Archinect
anchor

boy names

lifeform

i know this has been doen here before, but my last name is not stark.
His middle name is going to be Adrian (from family).
We have a shortlist of boy first names that we like, but i would love to get archinecters impressions.

first choice: Tristan
second choice: Luca

whenever i tell people we are thinking of calling him Tristan i get a fake smail and a blank stare.

is it really that bad?

Jan 17, 05 7:49 pm
meversusyou

i am going to name my cat willaby or newton. my parents and i believe if the name works for a cat, it will work for a baby.
thats why my name is luigi.

Jan 17, 05 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

Tristan...I'm not really a fan of...Sorry

Jan 17, 05 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

you're going to have to find him an Isolda

Jan 17, 05 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Whenever I think of Tristan, I am reminded of the 1970's British Sitcom "George & Mildred", who had stuck-up, stiff-lipped neighbours who had an unfortunate little brat called Tristan.

However, I am not sure if you recieved this show in the US, where I assume you are from, so you will not of had this bad association.

Obviously I dont know your last name, but Luca Adrian has a better ring than the alternative.

Having recently gone through naming for a boy, I understand how hard it can be.

Jan 17, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

sorry again..not a big fan of tristan - when i hear this name, i get the image of a pompous frat-boy - i dont know why...even though i dont know of anyone named tristan.

Luca sounds like a real good name, actually - but is it a boy name???

Jan 17, 05 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

these days, it doesnt matter if it is a boy or a girl name...
tristan is a very unique name, and it would hold up today. hell, didnt gweneth paltrow and chris martin name their kid apple or something?

btw, i visualized a boy name tristan picking truffles from the forest and skipping around in his little red ascot.

may you have a masculine child!

Jan 17, 05 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
plainjane

i vote for Luca

Jan 17, 05 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I like Tristan, had a good friend in high school by that name. But a warging he was always refered to as "cracker boy, " becuase of the Tristan = Triscut thing and he was indeed a cracker, in the Dave Chappell sense of the word.

Jan 17, 05 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

then i vote again for luca

Jan 17, 05 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

I like Luca better, but I don't think it flows very well with adrian.

Jan 17, 05 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
TED

i think we need the surname to properly responde.

maybe as stark found out-- play it safe just incase what you think is a boy is a girl [little wienies fool most all the time].

do a girly boy name or boyly girl name. why not adrian as a first name?

doesnt anyone name thier kids saint names anymore? what about going to hell and all that. st. luca exist. st. tristen [yet to be identified, perhaps your tristen will be that saint!]

Jan 17, 05 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
aml

luca will be find until the next time that song comes around...

my name is luca
i live on the second floor
i live upstairs from you
yes i think you've seen me before

imygosh i can't believe i remember the lyrics.... i often wonder what percentage of my brain is crowded with useless lyrics from songs i don't even like....

Jan 17, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
aml

ps. for those too young to know: luca's parents beat him up. that's what the song is about.

although it's not a bad name, just thought i'd mention it.

Jan 17, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

the first thing i thought of with tristan was triscuit..don't know
why...that or something beige...tartan perhaps?...
luca...i guess my second question (to what your surname
is) would be...what nationality are you...or does that not
matter?

i think i like luca better..but does that have a close association
to lucas..ie the mid eighties movie?...or luca brazzi..the hired
killer in the godfather?

Jan 17, 05 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

Personally, If you're going to name him tristan, he'd better be thick-skinned. I think he will be picked on quite a bit. I agree with meversusyou, it's a little feminine.

Luca is ok, but it's becoming very trendy. I have two friends that have named their son's luca in the past two years, and former employer's dog's name is luca. I like the name, but your son might have 4 other "luca's" in his class.

yes, tristan is that bad.

Jan 18, 05 12:00 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think tristan is better than luca.

but i also think that naming children before they have really established any sort of personality is weird too.

Jan 18, 05 1:13 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

I think Luca Adrian is more feminine that Tristan. Tristan is a knight as well as a romantic sap and Luca ends in an ‘a’ that usually signifies a woman’s name (as opposed to Lucas or Luke).
Not that feminine is bad. There is always that heart-warming Johnny Cash song……

Jan 18, 05 1:37 am  · 
 · 
threshold

Stephanie,

How would you refer to your child until he/she was several years old and you were able to assign a name?

Jan 18, 05 7:39 am  · 
 · 
Suture

Maybe you should just call him Trista and dress him in a pink tutu...
...not that there is anything wrong with that.

you should not be having kids if all you plan to do is torture them with awful names. I hope that along with the family name Adrian, that the boy inherits a stiff lower jaw and upper lip because with a bunch of pansy of names he will need it at school. Tristian Adrian = instant bully target

Jan 18, 05 8:31 am  · 
 · 
A

Are you Italian? If so I like Luca but if not why not just go with Luke? Both names are fine but ethnic. Makes me wonder if there is some reason?

I think these days people worry too much about picking a cool or trendy name. Think about what would work well when the kid grows up and is in the professional world. Names like 'Sunshine' just don't work too well when you want to be taken seriously.

Jan 18, 05 8:56 am  · 
 · 
Brim

Tristan sounds feminie. Luca is a good stronger name.

We named our 3rd child Lucas. We thought about Luca but we wanted a name more recognizeable as masculine (Luca is boy or girl name, depending what country you're in, adding an s on the end made it a boy's name).

I personally thought of Miles, Mies, or Oscar...my wife nixed all three of those. Miles would have been cool. Or even Mies (no reference to the architect - just liked the name).

My other two kids are Julia & Alexandro (we call him Alex).
My name is Xavier (pronuouced Ha-V-Air).

Good luck.

Jan 18, 05 9:08 am  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

Growing up my older brother had a friend named Gianluca... and I didn't know him very well, but his name has always stuck in my mind, because I liked it... it's a slightly more butch alternative ;)

Jan 18, 05 9:39 am  · 
 · 
newstreamlinedmodel

We shouldn’t get to hug up on this gendering project. Remember that Stacy is a baseball slugger and Tracy is a hard-boiled detective. To me Adrain sounds like a suave European corporate raider or else a cocky yet slightly fey café racer, lady-killer type. That’s just me though.

Jan 18, 05 10:44 am  · 
 · 
lifeform

- thanks for all your comments -
we have both romanian and belgian roots. Adrian is a special name to us but cannot be used as the first name because the namesake is still alive (slight superstition).
my last name is super generic so that is why we were trying to find something more unique (i dont care if it is or isnt trendy) for the first name.
maybe some more context. we live in toronto, which is a very culturally diverse city, so there are plently of people with unique names wandering around. he wont be the only one. this picture that everyone is painting of a kid being bullied in the playground sounds more like a whitebread suburban condition, which he will not be in.
what about these:
Oliver
Kieran
Sebastian

Jan 18, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Oliver is one of my favorites for my hypothetical kid, but my husband says NO WAY!

Jan 18, 05 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
A

I like Keegan.
Have you thought about Bruce? Now that's a bully name.

Jan 18, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

you need to give those names a little spice.
try adding post- or neo- to the begining or an -ism to the end or a combination of both
-postluca
-neoluca
-lucaism
-tristanism <--this is a good one
-postristan
-postneotristanism
-neolucaism
not only a name but a totally sweet movement to follow.

Jan 18, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
e

to pick up on stephanie's point of it being weird to name your children before they have really established any sort of personality. my brother in law gave his child a nick name before his son was born. how weird is that? not to mention it is the same nick name his uncle has who he had no association with, who was part of the chilean army during pinochet's control of the country, and who has horrible relations with all of his daughters because he is a sexist. why would you do that?

Jan 18, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

not a big fan of tristian, but i don't know where you live. if in the u.s. parents should think about what the child is going to endure with that name. my father was given the name ivey. he was relentlessly teased as a child. oh, don't touch him. he has poison ivey. gross. stay away from him. kids can be cruel.

Jan 18, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
.ml

Luca is a girl name in my country.

I like Tristan. The noise one. It is dynamic and remember me the dadaist Tristan Tzara. But Tristan Adrian and Luca Adrian doesn't sounds good to me. Maybe choose the third choice.

Jan 18, 05 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I don't like either Tristan Adrian or Luca Adrian either. Sorry. But it's not my kid, it's yours.

Oliver Adrian is nice.

Story time: About wierd nicknames that don't belong, my beloved grandmother was known by everyone and I mean everyone (!) as long as I can remember as Mor-Mor, the swedish way to say grandmother (mother's mother). She died 15 years ago or so and my aunt became a grandmother herself about 8 years ago. She gave herself the nickname Mor-Mor! No one else calls her that, especially her grandkids who never even knew the real Mor-Mor. It made me really really uspet when I first heard it, and I make a scrunched up sad confused face whenever I hear her say it.

Jan 18, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

AND HE SHALL BE CALL "ARCHINECT!"

Jan 18, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

Kieran, Tristan -they don't work because they are about as long as Adrian and they end in "an"
But I like Sebastian, and I think Luca is really nice.
you need something shorther:
Radu
Anton
Cosmin
Dorin
Gabriel
Ovidiu

Jan 18, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Funny, I have been making a name list lately and Sebastien is at the top, with Kieran and Luca in there as well... I love the nickname Seb (lived in France for a while and it's very common). Tristan makes me think of bachelorette TV show for some reason, maybe the girl's name was trista? I wouldn't worry about the middle name and first name sounding good together - do you ever use your middle name? I love Italian names but I think since my husband and are are both very anglo-saxon it might seem wierd. Not at the playground, but just for me personally. Got to go with what feels right, I think. Oliver is nice as well...

Jan 18, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
e

when i was a kid, the only time i ever heard my middle name combined with my first name was when my parents were calling me after i had done something wrong.

Jan 18, 05 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
turbo

just make it Lucas. Use the force Luke! Please don't name him Tristan....life of misery, Luca is nice, but is definitely still fem.

Jan 18, 05 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

how about 'Yo'.

Then, you can hire Sylvester Stallone to come stand in your back yard at dinner time and yell "Yo, Adrian!"

Jan 19, 05 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

August is a good boy's name

Jan 19, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

HELMUT. (period is essential)

Jan 19, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
ross

name your kid dreyfuss

I dare you.

Jan 19, 05 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

Strawbeary...

I like you and all but..."August" will get a kid sucka-punched at some point in his early life.

Jan 19, 05 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
Museschild

I love the fact that this is a semi-serious conversation. I have no boy's names to contribute, but girl's names:

genevieve
eleanor

Nice and old-fashioned and elegant. But since I have girls names picked out, I will probably have boy triplets, at which point I can now feel comforted knowing that Archinecters will be there for me in the naming process...

Oh, I would go for Lucas Adrian. Tristan makes me think of Brad Pitt in Legends of the Fall, but then, if you want your kid to be an architect/actor, maybe that's a good thing.

Jan 19, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

captain EO - haha, you're probably right. Perhaps August makes a better middle name.

Seems the two most important factors in naming a child is how often he'll get suckerpunched on the playground and how the name will transist into a professional soudning person in later years.

Yet, I know several Chads Matts and Jasons that get suckerpunched anyways. And a couple of "professional" Skippys.

Jan 19, 05 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
innes

Julius

Jan 19, 05 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

Listen, if this is the child of an architect, then odds are he's going to be arrogant and well dressed. I mean, c'mon, aren't we all? So tossing out a name because the kid will get beaten down for it is sort of unnecessary... black turtlenecks and attitude on a 7 year old are a recipe for a beating anyway.

.mm

Jan 19, 05 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

didnt buckminster get beat up when he was a kid?
he should have.

buckminster adrian, say it with me

Jan 19, 05 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Holden was a name someone gave me in my search.
I really loved that name. Luca is good also.

also try

Addison
Cody
Logan

But Never Try

Skip
Niles
Nick
Heath
Francis

Jan 19, 05 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
betamax

Miles.

yes, the child shall be dubbed Miles.

EO hath thusly spoketh justly and such-aroo.

Jan 19, 05 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Whats wrong with Nick or Niles? I love both of those!

Jan 20, 05 8:46 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Myles is a better spelling as Miles sounds as if you've named him after a measurement.

Niles is a bit Fraiser

Jan 20, 05 9:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: