Archinect
anchor

Piano's Kimbell Art Museum Expansion

juan moment

So the final design for Renzo's expansion to the Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth, TX was quietly released last week. It was praised by Ouroussoff in the New York Timesand will break ground in 2 months in August. The 2007 preliminary design was controversial for Piano's decision to build in the great lawn instead of the planned open site to the east neighboring the east neighboring Ando's Fort Worth Modern Art Museum. The finalized design is a refined version of the first placed roughly 90' from the Kimbell in the west lawn which has been argued restores Kahn's original intent for people to enter from the west. In the past, some have argued that the lawn and park is an important part of kahn's design and experience and should not be tampered with. Ourousoff states in his article that "anyone who has walked this route the sense of inner quiet is unforgettable; and that experience will now be partly lost." Piano says he has placed the building “at the right distance for a conversation, not too close and not too far away.”

There's been very little discussion, for or against the design since it's release a week ago. Often regarded by historians and architects as arguably one of the best buildings of the 20th century, I find it surprising there hasn't been more discussion over Renzo's proposal. In 1989, when Giurgola unveiled his proposal for a kimbell expansion, the project was cancelled after being knocked down by critics around the world.

So, what do you guys think?

Jun 3, 10 3:39 pm
juan moment
juan moment

Maybe part of the problem is that it's nearly impossible to understand the project from the few images that have been released. No renderings whatsoever of the outdoor public spaces or any idea of how the space between the buildings will work.

https://www.kimbellart.org/Uploads/News/docs/Kimbell_Expansion_Press_Kit.zip

Is this typical for renzo to release so few and vague images, especially for such an important project?

Jun 5, 10 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

Sadly, Chicago's Modern wing is already coming apart at the seams.

Jun 6, 10 12:50 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i see that piano's scheme, by the placement of the addition on the site, will create three zones: the shared outdoor space between the two buildings, the inside of the new building, and the open space between the new addition and will rogers road. although it's part of the whole campus, the open space adjacent to will rogers road kind of starts to belong strictly to the new addition. it might be more of a consequence of the building's placement but there is still a hint of the 'sequence of outdoor spaces'. there is now a south lawn. i agree with ouroussoff that the experience of the 'perfect' approach, of course, will be diminished.

looks like the actual building will be similar to the beyeler. the beyeler building and the surrounding outdoor spaces, to me, were so nicely balanced that the experience is of the whole site rather than the individual architecture. if that's the case, then i think the addition will be quiet and subdued enough that the park experience will still be there.

Jun 7, 10 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
mk2

it seems all his additions projects are quite... expected? (in terms of offsetting the new in a very subtle way to not destroy anything of the original work of art...)

of course, there are probably aspects in each unique project that are way over my head.. but i would have liked to see one attempt that really connects the two in a decisive and brutal manner.. rather than the new always playing second best..

Jun 8, 10 11:26 am  · 
 · 
blah

mespellrong,

In what way is the modern wing coming apart?

Jun 8, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
blah

The thing I find interesting about Piano's work is how the natural lighting at many of his buildings such as the Modern Wing is ignored or covered up as much as possible. It's sorta' like the Pompidou where Johnson said that he championed the project because change was built into it. It never did.

Jun 8, 10 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
THuh

What!?!? My gut reaction is how dare anyone add to a Kahn design!!!!! (I will go ahead and actually read the rest of the article as well as review the design before I make further judgement...other than that.....I almost had a heart attack!!!)

Jun 8, 10 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

Here's an interesting article by critic Martin Filler that heavily criticizes the expansion plans:

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2010/jun/25/kimbell-gamble/

Jul 13, 10 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

The article also confirms how the Kimbell is intentionally keeping their plans as low key as possible to avoid any possible criticism before the project breaks ground next month.

"Attendees at Piano’s May press briefing in New York, when the plans were first unveiled, were bidden to embargo their stories until the Kimbell board had approved the scheme at the end of the month, timing likely intended to circumvent negative press reaction of the sort that scuppered Giurgola’s proposal two decades ago. Inklings that this was a done deal were confirmed by news that the addition’s extra-long, custom-fabricated Douglas fir roof beams have already been ordered. "

Jul 13, 10 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
mastersachin

Like Find best iphone 4 case. Apple recently launch iphone 4 that is big launch from apple readmore : [url=http://www.iphone40case.com]iphone
4 cases[/url]|iphone 4 case|prostate cancer symptoms

Jul 16, 10 7:56 am  · 
 · 
mastersachin

hi every body i like it iphone 4 cases

Jul 16, 10 7:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: