Archinect
anchor

water closet toilet clearance

madesign

I'm looking for some reference in the 2007 building code for basic required clearances around a toilet. In the 2001 there was section 2904, which stated that there was 30" minimum width and 24" minimum depth in front of the toilet. This section has disappeared in the 2007 code. What are the current requirements and where do I find them in the code?

Note that this is NOT about handicap accessibility--just basic clearance requirements.

thanks!

Jun 16, 10 12:06 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

it really depends on what your state code has adopted/changed.

Jun 16, 10 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
madesign

I'm using the California building code--

Jun 16, 10 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

where is the building? what type of building is it? Occupancy load?
what are the codes that that jurisdiction requires? is this a buildout or new building? construction type? occupant load? ill see what i can find.

Mr. Madasign,
just a little speech dont take it the wrong way.
Before you look it up in ibc or a117.1, ask yourself what is the ethical thing to do here? If i was there what kind of room would i need? think compassionately.

Jun 16, 10 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
madesign

This is a residence, R-3, construction type 5. This is a remodel--I'm working with a very constricted space in one area. Definitely focused on compassionate design, especially as this is someone's home, just need to know my minimum parameters to work this out--

thanks much for any assistance--

Jun 16, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

i was just looking for this the other day .. more free code advice/searches:

2007 california plumbing code chapter 4 - see 407.6

-15 inches center to side wall or obstruction
-30 inches center to center to similar fixtures (like w.c. to bidet)
-24 inches clear space in front of w.c. or bidet
-12 inches for urinals to side wall or obstruction and 24 inches urinal to urinal (hey buddy, you're a little too close ..)

but you know, it's a good idea to give a little room for field conditions so try to go 32 inches clear, etc. etc.

Jun 16, 10 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

IRC 2006

P2705.1 General

5. The centerline of water closets or bidets shall not be less than 15 inches (381 mm) from adjacent walls or partitions or not less than 15 inches (381 mm) from the centerline of a bidet to the outermost rim of an adjacent water closet. There shall be at least 21 inches (533 mm) clearance in front of the water closet, bidet or lavatory to any wall, fixture or door.

remember that these are minimum numbers.

Now give the client what they need. Go show the jurisdiction what you gave the client and see if it meets code, and more importantly the clients expectation.

Give the client atleast 30" in front of the stall so can swing his/her arm around to do his business know what i mean?

good luck

Jun 16, 10 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
madesign

Great, thank you FRaC! Was pulling my hair out trying to find this..

Jun 16, 10 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
madesign

Thanks much, D.A.--

Jun 16, 10 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

if madesign's working in a very constricted space, the minimum code requirements will definitely meet the client's needs. if you have to go to 30" clear width in order to get a lavatory and tub in there without knocking down walls then that's being a good architect/designer. and the 24" clearance (per 2007 cali plumbing code) in front of the fixture is plenty of room for the client to 'do his business' unless the client is morbidly obese.

Jun 16, 10 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

The code resource guidelines certainly help, but really...

This is a residential project? Go sit on a toilet with a tape measure and measure out what feels comfortable, acceptable, and restrictive. This is a case where an architect needs to get away from the drawings and experience space with their own body. See the project from the user's view, not the godlike view we take on plans.

Jun 16, 10 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Holy shit Donna... you mean leave the computer? I guess, if it's a laptop, I can take it with me...

Jun 16, 10 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

LOL wurdan!

Jun 16, 10 11:05 pm  · 
 · 

I can see the cartoon now... dark red boots, polka dot boxers at the ankles whilst holding a tape measure side to side. Brilliant!!

But Donna is absolutely correct. 12" cc for urinal... wow! But wait isn't this residential?? Shared commode in a house - perfect for parties and barmitzvahs

Jun 16, 10 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: