.

Jan 28, 06 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Get the weekend chicken special at the San Pedro/Washington Taco King. Decent horchata too.

Jan 28, 06 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
maxwonder

My favorite Mexican places are,

1. Tacos Por Favor on east side of Olympic and 14th street right arcoss from the park, they make the best spinach burritos and the another great thing about this place is that it is family run, the same 3 or 4 family members work there Monday through Saturday support local business (I hope they still own it, its been 2 years since I move away)!!

2. Poqito Mas on Westwood Blvd. and Olympic (in the shopping center next to Blockbuster Video) they make homemade corn tortillas for their tacos. They also make homemade flour tortillas but corn is so much better! And they have great fresh pico de gallo, dam I miss this place!

3. Wahoos Fish Tacos on Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica., they have what else great flamebroiled fish tacos served with white rice and black beams and their beer of the month is only $1.50 put a lime on that Tecate for me!

Dam,I miss the taco circuit in LA

Jan 28, 06 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
maxwonder

Hey geezopeez, I just read you response did Tacos Por Favor move? Up the street on Olympic and 16th was another Mexican place, I haven't been there in two years so maybe things changed.

Jan 28, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

nah, tacos por favor didn't move...it's on olympic at 14th. i was just there yesterday and i parked my car on 16th so i had 16th street on my mind.

Jan 28, 06 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bula
Taco Mesa

...30 min. south of LA on 19th st. in Costa Mesa you can find some of the best Mexican food outside of Mexico. Super fresh seafood entrees seam to always be on hand along with ever changing daily soup and entrée specials. Had the 2 salmon taco combo and lobster bisque soup a few days ago....delish! Enviroment: A scrapy hole in the wall atmosphere where hispanic day workers sit side by side with surf rats & bsn. professionals.

Jan 29, 06 3:02 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

speaking of tacos, where can i get the best tacos al pastor in the l.a. area? i've had a craving ever since i got back from mexico city for some good tacos al pastor... mmm.... al pastor... agghhh....

Jan 30, 06 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Allegria on Sunset in Silverlake. Worth the hype, better than Mexico City hands down! (the restaurant Mexico City in Los Feliz, not that place in Mexico.)

Check out This American Life for episode 110. There's a story about someone who tried to eat at all of the restaurants on Pico. (the rest of the episode is good too.)

Jan 30, 06 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

a local blogging couple here in ABQ is trying to eat at every restaurant on Central Ave this year; Central & Pico are both about 15 miles long.

Jan 30, 06 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez
http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/
Jan 30, 06 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

alegria on sunset has gentrified crappy mexican food....you got the hype part right though...

Jan 30, 06 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

If you Los Angelenos ever find yourself in the big city of Boron and have a hankering for quality Mexican, I highly recommend Domingo's. The delightful Sunday brunch is only exceeded by the fact it is located on 20 Mule Team Road, and decorated with giant glossy photos of the many competing visions for the Joint Strike fighter.

Jan 30, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: