Archinect
anchor

What if I design a site plan without any GREEN spaces?

Dear all,

My total concept for designing a site plan which is actually my rooftop, does not go with any kind of planting or Green spaces.... Whatever I try, seems ridiculous on a whole white organization!
Whats ur opinion about this issue! Is that a harsh cruelty towards nature?
By the way, my site is located in a compressed urban fabric...
wait for some ideas!

Jun 23, 10 5:22 pm
marmkid

maybe a bit more info would help

is this a school project?
your entire "site" is the roof of a building, correct?
is "green" space in the program?
what is a "whole white organization"?

Jun 23, 10 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
C-anad

well, yeah its a school project, and it is a media center. yes, the entire site is the roof of the building.
about the program, I have to determine whether or not I would want to have some green spaces in the plan! but as I have never done that before in my design projects, it seems a bit odd to me not to have any green spaces! so im confused! because I've applied a whole white pattern on the roof, and there is almost no other color in this pattern organization! all white! and whatever green I try on the roof, seems to be not in an appropriate order or location! I mean it corrupts the purity of the concept!

Is that cruel?

Jun 23, 10 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

I dont really follow the whole white pattern on the roof concept you are talking about

But perhaps adjusting the pattern to allow for green to be integrated would make it feel less "forced", which sounds like is what your problem with it is

Dont just add a couple of planters to say you have "green" space up there, I agree, that wont go over very well

not really knowing your design or the program, its hard to give any more advice or critique

Jun 23, 10 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
marmkid

"I mean it corrupts the purity of the concept!

Is that cruel?"

I dont follow what the concept is, beyond being "white"

Jun 23, 10 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

is it possible that this "concept" you have developed maybe needs to be thrown out?

Jun 23, 10 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
grid

use white plants

Jun 23, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

You and Mies, apparently.

Jun 23, 10 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I don't know how tall your building is, but you could have balconies as green spaces.

Without a better idea of your "white" roof, I can't say why green spaces wouldn't fit in.

Remember, not all green spaces are the color green. You can have plants that are tan, brown, purple, orange...

Jun 23, 10 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Ah, the good old 'white is pure' concept. Right up there with 'church as cross' and 'solar panels stuck to the roof = green'.

Jun 23, 10 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

Oops, forgot how t resize pics on here.

Jun 23, 10 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

My curiousity is piqued, but I have no idea what the OP is talking about.

Could you show us a sketch or something?

Jun 23, 10 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

white roofs are greeen!

obama's green guru calls for white roofs

Jun 23, 10 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

whenever I hear "purity of the concept" I reach for my gun..........

Jun 23, 10 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

PURITY OF THE CONCEPT!!!!!!

*waits*

Jun 23, 10 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
Milwaukee08

I got to meet Secretary Chu at the Solar Decathalon, seems like a decent fellow.

And I'm wondering, if you live in a cold climate, like here in the Midwest, is it best to have black roofs? Because you spend so much more energy heating than cooling. Except for commercial buildings, perhaps, who have the AC blasting all summer long, even when it's a beautiful 75 degrees outside. Maybe have gray roofs for them?

Anyways, I wish C-anad had like a simple rendering to look at.

Remind me if I ever post anything on Archinect that I want a critique of to post pictures with it.

Jun 23, 10 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

first page! (in possibly an epic thread)

Jun 23, 10 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

what chu talkin' 'bout, Milwaukee08?!?

yes, in a cold climate a darker roof can benefit you but overall if we all just go to white roofs we can reverse global warming.

as chu says in the article i linked 'More pale surfaces could also slow global warming by reflecting heat into space rather than allowing it to be absorbed by dark surfaces where it is trapped by greenhouse gases and increases temperatures.'

so if you're in the midwest it is important not to absorb excessive heat thereby causing global warming. everything must be white lest we drown in rising oceans, which are blue, but that's beside the point.

white is green do not compromise the purity of the concept.

Jun 23, 10 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
BlueMoon

Who would want to hang out on the roof of media center in hot summer if there will be no shade? Hence, nobody will ever see your beautiful white pattern. Besides, usually, in real life, people view / experience space in perspective, rather than in plan (if what you are concerned about is a floor pattern).

Not seeing your pattern, cannot tell more... but maybe you can replace parts of it with greenery? Like, let's say, every fifth element of pattern of certain shape could be a planter of the same shape , only "extruded".

Jun 24, 10 7:12 am  · 
 · 
Urbanist

Seriously though, green roofs compete with both PV space and with the prospect for high albedo white roofs. Depending on the usage of the building (day versus night) and the the climate/solar exposure, green roofs aren't necessarily the best answer from an overall energy efficiency/thermal management point of view. There are trade-offs.

Green roofs do have the additional benefit of helping with stormwater mgmt, of course, but this is only paramount in some climates.

No clear answers.

Jun 24, 10 9:19 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

and that very well might be a good reason for him to not have any green space on his roof

thats a bit more of an explanation that will go over well rather than not wanting to disrupt a "white" pattern concept

if only we could get a little more info from the OP.....

Jun 24, 10 9:21 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

from personal experience, you need welding goggles to be up on a white roof in albuquerque in the summer.

Jun 24, 10 10:37 am  · 
 · 
C-anad

thanks for your responses! Though I still haven't decided what to do, your ideas helped me to broaden my horizons! As I still haven't prepared any clear rendering of the design, I cannot post anything here to go further.

but I needed to say something about this " purity of the concept "
Maybe saying concept here causes lots of arguments! What I meant by saying that, was that Green doesnt go with the applied perspective! and I like this white on the roof! Lets say I like this created form which is dependent on the white color significantly!

and let me shed light on some comments:

@marmkid: u were smart to recognize that being white was not the main concept!thanks...
@ milwaukee: im not living in US! here we have all types of climates, but lets say that the focus is on its being warm and sunny! kinda dry! and that makes me a lil concerned about the unpleasant reflections of white , too! although the site is located at a mostly green avenue! lots of tall trees! and enough shadows...
@ FRac: helpful comments:)
@ doza: the pattern is depicted with the created stairs on the roof! well, lets make it clear: the pattern Im talking about is more functional rather than formal...
@ Urbanist: ur right! other factors should be taken into account as well as the sustainability! The reflection I talked about ( above in this comment ) is one of the main facets Im cooncerned about! though the trees near the site create shadows!

haha!anyway, I will work on it! will be glad to hear more!

Jun 24, 10 10:39 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

I was up on the roof of a project last week with a white roof here in Philadelphia, and it is blinding

Jun 24, 10 10:39 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

chu know, obama wants us all to have white roofs

can we, yes?

Jun 24, 10 11:27 am  · 
 · 
C-anad

Yes We Can!

Jun 24, 10 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
achensch

white roofs, and reflective soffits on armatures for sunken hangout spaces w/ veg?

Jun 24, 10 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Epic Troll.

Jun 24, 10 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

c-Anad, You're choice of the word "sustainability" to describe green roofing is a little different than what I think that word should mean. Sustainable design entails things other than green cover. In dry. warm climates with low rainfall and lots of solar radiation - especially on south facing roofs in the northern hemisphere, you may find that high albedo roofing is actually more sustainable.. certainly from an energy/cooling and thermal mgmt standpoint. PVs would also be highly sustainable in that context.

Jun 25, 10 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

BITCHES DON'T KNOW 'BOUT MY MIRROR ROOF GARDEN.

SHIT BE REFLECTING OVER 99.9% OF THE SPECTRUM.

Jun 25, 10 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

well unicorn.. one can go too far with that one. Ever heard about frying eggs with the reflected solar energy of Gehry's museum in LA?

Then there's his Bilbao Abu Dhabi building:

the reflected radiation from that building should be sufficient for use as an offensive anti-aircraft weapon.

Jun 25, 10 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

The good news is if it's in a "compressed urban fabric" it's not going to be white for very long.

Jun 27, 10 6:17 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

"Purity of Concept"? "Whole White Organization"?

Kids today!

Jun 27, 10 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
C-anad

what do u mean kids today?

Jun 27, 10 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
phld21

I'm not sure of the size of your roof, but you might want to try and respond to the patterns of "the compressed urban fabric" in some way. Also, if the roof is meant to be occupied than maybe white isn't the best way to go because of the "blinding" effect mentioned earlier. Maybe this "pattern" you have can be manipulated into 3-dimensions to provide shading and comfortable occupiable spaces. Otherwise I would look at other "roof" case studies. The Highline is an example. How does the elevated position effect views on the site etc.

Also this Kindergarten in Japan is a good project to study.

http://www.tezuka-arch.com/japanese/works/fuji/01.html

What will people be doing on your roof, why would they go up there? You have to be careful because a roofspace could very easily become dead space if there is no reason to be there.

Jun 28, 10 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Also the period is down near your right hand shift key.

Jun 28, 10 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: