RIP Behnisch

Jul 14, 10 6:10 pm

From the news yesterday:
http://archinect.com/news/article.php?id=99857_0_24_0_C

With some nice comments as well...

Jul 14, 10 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

Yeah, sorry about posting this topic, Paul. I saw that AFTER I created this one...

Jul 14, 10 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

I'm curious how the career of Behnisch will be remembered as the years pass.
While he never had that larger-than life personality possessed by many of his contemporaries, the work of his office was no less significant or influential.

Furthermore, while most of the changes at Behnisch Architekten have already occurred years ago, but I have to wonder if the practice will continue to move in other directions with the the passing of it's founder.

Here's to a great career Günter. You'll be missed.

Jul 14, 10 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

when i was in undergrad and very suspicious of what was being put out there as 'green' architecture (late 80s) - wanting to buy in, but incapable of accepting that sustainability had to equal underground mounds with bubble windows - behnisch's work was an inspiration. responsible architecture could be beautiful, too!

Jul 14, 10 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i really enjoyed behnisch's work... especially in comparison to his contemporary gottfried böhm.

i wonder what the 'alumni' list of behnisch spinoffs looks like... anyone know?

Jul 15, 10 1:57 am  · 
 · 

holz, a bucket load of current stuttgart offices are of course all ex-behnisch. but imo i don't think the lineage is so visible as the OMA children and grandchildren. and i think many have stayed more local in recognition.

my time at the city office run by stefan behnisch (not günter's sillenbuch office) was a most enjoyable couple of years. i worked on the Genzyme project and at that time it exposed me to approaching design by doing and experimenting rather than 'thinking' to much.

Jul 15, 10 5:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: