pia555

Well I'll be the first to say it. I think they killed Archinect

May 25, 04 9:30 am
Ddot

Go away, then.

May 25, 04 9:43 am  · 
 · 
French

Well, maybe you should be a little more comprehensive Ddot. It's disturbing for the old users of the site to see that all those hilarious discussions that were going on on the old site have disappeared. And to some of those users, this activity was part of the fun to surf on archinect daily. I'm sure it's just because we still have to get used to the new system, but at the same time I'm curious to see how it's going to evolve: on one hand I completely understand the need for this site to become somehow more serious, but on the other hand I'm sure that the team working on archinect will miss the crowd that was constantly bragging about bullshit all day long on the discussion forum. And when I say miss, I think it's not gonna be only nostalgia: I guess that ther is an important income from the number of visitor checking the links to the books and stuff like that, I just hope that the new and very nice and efficient design won't kill what was a very refreshing architecture related site...

May 25, 04 10:18 am  · 
 · 
mbr

I'll miss the old one, it had it's unique charm, but only students have time to bs all day. I like this new site and I've only been are twice. Information, discussions, links, etc., that all are valuable. For most of us, that's going to go a little farther than some ridiculous discussion about sex at sci arc (although, hey, I've got a new alias so it will all start again soon, I am sure).

I think it was worth the wait and glad to see Paul and Co. have continued on.

May 25, 04 10:33 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

How is it more serious? I don't understand, just becuase it is unfamiliar?

May 25, 04 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Ddot

I read and enjoyed the bull on the old site, too. I even wrote a whole bunch of it. But cripes, if our friend Kellhammer wasn't going to go into detail about the reasons he believes someone killed Archinect, then why should I go into detail about the reasons I think he's wrong?

I was a little confused in navigating the new site, but now I think I've got it figured out just fine. And I was a little hesitant to start blasting away with commentary on the first day, but what do I have to lose? This version of Archinect will surely grow to include all the things you miss, it's already off to a great start.

May 25, 04 10:41 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

I love the proverbial "they."

May 25, 04 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Philip RK Nixon

WELL THEY DIDN'T KILL ME...

May 25, 04 11:14 am  · 
 · 
French

Maybe I was just giving the reasons why I'm scared "they" killed archinect...
but I agree with you, I hope the discussion forum will host more useful discussions than before. And I've never been to sci arc anyway, so why should I care?

May 25, 04 11:14 am  · 
 · 
e

people can still post the same hilarious or childish comments just as before. archinect didn't kill archinect. you're just too scared to be brave enough to stand behind your comments and be accountable. don't push the blame.

May 25, 04 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
French

I would love to ride a plane to come kick your butt but the 2e is out of order right now...

May 25, 04 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I wish all the old threads were still available! Priceless gems.
I want to cry.

May 25, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
threshold

What are you all talking about!? Nothing has changed but the graphics.

You have to register but it is still anonymous.

There are now categories but I would assume that the “Random Tangents” category would be where you want to post your Sci-arch sexploits now. The categories just make it so that if someone does not want to see the low-brow action they don’t have to.

Nothing of the function of Archinect has changed.

May 25, 04 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
A

The only comment I have is that before I could just check out the discussions quick and post a one liner response while I was doing something as mundane as opening an Autocad file. Now with the whole logon process I see myself less apt to fire out some quick response.

Personally I like the new format but I agree that many people will resist posting due to the registration and logon process. To them, if you don't take the time you must not care.

May 25, 04 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

if you leave your browser open all day, you should only have to log on at the beginning of the day. is that so difficult?

May 25, 04 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

It should be logging you in automatically all the time. Check your cookie browser settings.

May 25, 04 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
e

javier, my cookies are enabled, but archinect did require me to log in again today when i came to your site. don't know if this has anything to do with it, but i am mac osX based.

May 25, 04 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

yes, Javier's right - check your cookie settings. you should remain logged-in until you click "log-out". i haven't had to re-login for over 2 weeks.

May 25, 04 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
surface

me too, e, and it logged me in even after I rebooted. Check yo' cache, foo.

May 25, 04 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
e

my cache is fine, and i don't have this problem when i go to nyt.com and other sites. hmmm...

May 25, 04 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

I have had the same. Cookies enabled, but I've had to log in each time. No problems at other sites with required registration.

May 25, 04 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
surface

well I am still on jaguar and not on panther, if that makes a difference to y'all.

May 25, 04 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

ddot and e - the cookies that Archinect sets are not designed to expire, so you should stay logged-in until you choose to log-out. This was tested quite thouroughly during the beta stage.

There are some browsers that have bugs related to cookie storage. Try deleting your cookies - that may solve your problem.

May 25, 04 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Evan Geisler

I love cookies

May 25, 04 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

My mistake. I logged out at the end of the day yesterday.

You guys think of everything.

May 25, 04 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
e

sounds like i probably did the same. thx for the clarity.

May 25, 04 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
icup

I can already see how the post count will work now...anybody with a low post count will be a "newbie" and therefore their comments won't be taken as serious and/or they won't be deemed "credible" by the local archinect toughs/whores that post 1 million times a day...I've seen it happen on tons of other sites already

May 25, 04 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
jhopkins

oh, so you mean it is going to act like any other social paradigm?

May 25, 04 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
Land+Living

Quality over quantity?

May 25, 04 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

icup - the purpose of including the number of entries and posts is so others can view other member's past contributions in order to place their opinions in context. if someone disregards another's opinion just because they haven't participated much, that's their own (unfortunate) prerogative, but i doubt that any intelligent or interesting comment will be ignored, regardless of the posters history here.

May 25, 04 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
A

My complaints about login are mostly for when at work. They are somewhat Nazi like about Internet usage and I cannot have a browser open all the time. Must be more of the IT security team causing me headaches than anything else.

May 25, 04 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

A - it takes about 10 seconds to register and the same to login. once you login, your connection will stay alive until you click "log-out"... even if you quit your browser or reboot your computer.

May 25, 04 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
A

Ahh, I've been hitting log-out when I leave. Then again, I don't want a co-worker making bogus posts when I'm off taking a piss. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

May 25, 04 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

A - your place sounds pretty cut-throat.

May 25, 04 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, anyone that uses a public or shared computer should always log-out when leaving.

May 25, 04 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
A

Yeah, cut throat is right. They have a whole list of blocked websites and if archinect ever becomes one I'm gone.

May 25, 04 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

That's messed up. You should go ballistic on their ass.

May 25, 04 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Seriously, once people discover the beauty that is AE's the bullshit will be back, and I can't wait.

May 25, 04 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
A

Appleseed - what is AE's??

And Gift - yes, I am going ballistic on their asses and that's why I've been looking for a new job.

May 25, 04 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
pia555

Well, I guess I should chime in. I felt like posting my feelings for the new Archinect. Albeit a single sentence . It turned into a lively discussion and detoured to something about cookies. Thats what I loved about V.1 archinect. So...I think I'll hang around somemore.

May 25, 04 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

AE = Alter Ego

May 25, 04 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
icup

"icup - the purpose of including the number of entries and posts is so others can view other member's past contributions in order to place their opinions in context. " Isn't that exactly the problem I am talking about...they will view the members post count and, no matter how much you would like to think they won't take it into account, people will take that into consideration when they listen to what people have to say. Registering is one thing to live with but just because perhaps some don't post much shouldn't be viewed as a negative...a "Joined" date would have been much more appropriate than a post count imo.

May 26, 04 9:30 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

Man, shut up. You only have 2 comments. We aren't listening...

May 26, 04 9:32 am  · 
 · 
icup

hehe

May 26, 04 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Manteno_Montenegro

I love how the text in our posts is double spaced. Reads well.
Did I mention that I plan to access Archinect on a 1st generation Sumukia PDA device made in 1985? Just as soon as I get the proper soldering done and attach one more chip, I'm good to go.

May 26, 04 9:44 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

some people have been complaining about the new archinect. i for one feel that this archinect is much improved. it is my intention, however, to continue typing rediculous, useless messages.

May 26, 04 11:25 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

Hey bossman, how'd you like Michigan?

May 26, 04 11:27 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

michigan is a beautiful place, and its shaped like a hand.

i could say a lot about grad school...what exactly do you want to know?

May 26, 04 11:32 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

I was just trying to make conversation. I was wondering how you liked grad school there, nothing specific.

May 26, 04 11:41 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'd say the main reason to go to UM is for the facilities; the studio, the shops and all that. they have a lot of great faculty as well. they definitely push for a strong, cohesive arguement about the work, as opposed to 'beauty,' which is quite different from where i did my undergrad. i dunno, i could probably go on forever about the advantages and disadvantages of it. UM would probably be a lot more well known and respected if it was on one of the coasts, its too bad actually. for the record though i am actually in school....

May 26, 04 11:48 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

u of m is a great school, but you just wont get the same street cred you would get if you went to a school such as u of detroit

holla

May 26, 04 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: