Archinect
anchor

Undergrad programs

vbontu12

What are some state schools with good architecture programs. My test scores and portfolio are alright so I'm looking for easier programs to get into if I don't get into my top choices.

Aug 11, 05 11:47 am
AP
UF
Aug 12, 05 8:53 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Georgia Tech?
Don't know if it's all that easy to get into...like UF, heh, heh Aaron.

Aug 12, 05 8:56 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

I might not be that easy to get into state-funded schools, unless you're a resident of that state. Most of state schools have to have certain percentage of students from within its state, so sometimes it's even harder to get into than those well-known ivy schools.
Anyway, here's a list of schools that I think they are good;
Michigan
Illinois (UIUC)
UC Berkeley
... isn't Georgia Tech private? I dunno.

man, I think that's all I can think of. Keep that in mind that these are state schools but NOT easy to get into.

Aug 12, 05 9:14 am  · 
 · 
db

Virginia (also NOT that easy to get into)

but the obvious question is -- what state are you in?

nearly all states have a state school that offers architecture, some of which are fairly decent but rarely make it onto the 'a' or even 'b' lists more out of lack of visibility than lack of quality. Arkansas and Tennessee come to mind in this regard.

Aug 12, 05 9:21 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Fulcrum,
GA Tech's a state school...at least it was 15yrs ago. if you want 'state' tuition costs, you have to live in GA for one continuous year to be considered a resident...that's how it was 15yrs ago. Excuse me, I've gotta check my mail from AARP, now.

Aug 12, 05 9:30 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

BTW, I think very highly of Univ of FLA's Arch school.

Aug 12, 05 9:31 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya...

I didn't mean to suggest that the UF is easy to get into...my bad.

it's not.

Aug 12, 05 10:26 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I didn't wanna suggest that either. I was just pullin' an old (maybe 'dated') mini-rivalry.
Hey Aaron, is UF 4+2, or 5yr BArch? I always forget.

Aug 12, 05 10:48 am  · 
 · 
AP

MM, 4 + 2...

but, j is right, after "lower division" (design studios 1 through 4) there is a pin-up process. There are 96 spots in "upper division" (design studios 5 through 8) and usually about 130+/- UF students apply for upper division.

UF also allows other approved 2 year arch programs (such as those at other universities or community colleges) to pin-up on a seperate day. Typically 4 or 5 of these students (out of a whole bunch) get in, sometimes more. Some of these other programs have professors that are UF alums.

Of the UF students who don't get in...most change majors, some fight for another year and try again (usually succeeding, in some cases being at the top of their new class).

Aug 12, 05 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Nicoli

Tech's program doesnt have you apply for arch until after the first year (havent heard of anyone who didnt get into the program that passed their first year courses). you dont need a portfolio when you apply to the university. the first year is a general design/media studies with arch, Industrial Design, and Building construction in the same studios/classes.

out of state tuition is about 20k a year which is actually somewhat inexpensive as far as state schools go. I think u mich was about 30 when i applied to it a few years back.

Aug 12, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
adrienne

for undergrad, you might want to think about Catholic U. in DC. It isn't a state school, but they give pretty much everyone a scholarship. The university itself is sorta crummy, but the architecture school has a good program and facilities. They start you out as a freshman too, which is both good and bad...oh and they also have some good study abroad opportunities.

Aug 12, 05 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
JK664

the uf pin-up was intense this year. it is a great opurtunity to learn of graphically composing a great presentation of your work. plus seeing the uf top ten's work is always phenominal. aaron were u there for this years pin ups?

Aug 12, 05 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya

Aug 12, 05 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
veuxdeux

Oklahoma State University, you can get in easy. Good school. nothin else to do, so lots of time to focus on school, should be pretty cheap even for out of state

Aug 12, 05 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
kazbot

penn state.
consistantly one of the best mid-east schools, 5 year program, theory-based, semester in rome 4th year, brand new building/facilities (which are supposedly gorgeous) consistant faculty (as in most live there, are true 'townies', not a lot of visiting profs) annual competitions starting in 2nd year. a few scholarships available. great architectural history and arts theory faculty that work with the school.
state college (the town) is alright, it grows on you, its kind of nice and boring when you have a lot of work to do, but in no way is there nothing to do.
its still a part of penn state, so thats something to consider. its a very small, insulated program in a huge university well known for deteriorating football and binge drinking, but its also in a huge university that offers amazing resources and an extremely diverse program of studies. in case you dont want to be an architect.
to qualify for in state tuition, you need to be a resident (live for at least a year, have an address there, pay pa tax, etc.) its really cheap to live there.
hard to get in, but lots of way to give it a second try. it was an amazing education though, even if all i learned was how to think.

Aug 12, 05 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

the university of michigan offers a lot of prizes so if you want to impress rem that might be a good place to start.

Aug 12, 05 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
JK664

i pinned up this year from fau but last minute made the decision to go to sci-arc. although i love g-vegas (gainsville) uf's program is off the hook...

Aug 13, 05 8:22 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

Someone mentioned Tennessee. It is a good program, and I would go onto to agree that a schoo like Tennessee,because it is not as popular or known about, won't be heard of much; however, it does have a very good program. I know a lot of people that have gone there and go to work for good firms in the South which regard it as a fine place to get students.
I got into graduate school there, but decided to go to the University of Houston's school-it is not heard of much either because it is overshadowed by Rice;however, these two schools do a lot of work together within the Rice Design Alliance. Also, professors at Rice teach studios at UH and vice versa and usually professors are jurors for mid and term reviews.
Possibly something to consider is what kind of architect you want to be. If where you go based on EGO and determining your self worth, or are you content with getting a good education from a regional program and go and do good work with a firm? A lot of your choice, in my opinion, should be about personal goals and not some list that says what school is better than another.
I would say also that one thing that might separate a top school from a normal one are the contacts you will have and also the competition between students. At a less prestigious school, students might not be as competitve which might not push you as much if you're not self motivated as opposed to a place that is a fight for the best. Anyhow, that is my two cents

Aug 13, 05 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

UF. best kept secret.

Aug 13, 05 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
AP

heck ya...

to refer to the 'renderings' thread, Larry Scarpa (pugh + scarpa) is a UF alumni. Woohoo!

Aug 13, 05 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: