Archinect
anchor

What does your office dress like?

some person

I started a new job this week and found that the entire office is a walking Banana Republic / J. Crew ad. Luckily I paid attention during my interview and nailed the look on my first day.

What does YOUR office dress like?

Nov 23, 05 9:06 pm
Hasselhoff

What do people typically wear to interviews are achitecture firms? Is it based on the culture of the firm or do most wear the standard suit?

Nov 23, 05 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I walked in on my office dressed up like a girl. Very disturbing.

Nov 24, 05 12:21 am  · 
 · 
stone

we dress ... and work ... like architects !

Nov 24, 05 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

We dress like royalty.

Nov 24, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

we dress like were going to the construction site at any time, sometimes u see really funny hats

Nov 24, 05 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

jeans and LAMB OF GOD under my "buttonup" collar shirt

Nov 24, 05 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
poly

everything from nightwear to sports wear to mountaineering gear to khakhis ...

Nov 25, 05 2:03 am  · 
 · 

hahaha... I'm with you on that StudioWookie, although I typcially have my AC/DC shirt on under my buttonup.

Nov 25, 05 6:53 am  · 
 · 
file

Nov 25, 05 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
rigor mortis

tsk.tsk.tsk. what a nightmare!

Nov 25, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
file

rm ... it was a JOKE

Nov 25, 05 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
fminor

If your worried about office fashion you may have selected the wrong career.

Dec 4, 05 3:49 am  · 
 · 

file don't scare me like that!

Depends on the day - mostly khakis and button downs, sharp enough for meetings with clients, rough enough to handle the work site

Dec 4, 05 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

jeffrey:
I don't know what career you are thinking of because architects are about as fashion contious as they come...and thats just the straight ones...

Dec 4, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

jeans, buttoned shirt tennis shoes.

Dec 4, 05 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

t-shirts, sneakers, hip "sneakers", pants, rarely do you see jeans though. Aparently jeans are not very cool.

Dec 4, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
norm

our office dresses like an 1800's mill building, with solar panels as a hat.

Dec 5, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

think "saved by the bell"

that's not what our office dresses like

but it's about all i can say, i don't know crap about clothes. my wife will ask me what someone was wearing and i won't for the life of me be able to remember. i can't even remember what i wear from day to day

i do know that geez, clothes sucked back then

Dec 5, 05 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
sunburntkamel

verrrry metrosexual.

Dec 7, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

norm, can I apply there? That rocks!

Dec 7, 05 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

my boss...

me...

Dec 7, 05 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

We aren't allowed to wear ties to work. I mean, its not like you would get repremanded or something if you did, but my boss thinks that our lack of ties makes us less intimidating and more down to earth. Our clients hate seeing a bunch of "suits" toiling away at the drawing boards.

Dec 8, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

fight the power

Dec 8, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

our intern

Dec 8, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

wow - THOSE shoes might make me forego my via spiga boots for awhile.

Dec 8, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

those are real practical with that recent indy weather lb.

Dec 8, 05 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Honestly, I'd walk in the snow in those before I'd let a flake touch my via spigas. Frostbite be damned, it's all about keeping pretty boots pretty.

Dec 8, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

those are pretty boots by the way!

Dec 8, 05 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
e

slippers. slippers are the footwear of this office.

Dec 8, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dec 8, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

lb by the way i checked out your via spigas and them be some expensive kicks you got.

Dec 8, 05 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I buy 'em on sale. That's the only way an architect can afford them.

(I love men who will talk about shoes with women - did we stumble into that "best pick up lines" thread?)

Back to topic -

Self-employed doing mostly residential work: in this snowy cold winter weather, I almost daily wear decent newish jeans, a turtleneck, gorgeous boots, and my vintage Superman belt buckle. Plus various cool accessories: scarf, handmade jewelry, worn-in leather jacket, etc. In my opinion, it's important for the architect to be the most stylish person at the meeting. Not necessarily expensively dressed, which is usually not possible for architects, but the most stylish.

That being said, my partner almost exclusively wears Armani. He's always the best dressed person in the room. Damn him ;)

Dec 8, 05 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

here he comes now!!!

Dec 8, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dec 8, 05 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just went to some fancy schmancy restaurant in Chicago (Moto its called - it was actually wonderful but a little precious). When I made the reservation I asked what attire was appropriate? The answer: "business casual - or we like to say 'smart casual' ".

I'm an idiot, but I can dress casually too!!

Dec 8, 05 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

anybody else remember that old archinect thread where frank gehry asked for fashion tips about updating his wardrobe and he was inundated with suggestions ostensibly poached from the international male catalog?

i'm pretty sure that was the definitive thread on architecture fashion.

Dec 8, 05 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Is that really Armani? Wearing Sans-A-Belt trousers?!?

Dec 8, 05 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

as for vado's intern, i once worked in an office where a guy had an intern who came pretty close to dressing like that vic's secret model. she worked part-time while going to school at boston u. and she always showed up at the office dressed like a rock-n-roll groupie, skin tight leather pants, high heels, fur coats, etc.

one day, me & the boys are hanging out in the break room when rock-n-roll groupie girl walks in wearing one of her bosses oversized promo golf shirts because her top was "too tight to type in"...one of the funniest things i've ever heard.

moreover, this was a rather conservative office where all the men were required to wear jackets & ties during business hours so the contrast with her dress was just surreal. i remember several of the men saying that they had ought to sue her for sexual harrassment for dressing so provocatively in that stifling environment.

Dec 8, 05 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dec 8, 05 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That's hilarious puddles - and might be a good excuse to use often: "Sorry, I can't CAD today, this shirt is too tight!"

Dec 8, 05 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sorry can't type today

Dec 9, 05 12:01 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

that office was a real trip...loads of good stories. but to clarify, it wasn't an architects office, but was one of the financial sales firms i worked for out east. it was loaded with interesting characters and if we were sitting on barstools with the appropriate drinks in hand i would be having a very good time sharing those stories while imitating the various south shore accents that many of these people had...too bad i got a late start on brunch again today and will now have to stay in the office for a while...maybe i'll drink anyhow.

Dec 9, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

Unser Casual Freitag

Dec 9, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's a friday afternoon right before the holidays, puddles, I'll be disappointed if you're not drinking within the half hour late brunch or not!

Dec 9, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

dammit now I'm highjacking again. Ummm, on topic, on topic...ummm, suits! I still wear a suit whenever I go to a conference or important meeting!! Suits always make you look ready.

Dec 9, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

apprentice cast offs and their power suits...

Dec 9, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That's the power undersuit, vado. All women wear them under their power suits. Honestly.

Dec 9, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

puddles don't you guys where footie pajama's @ the PE?

Dec 9, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'll have to take your word for it, lb.

Dec 9, 05 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Dec 9, 05 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: