Archinect
anchor

skyscraper competition - what do they want?

Arild

that skyscraper competition at >> http://www.evolo-arch.com/

Sep 21, 05 9:11 am
ochona

perhaps it's not the intent that offices, per se, enter. sounds like this is more of a competition for questions than answers. i mean that in a good way.

when i was at som they had an observation about competitions ... if you win 1 out of every 10 you enter that's good. not open competitions, invited competitions. you have to be very naive or very desperate to enter an open competition with the intention of winning.

i think most people who enter competitions (esp students, young firms, etc) do it more for the rush, the experience, and the boost to one's portfolio and design confidence. don't ever bank on making money off of a competition. there was a thread about this...

Sep 21, 05 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

is it even legit?

Sep 21, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Sep 21, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

"jury to be announced"...

hmm, gotta wonder if they're using the entry fees to finance the jackpot...

Sep 21, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Arild

well, i think it just seems as if they are out to exploit young people with both a very interesting brief and a "jury to be announced". and the self-sufficient housing competition for instance seemed much more the way to do it. its a bit wrong that the only ones having to spend money is the ones participating. the ones generating the discussion. or comes up with the questions.

Sep 21, 05 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
post-it

did anyone see the competition's original post? I'm almost positive the jury was posted. 3 or 4 recent columbia graduates (2004) which are nolonger on the web page. Did anyone else see this? The whole premise/structure of the competition does seem flawed--in more ways than one. I totally agree with Arild--for the scope of such a competition given the complexity of the building type--the reward and lack of clarity of who is judging the submissions makes it seems unprofessional.

Sep 22, 05 2:18 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

mmhh i know one of the guys behind the competiton, legal guy, mexican born columbia educated, he's actually teh co-teacher with Lise AnnCouture at Columbia (his name Fernando Velasco) and he is still project architect at ASYMPTOTE... mmhh the other guys yeah all recent grad of Columbia but dont really know them...but Fernando is a legal guy and i think their intention w/the competition is more directed to students and/or young professionals in order to generate new discussions debates around the skyscraper theme.... who knows what will go out of this....

Sep 22, 05 6:59 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

and i love those 2 legit 2 quit t.shirts!!!!!!!!!...where can i buyu them????!!!!

Sep 22, 05 7:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: