Archinect
anchor

Gray hair is the sign of hard work.

some person

Is it common for architects to go gray faster than the "normal" population?

I discovered my first gray hair while sitting in math class during my junior year of high school. It's been an uphill battle ever since.

Are we destined to keep the hair salons in business indefinitely?

Jan 20, 06 10:20 pm
A Center for Ants?

i measure it by the number of empty coke cans on my desk. or just the amount of crappy food i eat:

today's casualties:

5 cokes
4 cups of coffee
1/2 bag of tostitos gold
1 candy cane
1 double hamburger from McD's
1 double 1/4 #'er from McD's
1 large fry from McD's...

someone wanna count up the calories for me?

Jan 20, 06 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Hmm... I don't think so. I have always thought that if I could have more grey hair I'd look older and so be taken seriously/seem more authoritative. I noticed my first grey hair when I was 27, but more than 10 years later I still don't have enough to be noticeable.

Jan 20, 06 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
some person

You're lucky, Formerlyunknown. My gray is currently increasing at approximately 10% per year. Perhaps I'll be registered by the time I'm 100% gray.

Jan 20, 06 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

Atleast you guys have grey hair.

I have been fighting my balding since I was 18.

I keep it nice and short and it seems to help out and let people take me more seriously.

Bald is beautiful.

Jan 20, 06 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
some person

A co-worker once claimed that his baldness was the result of much leaning over his drafting table with his hand on his forehead - a symptom only found in architects.

Jan 20, 06 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
e

i'm fine with my gray hair, and i have lots of it. i'm just thankful there's no balding or receeding.

Jan 21, 06 12:26 am  · 
 · 

Yep you are lucky.

One of my friends had a $13k hair transplant and it looks great but Im not going to spend $13k on my hair.

Jan 21, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 
e

naw, i wouldn't either. if i started to lose mine, i'd just go kojak.

Jan 21, 06 1:15 am  · 
 · 
joe

yes, bald is beautiful. fuck 13k. I spend a much more negligable amount on razors.

Jan 21, 06 3:02 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

studio causes grey hair, mine right now looks like squirrel pelt.

Jan 21, 06 7:51 am  · 
 · 
Emerson123

I started going grey when I was 12. I died my hair until I was 24, and decided to see what it actually looks like. I'm out there, now, and proud. But I have so much, almost as much as my parents and they are 57.

Anyone else have people not believe you when you tell them your grey hair is natural?

Jan 21, 06 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

My dad is bald. I think my hair is starting to recede. I think I will Bic it when the time comes, but I think I have a weird shaped head for the total bladness. It's fine with hair, but you know what I mean.

Jan 21, 06 9:27 am  · 
 · 

Just trim it really short and try not to stay super white and you will look fine.

The biggest thing is not staying super white as in your skin color.

Jan 21, 06 9:29 am  · 
 · 
trace™

It's all genes. I don't buy that it comes from your mother's father (can't be sure, as I never met him).

I wish I could get my skin color darker, but it's next to impossible for me. 30 minutes in the Denver sun and I burn.

I've got my fingers crossed for the day when someone can inject me with some nice tanning genes.

Jan 21, 06 10:30 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

baldness not otherwise caused by stress is from your mother's side of the family, not necessarily from your grandfather. If you want to see what your hair will look like in your 30's or 40's and so on, look at you mother's brothers, and that would be the answer.

Jan 21, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
garpike

A Center For The Ants, you consumed roughly:

fat: 111g
calories: 3055

note: I wasn't sure if you had cheese on your burgers, so I did not include it.

Jan 21, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 

My mothers brother has great hair and he is 40!!

Im 23 and bald.

Jan 21, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 
mad+dash

sorry to hear that, but it must be another recessive gene from your mom's side. Hair loss does come from your mother's side.

Jan 21, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
e

yeah, i don't buy that either JdesP. my mother's brother was pretty bald in in his 40s. i'm almost 40 with a full head of grey hair.

i also have on spot in the front on my head about an 1.5" around that is pure gray. started to develop in my early 20s. i get a look of disbelief from some women when i tell them it is real. like i would dye it that way? i've heard some say that if you have one you may see ghosts. whatever. i've never seen a ghost.

Jan 21, 06 11:55 am  · 
 · 
garpike

e, I heard a reverse. I heard that seeing a ghost will cause a grey spot. There is actually some truth to that. A sudden scare can cause a temporary grey spot - or I even heard total grey.

I say:
Gray hair is the sign of genetics hard at work.

Jan 21, 06 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

from this:

"In the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal, 1851, is reported a case of a man thirty years old, whose hair 'was scared' white in a day by a grizzly bear. He was sick in a mining camp, was left alone, and fell asleep. On waking he found a grizzly bear standing over him.

"A second case is that of a man of twenty-three years who was gambling in California. He placed his entire savings of $1100 on the turn of a card. He was under tremendous nervous excitement while the cards were being dealt. The next day his hair was perfectly white.

"In the same article is the statement that the jet-black hair of the Pacific Islanders does not turn gray gradually, but when it does turn it is sudden, usually the result of fright or sudden emotions."

How the heck does it turn over night???

Jan 21, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

I went to an all boys high school where much conversation in our biology course was devoted to what would happen to us as we got older. it was one of the few things I remember from high school because it scared many of us to the point of shitting peaches. I know I am right despite what you guys mught say. Is science one hundred percent foolproof?...no. there are many cases for your situations, and the roles your particular genes have.

Jan 21, 06 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

"Shitting peaches"! Ha ha I never heard that! Good stuff.

Jan 21, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Almost forgot. My uncle's hair turned considerably whiter while recovering from a heart attack.

Stress sucks.

Jan 21, 06 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
e

yuck, shitting peaches? now that might give anyone gray hair.

hmmm, i'll have to think about what might have caused the spot now.

Jan 21, 06 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

continual stress will certainly make your head go white. look at every president of the u.s. before and after their term.

Jan 21, 06 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

True. I saw something about that on tv. The show morphed the presidents before and after. The eyes showed aging that appeared much longer than their terms. Hairand eyes are one thing. The brain after presidency is another.

e, it's ironic that John Henson on E! has a spot. Wait, is that you?? Ha ha.

Jan 21, 06 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

it's an expression e and garpike. I think I've heard it in over a dozen movies.

Jan 21, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
e

nope not me

Jan 21, 06 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

That spot is kind of cool!

Jan 21, 06 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

it's bigger now as well as my hair being grayer all around. that photo is a couple of years old.

Jan 21, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Over the past year or so I've noticed an increasing presence of gray hair on the sides of my head, giving it sort of a managerial salt-and-pepper look.

One day in NYC while getting a haircut, my barber commented, "Oh you are getting a lot of gray hairs. You must be under a lot of stress." I then screamed, tore my shirt off, and then ran to the corner of the babershop where I cried for an hour.

Jan 21, 06 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just noticed the other day, with great alarm, that my pubic hair is turning gray! i got to quit working soooo hard.

Jan 21, 06 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

I guess I am lazy - yeah, I am - but the hair looks great!

Jan 21, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
e

all in good time dazed. all in good time.

Jan 21, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

garpike, you must be soooo bored sitting at home with that leg up that you have time to calculate ACfA's caloric intake. Bless you for that - what will we do when you are back on your feet and stop posting?

e, when I first saw that pic on the "...look like" thread I wondered if that was a spot or a trick of the sunlight. I think it's very cool...reminds me of a kid I knew with brown hair and a dark black spot in it. Also very cool - in his case it coincided with a mole on his scalp.

I went grey in undergrad as did my father and sister. Concentrated mostly along the part. My crazy redhead status is purely due to chemicals.

Jan 21, 06 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

lb, yes.

Jan 21, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

I was at dim sum with my parents & sister (with nephifies in tow) and noticed everyone was showing significant greying, at least 30%.

Now I have a few things in my favour 1. i'm the youngest 2. i have barely any hair on my head 3. thinning of the hair assists item 2; 4. the genes skipped a generation with me.

Mar 11, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
n_

im 23 and greying. hell yea.

Mar 11, 07 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Wow...just this week, I was considering reviving this thread. Thanks techno.

I'm debating whether or not to just let my gray hair grow out. Would I appear to be more mature and authoritative? Or would I just look unkempt?

Today I took a visual sample of women who have gray hair. I determined that very few have pure white hair. Many have skraggly salt-n-pepper hair that only looks good short (think Anderson Cooper). There's no guarantee that it would grow out in a nice pattern/distribution.

So, I bought another box of hair dye today. Since my original post over a year ago, I've realized that it's more economical to do the box vs. the salon. The salon services are only good if you get highlights. Which are way too expensive.

I go under the bottle in t-minus 51 minutes.

Mar 11, 07 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

lol

oddly enough I am looking forward to going full grey, the salt & pepper doesn't suit me. But we'll see

Mar 11, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DCA, we could talk all night about this! I turn 40 this year and am contemplating two options: cut my hair to 1/2" all over and let the natural grey live happily (at this point I'm probably 90% grey along my part line and around 50% grey on the rest of my head), or start going to a salon every two weeks to get blonde highlights to camouflage the grey.

Of course, the truth is I don't have either money or time for the salon option. It also feels a little too mainstream to me, as all the 40yo women I know seem to get the blonde highlights for exactly this reason. And though I had the 1/2" buzz cut for several years (starting when I turned 30) I love having red curls - a friend of mine once said cutting curly hair short is "just a waste of natural resources".

So most likely I'll stick with the current scheme of mixing a red and a dark brown bottle of temporary color and applying every week - often on Sunday nights so I'm fresh for the work week ahead!

When I'm 50 though I plan to be one of those women with spiky bright silver grey. Check back with me in ten years and see if I stick to it!

Mar 11, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
some person

yeah, the Sunday night routine works well for me. too. I also figure that it is less noticeable if my co-workers can have the weekend to "forget" what my color was on Friday.

From what I've seen in photos, the red/brown curls work well for you, liberty bell. I'd shy away from the very short hair... remember, the short salt and pepper only seems to work for Anderson...

Am I just kidding myself - does every woman dye her hair? Or are there some who keep their natural color well into their 30's and 40's?

Mar 11, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

I've always thought that if a women dyes her hair, why limit yourself to what you were born with add to the palette. Either way both of you are beautiful enough to pull it off.

okay there's my compliment of the week.

Mar 11, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yes, DCA, every woman dyes her hair.

No not really. But most of us. Seriously.

Maybe I'll do the Denise Scott Brown ruffled grey look later on in my life - she pulls it off very well.

architechno, I love when Asian women go blonde - I've always thought that was such an unnatural but beautiful look!

Mar 11, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Emmylou Harris has long, beautiful grey/white hair. Don't know if she dyes it that way or not, though.

Mar 12, 07 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I started going grey at 20. Now, at 26, I only have a handful of random greys on my head. When I use product in my hair, the greys appear darker and blend in with the rest, making it virtually impossible to notice. Recently, I shaved my head with a 1/2" guard on the clippers. After doing this I realized #1) I no longer need to use product in my hair, and #2) while my hair behaves quite well and tends not to "fro-out," the hand full of greys like to stick up, calling attention to themselves. I feel it is only a matter of time before I attack them with the tweezers!

Mar 12, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I guess if gray hair is a sign of hard work, then no hair is a sign of no work.

Mar 12, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

thanks to the NYtimes for this article on the state-of-the-art baldcare products.

Now everybody, repeat after me:

'I won't grow a combover,
I won't grow a combover,
I won't grow a combover,
I won't grow a combover,
I won't grow a combover,
I won't grow a combover,
...'

Mar 12, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: